Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:Slightly frustrating though that these dream teams involved signing players to block the progression of our best academy prospects into the side. :smt003
Guess that is down to squad balance though.
He/she (Charlie being a name that swings both ways) is simply being opportunist and jump on anything to seek satisfaction.
Good players will progress, just not good enough at present, Evans for example will just as Manu and Harrison once did.
Important thing is squad balance as RagingBull states.
Some good players at Leicester but the balance isn't right.
Training facilities have been mentioned as has the rise of strength and conditioning at other clubs, if it's affordable it would be very beneficial moving forward for Leicester to try and gain a physical edge in certain areas and better game management.
Unfortunately no time to develop these areas and IMO it needs to be ASAP to seriously challenge the best teams.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

BFG wrote:
RagingBull wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:Slightly frustrating though that these dream teams involved signing players to block the progression of our best academy prospects into the side. :smt003
Guess that is down to squad balance though.
He/she (Charlie being a name that swings both ways) is simply being opportunist and jump on anything to seek satisfaction.
Not really; just stating a fact (and try to inject a little humour into what is becoming quite a miserable forum). Why waste the cap on a player from the SH or elsewhere when you have capable academy graduates? We're always bashing our academy and it's lack of products after all.

BOC was a good signing, complements Evans well and it may be that some of his influence has already accelerated the former's development. Do we need a full back to do the same? With the right player perhaps - and the name mentioned, Woodward, maybe the sort of player fulfil that type of role. The Scott Hamilton/Craig Newby type (international experience would be nice but obviously comes at a price) that can offer a little versatility.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Had a quick chat with Matt Toomua at half-time yesterday - told me he's on the mend but still upwards of 4 months away from playing.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

strawclearer wrote:Had a quick chat with Matt Toomua at half-time yesterday - told me he's on the mend but still upwards of 4 months away from playing.
I think we need to face the fact that we won't see him this season and if we do it'll give us something to be happy about! That said, 10-12-13 worked quite nicely yesterday, with Manu giving the physicality and Roberts' running and tackling anything that came his way. Quite a nice balance, albeit lacking a kicking option.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ben Smith linked with Munster

Surely we can compete with them.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

No money/cap left this season, and I doubt the incumbents are making plans yet for next!
Valhalla I am coming!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

fleabane wrote:No money/cap left this season, and I doubt the incumbents are making plans yet for next!
Certainly not if any of the rumours on the various forums are true. :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote:Ben Smith linked with Munster

Francis Saili is due to head back to NZ so Munster will have a big chunk of salary budget available to spend. I don't think any like for like big names are due to leave us. Munster spent big to land Saili rumoured to be 500k Euros. Would we want to spend that kind of money on a 30 year old full back?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote:

Francis Saili is due to head back to NZ so Munster will have a big chunk of salary budget available to spend. I don't think any like for like big names are due to leave us. Munster spent big to land Saili rumoured to be 500k Euros. Would we want to spend that kind of money on a 30 year old full back?
Can't see the IRFU allowing it with Leinster and Ulster having foreign 15's though.

For Ben Smith I would, although rather a 8.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote:
sam16111986 wrote:

Can't see the IRFU allowing it with Leinster and Ulster having foreign 15's though.

For Ben Smith I would, although rather a 8.
Isn't Kirchner due to leave Leinster at the end of the season? Ireland don't normally struggle for full backs either what with the Galic Football roots of a number of the players mean they are good under the high ball and can kick well. Be an odd move for Munster when Zebo is one of their best players.

If we're going to invest big I'd prefer to do that in the back row or maybe the front row. Extra physicality up front is what we need.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Glaws after Owen Williams apparently to replace Hook?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerCam wrote:Glaws after Owen Williams apparently to replace Hook?
That rumour been around for a while now.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

RagingBull wrote:
TigerCam wrote:Glaws after Owen Williams apparently to replace Hook?
That rumour been around for a while now.
In print in TRP for what is it worth? I guess they will be on the phone Jan 1.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

Frankly I reckon we'd be a good deal better off if we dispensed with the annual player merry-go-round, stuck with the squad we already have and try to get some consistency and continuity in our play. Otherwise we seem to be forever "bedding in new systems" and "trying to play a different way".
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ancientmariner wrote:Frankly I reckon we'd be a good deal better off if we dispensed with the annual player merry-go-round, stuck with the squad we already have and try to get some consistency and continuity in our play. Otherwise we seem to be forever "bedding in new systems" and "trying to play a different way".
:smt023 :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.