Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by Snorbins »

At the moment I called Brexit and the Donald correctly, so, Ford to Wuss and we keep Owen! I would rather Cockers go than OW!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I think it's a certainty that Cockers will be fired if we miss out on the play offs this year I don't think that just qualifying for Europe with a top six place will save his bacon. What do others think?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
jgriffin wrote:
RagingBull wrote:By Owen Williams I mean Owen Williams....
That's why I asked. I guessed he would not return to Wales as the only realistic berth was Ospreys, but ....Wuss....possibly in the Championship? :smt004
Ospreys? A realistic berth? :smt043

With Dan Biggar, plus Sam Davies (who has been pushing Biggar for the starting 10 shirt, relegating Biggar to the subs earlier in the season),there's no way that they or Owen would be interested.
Keep up at the back, he turned down Scarlets,and I pointed out that NGD and Blues wouldn't figure (unless he is extensively bribed by the WRU), so the only possible was Ospreys. Your point has already been made, and mine previously was that someone would have to be leaving there!
I am really racked off by the possibility of losing OW and if Ford comes back with a guarantee of top spot, Fred might not like it.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

jgriffin wrote:Keep up at the back, he turned down Scarlets,and I pointed out that NGD and Blues wouldn't figure (unless he is extensively bribed by the WRU), so the only possible was Ospreys. Your point has already been made, and mine previously was that someone would have to be leaving there!
I am really racked off by the possibility of losing OW and if Ford comes back with a guarantee of top spot, Fred might not like it.
I have been keeping up :smt023 I was just filling out details for those who do not follow Welsh rugby.

There is no realistic berth at any of the regions in Wales. Either no place (e.g. Ospreys) or OW not interested (the rest), although he turned Scarlets down 2 years ago, he may be amenable now IF George is coming.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
jgriffin wrote:Keep up at the back, he turned down Scarlets,and I pointed out that NGD and Blues wouldn't figure (unless he is extensively bribed by the WRU), so the only possible was Ospreys. Your point has already been made, and mine previously was that someone would have to be leaving there!
I have been keeping up :smt023 I was just filling out details for those who do not follow Welsh rugby.

There is no realistic berth at any of the regions in Wales. Either no place (e.g. Ospreys) or OW not interested (the rest), although he turned Scarlets down 2 years ago, he may be amenable now IF George is coming.
I genuinely hope that the ££££ on offer from elsewhere attract Ford elsewhere. This may seem perverse, but we have far more pressing needs in other positions, principally No 8.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I suppose for OW it really comes down to whether he thinks he has a chance of playing for Wales. A couple of seasons ago he started knocking on the door of Wales selection (he was due to be involved in the Probables v Possibles match in 2014 but got banned after the Saints derby) , but the emergence of the Kiwi Anscombe and a couple of others, combined with his knee injury have put him back down the order somewhat.

He may have to go to a region and see off competition for the starting slot.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Hot_Charlie wrote:I suppose for OW it really comes down to whether he thinks he has a chance of playing for Wales. A couple of seasons ago he started knocking on the door of Wales selection (he was due to be involved in the Probables v Possibles match in 2014 but got banned after the Saints derby) , but the emergence of the Kiwi Anscombe and a couple of others, combined with his knee injury have put him back down the order somewhat.

He may have to go to a region and see off competition for the starting slot.
The level of competition and opportunities in Pro12 will kibosh that.
Scarlets - already turned down
NGD - the graveyard development squad
Blues - on a pitch he hates and got injured on, for a struggling side
Ospreys - two incumbent 10s in Wales' wide squad
And there is no such thing as Gatland's Law, never has been, just an attempt by the WRU to control players' careers to their advantage.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Unless I've missed something we are all assuming Owen wants to stay? I'm my mind we could be chasing Ford because Owen has decided to leave to a club he will 100% start every game to try and impress Gatland.

Would love to have Ford back if Owen has/does deicide to leave but think a no8 is the priority.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

watsonjm wrote:Unless I've missed something we are all assuming Owen wants to stay? I'm my mind we could be chasing Ford because Owen has decided to leave to a club he will 100% start every game to try and impress Gatland.

Would love to have Ford back if Owen has/does deicide to leave but think a no8 is the priority.
There is no such Welsh club except possibly Scarlets. NGD is a non-starter and the other two have strong 10s, plus the much-diminished Blues is the pitch that put him out for half a season. IMO Blues is the only possible berth BUT he would not be assured of anything as there are currently 3 or possibly 4 10s in front of him.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

McCaffrey on the rugby dungeon podcast towards the end saying he would like to return to Aus to play rugby before the end of his career.

Out of contract this season I think hopefully @26 he will sign a 2 year deal and maybe look to move back @28.

All just speculation, would be a shame if he was to go.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Jgriffin wrote:There is no such Welsh club except possibly Scarlets. NGD is a non-starter and the other two have strong 10s, plus the much-diminished Blues is the pitch that put him out for half a season. IMO Blues is the only possible berth BUT he would not be assured of anything as there are currently 3 or possibly 4 10s in front of him
Who said anything about a Welsh club? Just somewhere top flight where he is playing 99% of games would put him on show to Gatland a lot more than he is currently at tigers.
Last edited by watsonjm on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

"All things being equal we'd like him to stay"

Richard Cockerill on reports linking Fraser Balmain with a move to Gloucester.

Didn't hear the context in which this was said but - not the most ringing of endorsements and when were things ever equal in sport?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

With Carl Fearns joining Gloucs and rumours that Ben Morgan is about to re-sign for the C&W's, who's next in line to be our "big, strong, ball-carrying 8" for next season?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

strawclearer wrote:With Carl Fearns joining Gloucs and rumours that Ben Morgan is about to re-sign for the C&W's, who's next in line to be our "big, strong, ball-carrying 8" for next season?
Furthermore with the Bath Chronicle stating Bath won't sell him to us http://m.bathchronicle.co.uk/daniel-eva ... story.html do we have any rumoured incoming signings? Or are we focusing on retention?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

strawclearer wrote:With Carl Fearns joining Gloucs and rumours that Ben Morgan is about to re-sign for the C&W's, who's next in line to be our "big, strong, ball-carrying 8" for next season?
The No8 bowl has been licked spotlessly clean! I suspect that given the state of our cash balance he is neither going to be a name or expensive.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity