Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by Snorbins »

jgriffin wrote:
ancientmariner wrote:Frankly I reckon we'd be a good deal better off if we dispensed with the annual player merry-go-round, stuck with the squad we already have and try to get some consistency and continuity in our play. Otherwise we seem to be forever "bedding in new systems" and "trying to play a different way".
:smt023 :smt023

With posts like this 2017 might see common sense prevail! But I fear we will still have the love affaires with ex Tigers and the wailing and gnashing of teeth of "why, O why did we allow him to leave?"
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

ancientmariner wrote:Frankly I reckon we'd be a good deal better off if we dispensed with the annual player merry-go-round, stuck with the squad we already have and try to get some consistency and continuity in our play. Otherwise we seem to be forever "bedding in new systems" and "trying to play a different way".
Agreed. Consistency with the planned introduction of some academy players would seem a sensible approach.
I'm not cynical just experienced
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Agree completely that keeping the bulk of the squad is the best bet.

Many want changes to areas of comparative strength such as lock but I'd rather keep Slater, Kitch, Dom and Fitz but actually rotate them at second row to keep them fit. A physical 8 would help with this as Fitz wouldn't be needed at 6 whenever Mike Williams isn't available.

Balmain, Rizzo, Brugnara cap ---> Quality prop. Preferably a young talent to come through with Genge but a more experienced squad singing (Ducalon?) is always easier to keep happy with less game time.

Fonau, Craner, Pearce (+ possibly Crofty) cap ---> vital number 8

Tait + Brady cap ----> Solid, experienced full back who can link with our wingers well and rotate with Worth to bring the young'un through.

Those are top of my wish list. If they can be added to the bulk of the current squad then things should gel together better.

I'd be more than happy with Will Evans and Wee 'arry covering 7 next season. That would allow BOC to cover 8 and leave room to bring another hooker in.

One player I think has been fantastic this season and would add to the squad well is Will Hurrell. He's been great for Bristol in a poor side, makes hard yards and is excellent in defence. If the club are looking for an affordable centre signing to take some pressure of Toomua/Manu then he would be a decent bet. Hurrell would fit especially well if Matt Smith continues to struggle with injury.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Heard yesterday from a friend who said it would be announced very soon that Thacker is off to Wocester. He also told me that his source had also told him that yesterday was RC's last match in charge. Who his "source "is I don't know but he has proved to be right on RC
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

trendylfj wrote:Heard yesterday from a friend who said it would be announced very soon that Thacker is off to Wocester. He also told me that his source had also told him that yesterday was RC's last match in charge. Who his "source "is I don't know but he has proved to be right on RC
Told the same. (Well not the cockers bit, but another loss at home wasn't going to help).

Although not sure what will happen with Cockers off off, depends who dropped thacker Cockerill or Mauger i guess.

BUT reckon he is off.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

No real insider knowledge but a friends of mines neice is a close old school mate of Harry's and he's told her he's going know where.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Any Tigers player would be foolish to go now. Wait and see how the wind blows.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

watsonjm wrote:No real insider knowledge but a friends of mines neice is a close old school mate of Harry's and he's told her he's going know where.
Well - I was dressed as Santa for the Munster game and wished both him and Cocker 'Happy Christmas' after the game and they both smiled and said "Thanks Santa!" so........
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Players may think "ill wait and see", or they might say "I've no idea whether I will fit with the new DoRs style, I'll go now if I get a good offer".

There is a lot of work needed now by SC and AM to secure current players, as well as persuading potential new signings that all will be well. That is the problem of having no replacement structure or coaching team at the time when players are free to talk!
Valhalla I am coming!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

fleabane wrote:Players may think "ill wait and see", or they might say "I've no idea whether I will fit with the new DoRs style, I'll go now if I get a good offer".

There is a lot of work needed now by SC and AM to secure current players, as well as persuading potential new signings that all will be well. That is the problem of having no replacement structure or coaching team at the time when players are free to talk!
If SC hasn't taken all of that into account - or if he has and we still lose players we want to keep - he'll have to be the next one out! :smt013
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tom Tom »

Cohen wont be bothered about any of this. He now has RC's salary to spend on non rugby projects!
That's obviously where he sees the future.
And he can't even organise efficient bar and catering service for the true fans and ST holders.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="Tom Tom"]Cohen wont be bothered about any of this. He now has RC's salary to spend on non rugby projects!
.....[/quote]

Really? You might want to think that through...

Compensation? Expensive business, sacking DORs when in long-term contracts.
Also, when the coaching review is done, don't you think there'll be appointments to be made?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

added Cockerill - Out and Kitchener and Owen to Glous.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

RagingBull wrote:added Cockerill - Out and Kitchener and Owen to Glous.
Last two, why? :smt017
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
RagingBull wrote:added Cockerill - Out and Kitchener and Owen to Glous.
Last two, why? :smt017
Because they are rumours.