Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Locked
jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7270
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by jgriffin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:21 am

old one eye wrote:Bimble was in common use in the Royal Navy in the sixties
Just to go back off-thread, consensus about ' bimble' amongst my ex-forces siblings and family (who live mostly in Exeter)it's Marine/Navy slang that's probably spread from Plymouth/Portsmouth throughout SW England.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by tigercaspian » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:26 pm

jgriffin wrote:
old one eye wrote:Bimble was in common use in the Royal Navy in the sixties
Just to go back off-thread, consensus about ' bimble' amongst my ex-forces siblings and family (who live mostly in Exeter)it's Marine/Navy slang that's probably spread from Plymouth/Portsmouth throughout SW England.
I learn stuff on here that I just can't get elsewhere. Basic Infantry Manoeuvre But Lacking Effort - love it!
Tigerbeat, please don't make us go back on-thread......for once.....!

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4040
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by strawclearer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:55 pm

tigercaspian wrote:
jgriffin wrote:
old one eye wrote:Bimble was in common use in the Royal Navy in the sixties
Just to go back off-thread, consensus about ' bimble' amongst my ex-forces siblings and family (who live mostly in Exeter)it's Marine/Navy slang that's probably spread from Plymouth/Portsmouth throughout SW England.
I learn stuff on here that I just can't get elsewhere. Basic Infantry Manoeuvre But Lacking Effort - love it!
Tigerbeat, please don't make us go back on-thread......for once.....!
Having introduced 'bimble' to the forum, I don't know whether to feel proud or guilty - or both! It was originally said to me by a friend who saw me gazing into the middle distance with a vacant expression on my face. Unaware that this was my usual mien, she suggested I was "bimbling in la-la-land"! (This was well before the film, btw!)

In this particular thread - where we go through protracted periods of 'no news or rumours' - 'bimbling' simply allows us to 'tread water' in anticipation of exciting transfer (fake) news. We'll 'go back on thread' in an instant!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives

TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 898
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:16 pm
Location: London

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by TomWeston » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Where is Noddy when you need some piercing insight, I thought, and blow me down I saw that he was live on the Forum.

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7270
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by jgriffin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:08 pm

TomWeston wrote:Where is Noddy when you need some piercing insight, I thought, and blow me down I saw that he was live on the Forum.
'On the forum' and 'live' are not necessarily connected as states of being.....
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 898
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:16 pm
Location: London

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by TomWeston » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:30 pm

jgriffin wrote:
TomWeston wrote:Where is Noddy when you need some piercing insight, I thought, and blow me down I saw that he was live on the Forum.
'On the forum' and 'live' are not necessarily connected as states of being.....
You are, of course, quite correct. Please excuse my foolish presumption.

Cagey Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1932
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: South Lincolnshire

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by Cagey Tiger » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:30 am

kornboy130 wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:
Also on tonight on BTSport 1 @ 9pm.

This season's usual mucking about, with Rugby Tonight on Wednesdays except for Champions League weeks when we get Rugby Tonight Extra. BT's way of spending less on Rugby. Move RT from Monday's where it didn't clash with anything, to Wednesday's, where it clashes with CL,and replace it with RTE. Plus stop RTE on Thursdays. So instead of 1.5 hours of RT and 0.5 hours of RTE every week, we just get one or the other.
there's a real victim complex amongst Rugby fans on this so I'm unsurprised to see comments like this - but to chastise BT in any capacity for spending less on Rugby show show easy it is to forget the days of Sky's Premiership coverage.
No, I do not have a victim complex and I appreciate that BT's coverage and RT are much better (IMHO) than Sky's. But to use the improvement as a reason to not criticise? Hitler initially brought many improvements and increased prosperity to Germany. Using your logic, because things were better when he started than before he came to power, we can't criticise him because later on WWII and the Holocaust happened.

Following BT's signing of European football, we have ended up paying more, for less of an inferior product (RT vs RTE). So yes, I will make comments about this.

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1180
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:31 pm
Location: With the PFJ

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by loretta » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:54 am

2 points.

1. Godwins Law now applies

2. On a squad transfer thread?
I find your lack of faith......disturbing.

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4223
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by sam16111986 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:59 am

Cagey Tiger wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:
Also on tonight on BTSport 1 @ 9pm.

This season's usual mucking about, with Rugby Tonight on Wednesdays except for Champions League weeks when we get Rugby Tonight Extra. BT's way of spending less on Rugby. Move RT from Monday's where it didn't clash with anything, to Wednesday's, where it clashes with CL,and replace it with RTE. Plus stop RTE on Thursdays. So instead of 1.5 hours of RT and 0.5 hours of RTE every week, we just get one or the other.
there's a real victim complex amongst Rugby fans on this so I'm unsurprised to see comments like this - but to chastise BT in any capacity for spending less on Rugby show show easy it is to forget the days of Sky's Premiership coverage.
No, I do not have a victim complex and I appreciate that BT's coverage and RT are much better (IMHO) than Sky's. But to use the improvement as a reason to not criticise? Hitler initially brought many improvements and increased prosperity to Germany. Using your logic, because things were better when he started than before he came to power, we can't criticise him because later on WWII and the Holocaust happened.

