Tigers v Quins

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kelmat

Re: Tigers v Quins

Post by kelmat »

Noddy555 wrote:That was a good workman like win today with both teams missing many star names. Now let's follow this up with a bonus point win against Bristol on Friday when 1st teamers like Youngs, Cole, Petersen & Veianu should be back from International duty. Should we get the 5 points and other results go our way we cpuld find ourselves only 2 points behind 3rd spot in the league. But can someone in our coaching staff probably Cockers as he was a hooker take Tom Youngs aside and teach him how to throw properly how to throw into a line out. It was also notable that the line out deteriorated rapidly when Croft was injured and replaced, Please say it's just a niggle and pray he'll be fit for Friday.
He failed an HIA assessment.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Clowbeck wrote:Kitto was frustrating to watch yesterday, he must have OCD! Pointing out every suspect infringement in a ruck to the ref or screaming for props to cover his flanks before distributing ball. This behavior gave us no impetus, what a difference when Harrison came on. I dont think Kitto is a natural 9, and certainly isnt ready for so much APL exposure.
I'm always wary of comparing the performance of someone who comes on 'fresh' against a tiring opposition with 20 minutes to go with the guy who's done the 'hard yards' for the first 60. This often convinced people that Mele had outperformed YBY.

That said - I think Shazza is in a different class to Jon O'Kitto!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought Tait, Thompstone, Burns and Bateman played well, also Slater looked good and Fitzgerald is a better lock than blindside and Harrison made a big difference when he came on.
Big question marks over the scrum and with the worsening weather and a run of tough fixtures to come I think it has been short sighted not to play McGuigan up to speed recently, given that Ayerza limped off injured the coming weeks could be very testing.
I thought some of Quins play was shockingly poor, it was a decent contest up front but their kicking for touch in the last quarter was abysmal, I'm surprised that they haven't been linked with a new 10 because they need one badly when Evans isn't playing.
Lots of injuries and HIA's and such, as the weather tightens up matches they seem to increase, can't help but think an extended Premiership season into May/June with a mid-winter break whilst all the other stuff goes on would help, and keep the cold out of the stands! :smt009
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

For me Kitto has literally gone backwards, when he first appeared he was very quick from the base now he is slow and ponderous. Beggars the question why this has happened, it has shades of deja vu with Ben Youngs in a Tigers shirt compared to England. Biggest positive of the game for me was our defence, in particular our tackling which now seems to be primarily around the legs and as a result is more effective. I also notice that a tackling drill now forms part of the pre match warm up. Happy days.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

sapajo wrote:For me Kitto has literally gone backwards, when he first appeared he was very quick from the base now he is slow and ponderous. Beggars the question why this has happened, it has shades of deja vu with Ben Youngs in a Tigers shirt compared to England. Biggest positive of the game for me was our defence, in particular our tackling which now seems to be primarily around the legs and as a result is more effective. I also notice that a tackling drill now forms part of the pre match warm up. Happy days.
Couldn't make my mind up if it was Kitto or whether it was simply the other players were simply ambling into position and never offered themselves for a quick pass?
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I tend to agree Sapajo - all our scrum halves seem to freeze when they see the ball come out of a ruck ! They don't seem to realise that the longer it takes them to decide what to do with it the easier it is to get the opposing defence organised .If any one of them comes on for the last 15 minutes they always play with more urgency then when they start the match .Its so :censored: frustrating .
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Probably one of my biggest moans is the dilly-dallying behind the breakdown. It makes sense to be in like a rocket and get the ball clear (what we always used to practise and then coach) as it often gives you a partly-broken field to attack. Old skool rugby from 50s/60s does feature fast scrummaging followed by fast exit and speedy back play - always a shock for young 'uns to see a match from that era (plus the line outs, the mauls and the violence).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I watched some of the Ireland v NZ game and when Ireland were on top at the start of the second half their rucking was fantastic and the quick ball which Connor Murray provided to his 10 exceptional.

Really was impressive and the contrast with Tigers yesterday (especially in the first half) could not have been more extreme.
Soggypitch
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I thought our defence was good. We mugged Quins at the breakdown which is a good effort given they had both Wallace and Ward on the pitch. They had some big ball carriers with a couple of PI options and England under 20 starlets in the backs that never got anywhere as knocked their forwards backwards and pressed the backs quickly forcing them out of room.

We forced a lot of errors on a grim day. Grinding out games in this weather is the mindset we need to be in. Concede no tries and keep the scoreboard ticking over in our favour.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Slater had his best game since he came back from his knee injury.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

jgriffin wrote:Probably one of my biggest moans is the dilly-dallying behind the breakdown. It makes sense to be in like a rocket and get the ball clear (what we always used to practise and then coach) as it often gives you a partly-broken field to attack. Old skool rugby from 50s/60s does feature fast scrummaging followed by fast exit and speedy back play - always a shock for young 'uns to see a match from that era (plus the line outs, the mauls and the violence).
That's what happens when you remove rucking from the game. The ability to ruck the ball and keep the momentum was paramount. IMO the game has lost a lot of its 'umph' as a simple game due to the rule changes.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Well Wormus if I didn't make these occasional gaffes by forgetting that England and other nations still had 1 more match to play in the Autumn series thus depriving us of several players, you wouldn't have anything to comment about to brighten up your sad little life.