Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by Scott1 »

Mike Ford apparently coming,what an absolute disaster that would be! Please,please,please let it not be true!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

^^ Thanks for that insightful news :smt039

There is a rumour that Cohen was in Toulon recently but not really substantiated.

You would presume that this review being conducted into the entire Tigers structure is still ongoing? However Ford Snr could be one candidate amongst many.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Haha! It was a statement from the department of the bleeding obvious lol but my point still stands,we would soon be begging for Cockers to come back,it would be terrible! Burns would soon be gone too!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Scott1 wrote:Haha! It was a statement from the department of the bleeding obvious lol but my point still stands,we would soon be begging for Cockers to come back,it would be terrible! Burns would soon be gone too!
It's a professional game, people will come, people will go, and we as fans have to live with that. Cockers won't be coming back.

I will continue to support Tigers regardless.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Coops,you misunderstand me lol. I couldn't wait to be rid of Cockers,so that's what I think about MF! I'm seriously worried,it would be a terrible appointment!
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

The best thing about George Ford joining would be the statement it would send out about Tigers. We aren't in a good place at the moment and young talent might not be quite as excited to join us at the moment (or re-sign for us). If players like GF come in, front line England internationals, it sends out the right message imo.
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

Excellent point Will.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Another talented fly half wouldn't go amiss it but we need a back row (or two) and probably more grunt in the second row to give the 9/10 axis something to work with.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

mol2 wrote:Another talented fly half wouldn't go amiss it but we need a back row (or two) and probably more grunt in the second row to give the 9/10 axis something to work with.
I'd keep the second rows we have and concentrate on back row. If we can keep those guys fit and rotating then they are 4 very good locks (5 if Wells keeps progressing) who offer different skill sets.

The lack of carriers in the back row has worn them down a lot I think. This has been especially clear with Fitzgerald when Williams and Barrow were unavailable. He was being asked to take on the tough carries that those two are excellent at and it isn't his game. He's much better as a support runner, as seen last season.

Bring in a couple of 8s who can carry hard and we will see how good our locks actually are IMO.

Kalamafoni would be a good addition but I'd still like another 8 as well.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Front Row - we just haven't seen enough of Ayerza, Rizzo, Mulipola and Cilliers this year. Genge has been immense. Cole has been steady, big doesn't look quite his old dominant self, looks tired. Bateman has been very active in the loose for a prop, but looks no more than steady in the scrum, and I expect more as a Tigers fan bought up on the ABC club, Julian White, Castro etc. Thacker offers dynamism in the loose, but I do wonder if the suggestions his presence puts too much load on the props is true, we did look better balanced when he went to 7 and Mcguigan came on. Need to bring in a couple of props who provide real scrum power, and move Bateman back to hooker, set the platform from the front.
Second Row - I'm actually not too concerned here. Slater, Barrow, Kitchener and Fitzgerald is strong a four as any other club, just got to get them all fit at the same time. Impressed with Wells last week too.
Back Row - definitely need at least one, if not two, heavy carriers. William provides the physicality, Hamilton and Mccafferey have both impressed me with their all round game and tenacity. O'Connor has been a bit subdued, but Evans is a player on the up. Adding one or both of Kalamafoni and Conan would be a perfect balance.

Half Backs - Happy with scrum half options, especially if we can get some more front foot ball. Ten need addressing now Williams is leaving, and needs to be a player of sufficient cailbre to keep Burns at the top of his game.

Centres - we definitely need a quality addition here. Toomua and Tuilagi should be devastating, but we need more depth. Roberts has stepped up nicely. Betham is another option, but we lack the quality of depth at wing currently. Mermoz would provide greater depth and balance, but is it feasible.

Back 3 - Pietersen has not played enough for me to see him as a success. Betham and Thompstone are always impressive. We need further options. Brady is steady, but is not a game breaker. At full back, Veianu has been a big miss, and I'm not sure Tait is top tier anymore. Worth should be given more opportunities to show he can step up next season.

Must sign
2 props to replace Rizzo, Balmain and Brugnara.
Two 8's, to replace Croft and Fonua.
New 10 to replace Williams.
Centre, and wing/fullback.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I wonder if Fitz and/or Williams are 8 material? With what we've currently got, I'd quite like to see:

4. Slater
5. Barrow
6. Fitzgerald
7. O'Connor
8. Williams
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Roberts is off according to Cardiff fans
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Strawclearer Slater played at 8 a couple of times last season and it helped tremendously,I'd like that to be tried again.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I hope the rumour about Mike Ford is just that, I think it would be a retrograde step for him personally and a big mistake by the Tigers, I favour a Southern Hemisphere coach who understands how the modern game is played.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Noddy MF would be an absolute disaster! Deans for me!