Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by Coops »

RagingBull wrote:Sione Kalamafoni Done deal to Tigers according to Glouscester fans.
Signed an extension in Nov 2013, so perhaps that extended to end of 2016/17 season.

Suffered a shoulder injury whilst playing for Tonga in June. Apparently now fit and available.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Lammy wrote:
RagingBull wrote:Sione Kalamafoni Done deal to Tigers according to Glouscester fans.
Has he even played this season? A quick glance at his stats on the Gloucs website tells me not!
As said above he had a unreported injury when he was with Tonga and only just come back to training.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

As a stop gap for this season or for next? If the latter I will be somewhat underwhelmed...

Our main issue now is that with AM in charge until end of the season recruitment is going to be very hard as there is no defined DOR for next season....
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

George Ford speculation takes another twist with talk that he will now move to Leicester after change in coaching set up.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Coops wrote:George Ford speculation takes another twist with talk that he will now move to Leicester after change in coaching set up.
Lunacy.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Is that when his dad takes the DOR job then?
I'm not cynical just experienced
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Coops wrote:George Ford speculation takes another twist with talk that he will now move to Leicester after change in coaching set up.
But that doesn't change the fact the his contract apparently has a "shall not return to Leicester" clause, as reported in the press. If that is true he'd have to go somewhere else first.
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
But that doesn't change the fact the his contract apparently has a "shall not return to Leicester" clause, as reported in the press. If that is true he'd have to go somewhere else first.
Unless lawyers have been busy and the clause is likely to be unenforceable due to restraint of trade.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

snoopster wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:
Unless lawyers have been busy and the clause is likely to be unenforceable due to restraint of trade.
If Ford's contract is ending this season (which I don't think is the case) it is almost certainly unforeceable to have any "restricted work" clause that lasts post contract. I.e. He is a free agent and goes where he wants.

However, if he is in contract, the he needs to negotiate an exit and that can come with all sorts of strings attached. Maybe Bath have stated he I not allowed to go and play for a top four club ... so fine coming to Tigers at the moment!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Maybe a rugby league team will buy him and then give him to us?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I think Ford will go to Sale...I'm just not sure which Ford though! :smt030
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

Bristol Tiger wrote:
If Ford's contract is ending this season (which I don't think is the case) it is almost certainly unforeceable to have any "restricted work" clause that lasts post contract. I.e. He is a free agent and goes where he wants.

However, if he is in contract, the he needs to negotiate an exit and that can come with all sorts of strings attached. Maybe Bath have stated he I not allowed to go and play for a top four club ... so fine coming to Tigers at the moment!![/quote]

Or Tigers strike a deal with another club they have a good relationship with - Bristol, say, sign Ford then Tigers pay a small fee to loan him for the season.
Potentially I am not sure that Bath can stop him buying himself out of the final year of his contract though, if Tigers were willing to add that cost onto his salary.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

chewbacca wrote:Is that when his dad takes the DOR job then?
Maybe Ford Snr will bring that new Toulon forwards coach with him?
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Bristol Tiger wrote:
snoopster wrote: Unless lawyers have been busy and the clause is likely to be unenforceable due to restraint of trade.

However, if he is in contract, the he needs to negotiate an exit and that can come with all sorts of strings attached. Maybe Bath have stated he I not allowed to go and play for a top four club ... so fine coming to Tigers at the moment!!
The quote from a few weeks ago in the DT:

The stumbling block will be his contract that runs until the 2017-18 season. Although Ford has a break clause, Bath would still be entitled to compensation and Bath owner Bruce Craig is understood to have blocked a proposed move back to Leicester, his former club.

Essentially, being mid contract, he has to be "bought out". Craig could simply (perhaps) just reject any approach from Leicester.