Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by Seal »

Why does everyone think Genge is out of contract? He only signed a full deal last season, we'd have been stupid to only give him a 1 year contract.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Seal wrote:Why does everyone think Genge is out of contract? He only signed a full deal last season, we'd have been stupid to only give him a 1 year contract.

Becuase Genge has said he is out of contract.
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Seal »

When? Source? I've not seen this.
os99

Post by os99 »

Seal wrote:When? Source? I've not seen this.
http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured ... leicester/
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Seal »

Thanks for that. Seems like he wants to stay anyway. Hopefully no-one else offers him stupid money.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Seal wrote:Thanks for that. Seems like he wants to stay anyway. Hopefully no-one else offers him stupid money.

I would hope that he has already been re-signed and the club are waiting to make some announcements.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Hinckley Bob wrote:
Seal wrote:Thanks for that. Seems like he wants to stay anyway. Hopefully no-one else offers him stupid money.

I would hope that he has already been re-signed and the club are waiting to make some announcements.
A good wage and the chance to learn from Marcos ought to be persuasive.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I really think he is past the stage of learning from Marcos . He and Barrow are our star forwards and will be the cornerstone of the pack for years to come .If Cohen has not already sorted Genge's contract out he should be shot - his price is going up by the week !
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

MikeR wrote:I really think he is past the stage of learning from Marcos . He and Barrow are our star forwards and will be the cornerstone of the pack for years to come .If Cohen has not already sorted Genge's contract out he should be shot - his price is going up by the week !
I do not have any concerns that Gengie is going elsewhere and after the man of Match performance last night against Adam Jones and others I have confidence that several new contracts are ready to announce. I hope some of the young talent are included Wells, Catchpole etc.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

MikeR wrote:I really think he is past the stage of learning from Marcos .
There's always something to be learnt, he'd be daft not to take any/all advice or tips on board.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Seal »

Nothing to be learnt from one of, if not the best looseheads in World Rugby over the past decade as a 1-cap 21 year old??? Interesting opinion.

His scrummaging, one of his main weaknesses when he joined, has come on leaps and bounds over the past season, and is quickly becoming a strength. With the front row pedigree of Cockers, Ayerza, Stankovich + england set-up, it's no wonder. I really hope he reaslises that when it comes to sorting out his contract.

Even Mauger said post-match last night that they've put a lot of effort into developing him.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I'd hope they sign up Genge, I'd be worried that Mulipola might be going down the same route as Alex Corbisiero with a chronic knee injury.
LJS

Post by LJS »

I agree Gengey is the present and future no.1. I hope the delay is just a case of agreeing the right price.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote:
Seal wrote:Why does everyone think Genge is out of contract? He only signed a full deal last season, we'd have been stupid to only give him a 1 year contract.

He's said his new contract hasn't been fully agreed yet. He doesn't say he's out of contract. If he was due to hit the market in the summer then they'd be a lot more speculation surrounding him. Reading that I presume he has a season left after this season but due to his squad position and international status he is looking for a better deal and Tigers are looking to get him signed up for a lot longer.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

sam16111986 wrote:
RagingBull wrote:

He's said his new contract hasn't been fully agreed yet. He doesn't say he's out of contract. If he was due to hit the market in the summer then they'd be a lot more speculation surrounding him. Reading that I presume he has a season left after this season but due to his squad position and international status he is looking for a better deal and Tigers are looking to get him signed up for a lot longer.
Makes sense.