Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by ellis9 »

Noddy555 wrote:I hope the rumour about Mike Ford is just that, I think it would be a retrograde step for him personally and a big mistake by the Tigers, I favour a Southern Hemisphere coach who understands how the modern game is played.
So Mark McCall, Dai Young, Rob Baxter, Gregor Townsend and Leo Cullen to name a few don't understand "how the modern game is played"?
BigChris

Post by BigChris »

Tomorrow's Times will report that George will sign for us, with Freddie going in the opposite direction. Also that the trade is not linked to Mike Ford coming to Welford Road.

Link to Times front page: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3xQoh4WEAA ... name=large
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Looking forward to seeing the news that Ford is coming to us. It's a shame that Burns seems to be leaving because of it but I seem to remember people saying when Ford left that if he isn't willing to stay and fight for his place then he can go.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Just tweeted Freddie Burns: "If the Times report is true...gutted. You're a great advert for Tigers and rugby and you'll be missed at Welford Road."

He's 'liked' the message which I'm taking as confirmation.

I guess if the figures in the article are correct and Ford has chosen Tigers at £450k over Sale at £650k...he must want to be here!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes Ellis9 the five that you have highlighted do and are good coaches but none of them are available so it's my contention that the only good coaches available at the momemt are frpm the Southern Hemisphere.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

BigChris wrote:Tomorrow's Times will report that George will sign for us, with Freddie going in the opposite direction. Also that the trade is not linked to Mike Ford coming to Welford Road.

Link to Times front page: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3xQoh4WEAA ... name=large
also in the telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... year-deal/
Hehehehehehehehe
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Getting in from a very long shift at work to read those reports. Very mixed emotions at the news I must say.

On the one hand I'm delighted that Ford is seemingly returning. I think he is rightly England's first choice 10. He runs the game very well, his distribution and decision making is top notch these days, his tactical kicking game is very good. Plus of course he's an academy graduate that went elsewhere, so it will be nice to see him back.

On the other hand Freddie is an intrinsically likable Tiger. He arrived just after a significant slump of form which saw him drop out of England contention. Whilst here he has developed into an excellent 10. He is now not only capable of the individual brilliance he has produced since his early days at Gloucs but also controls the game much better and links with his back line very well. Plus he took it on himself to target his goal kicking as an area to improve and has done so excellently. He's a player who has thrown his heart into everything the club is about and is rightly loved by the fans for it.

If the rumours are true we are losing an excellent fly half and true Tiger. If I were pushed to make a call I'd say we are gaining an even better 10 and potentially great Tiger though.

If Freddie is going it puts us back in the market for another 10. Specifically one who can kick his goals.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote:Mike Ford apparently coming,what an absolute disaster that would be! Please,please,please let it not be true!
A general question - what is it that people dislike about the prospect of having Mike Ford at the helm?

My own initial reaction was 'no thank you'; but then I wondered why I'd made that snap judgement and wondered what other people's reasons were and if they aligned to my own.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Scott1 wrote:Mike Ford apparently coming,what an absolute disaster that would be! Please,please,please let it not be true!
A general question - what is it that people dislike about the prospect of having Mike Ford at the helm?

My own initial reaction was 'no thank you'; but then I wondered why I'd made that snap judgement and wondered what other people's reasons were and if they aligned to my own.
He reminds me of Littlefinger in Game of Thrones
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Noddy555 wrote:Yes Ellis9 the five that you have highlighted do and are good coaches but none of them are available so it's my contention that the only good coaches available at the momemt are frpm the Southern Hemisphere.
I don't know where my earlier post disappeared to but are you suggesting we will only be able to get unemployed DOR's to join us?

That really narrows down our options and in my view, makes the decision to get rid of Cockerill far worse.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

As I've said before I see little nett gain here that justifies the cost. As the Fords want to stick together then his father here for next season looks likely.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I don't get this! Why are people querying why we are signing a top class player?! On one hand people are saying the players we have aren't good enough and when it looks like we are signing a top class one, you moan! There are no other fly halves in world rugby better than Ford who we could have signed.

Some of you just have to moan for the fun of it!
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

Having a back line of:

9. B. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Betham
12. Toomua
13. Tuilagi
14. Pietersen
15. Veainu

Is enough to excite anybody. Really need to ensure our forwards can supply top notch ball now.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

My concern with Ford swapping with Burns is, we're still left in the market for another 10 with Williams also off. Having Burns and Ford would've made sense, still game time for Burns during internationals to stake his own claim for the shirt. So Burns also departing means we will have lost both 10's, needs two new ones. Ford returning dies at least have the advantage of being familiar with the club and a number of players. Still need to replace Williams.
Regarding Mike Ford, he did have Bath playing some decent attacking rugby, but I'm more concerned about our lack of forward power lately, I'm not sure he'll change that.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:

Whilst he was defence coach for England his record was Played 68 won 34, lost 33 which is not too impressive. At Bath with extensive financial muscle he failed to win anything and presided over a decline from top 2 to 9th place in the league. At Toulon, again with huge resources, they look to heading towards mid-table mediocrity and lost half their games in the European Cup. Not a compelling case for me.