Following BT's signing of European football, we have ended up paying more, for less of an inferior product (RT vs RTE). So yes, I will make comments about this.
Speak for yourself I now pay less for a far greater product (BT being free with broadband and me cancelling Sky Sports).

kornboy130
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4686
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:48 pm
Location: Behind You

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by kornboy130 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:56 am

Cagey Tiger wrote: No, I do not have a victim complex and I appreciate that BT's coverage and RT are much better (IMHO) than Sky's. But to use the improvement as a reason to not criticise? Hitler initially brought many improvements and increased prosperity to Germany. Using your logic, because things were better when he started than before he came to power, we can't criticise him because later on WWII and the Holocaust happened.

Following BT's signing of European football, we have ended up paying more, for less of an inferior product (RT vs RTE). So yes, I will make comments about this.
The victim complex was a wider comment about the covgage/treatment of Rugby by t.v. channels rather than directed personally at you - that being said this couldn't be a purer case of Godwin's law or a poorer application of logic. Unless of course you're suggesting 30 mins less of Rugby is to BTs increased and broader coverage when compare to sky what the Holocaust and WW2 are to Germany's initial economic up turn in the 1930s in terms of severity. In that case we disagree.

Anyway has anyone actually heard any rumours? Ford and Kalamafoni aside who are good additions - are any of our players supposed to be leaving by the most recent run round the rumour mill?

Cagey Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1932
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: South Lincolnshire

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by Cagey Tiger » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:45 am

kornboy130 wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote: No, I do not have a victim complex and I appreciate that BT's coverage and RT are much better (IMHO) than Sky's. But to use the improvement as a reason to not criticise? Hitler initially brought many improvements and increased prosperity to Germany. Using your logic, because things were better when he started than before he came to power, we can't criticise him because later on WWII and the Holocaust happened.

Following BT's signing of European football, we have ended up paying more, for less of an inferior product (RT vs RTE). So yes, I will make comments about this.
The victim complex was a wider comment about the covgage/treatment of Rugby by t.v. channels rather than directed personally at you - that being said this couldn't be a purer case of Godwin's law or a poorer application of logic. Unless of course you're suggesting 30 mins less of Rugby is to BTs increased and broader coverage when compare to sky what the Holocaust and WW2 are to Germany's initial economic up turn in the 1930s in terms of severity. In that case we disagree.

Anyway has anyone actually heard any rumours? Ford and Kalamafoni aside who are good additions - are any of our players supposed to be leaving by the most recent run round the rumour mill?
There could not be a better example of the application of pure logic (severity has nothing to do with logic). You are saying that just because something is better than what came before, it is beyond criticism. I gave an example (extreme, I'll give you) where applying the logic of your argument is obviously a load of old...

To make a small alteration to your words, purely in terms of the subjects, not the logic:

but to chastise Hitler in any capacity for making things worse shows how easy it is to forget the days of the Wiemar Republic.

Tigerbeat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5595
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: The big wide world

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by Tigerbeat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:00 am

Are there any transfers to discuss?
Kalemefoni, Ford?

Any others being rumoured?
Mike Brown?

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk

kornboy130
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4686
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:48 pm
Location: Behind You

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by kornboy130 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:26 am

Cagey Tiger wrote: There could not be a better example of the application of pure logic (severity has nothing to do with logic). You are saying that just because something is better than what came before, it is beyond criticism. I gave an example (extreme, I'll give you) where applying the logic of your argument is obviously a load of old...

To make a small alteration to your words, purely in terms of the subjects, not the logic:

but to chastise Hitler in any capacity for making things worse shows how easy it is to forget the days of the Wiemar Republic.
Well that depends on whether you view the severity to affect the validity - which I'd suggest it does. My initial point on the severity stands - and in any event we are only having this discussion because you took offence that I was inferring you had a victim complex because of the way my post was worded - which is fair enough as it wasn't at all clear.

What I am saying (rather than what you're saying I'm saying) is that 30 mins less of midweek rugby coverage is not worth the relative complaint when you consider how much BT invest in the game - in my opinion. Clearly yours differs and that's fine.

Crikey, this is borderline intellectually stimulating - unusual on here these days.

Anyway to steer us back on topic - this year we seem to be experiencing a very small amount of player churn - Williams and Burns out are two big losses but typically we've been in the region of 8 or so players out/in where as currently we look like we're going to be more around the 4 mark this season - signs of a settled squad do we think?

Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by Hinckley Bob » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:30 am

I am a little concerned about the lack of re-signing announcements from the club, albeit I do not know who is out of contract this year. Can anyone shed any light?

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7270
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by jgriffin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:38 am

The problem is that the lack of 'churn' fails to recognise the importance of the small number of changes. To remove OW and FB and gain GF in return actually causes big problems EVEN if you think To'omua is OK as a 10. We then need at least two more reasonably class 10 and 12s, and if To'omua is occupying one of the class 12 slots, two more 10s and a 12 PLUS a possible 13 (unless Betham is he) PLUS another 15. That all assumes Manu will return, if not another world class 13 needed!!!

Godwin's Law is no law at all in these febrile times IMO. In the 90s it was probably a fair way down the threads, as they were in those days. Today it is an immediate comparison.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], kpj tiger and 2 guests