Allianz Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dunks43

Allianz Park

Post by dunks43 »

Got to say Sarries have done a :censored: job of planning for the future.

The've announced plans to demolish the west stand and replace with a new stand taking capacity from 10,000 to 10,500.

The reason, so little an increase, Allianz Park has strict planning controls stipulating the following..

They can play 15 Games in a season with a maximum capacity of 10,500 & 1 game with a capacity of 15,000

Got to ask the question, why did they build the place
Tigerbeat

Re: Allianz Park

Post by Tigerbeat »

I saw that and questionned why. To increase by just 500 does not make any sense if you are aiming to be the best side in Europe.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Two questions really; why bother with such a small increase, and why such a small increase???
McCall sounded off last year about people not coming to view his perfect (humble) team. There is clearly something fundamentally flawed with Saracens; for all the hype, free tickets and even trophies they cannot get people to love them.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

weird - is there some planning point or some wedge it drives through an issue?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Red Boots

Post by Red Boots »

I can suggest 2 reasons:
1. The view from the temporary seats at the front is terrible
2. The seats at the back are tiny. No normal human being can get their knees into the space allowed.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Red Boots wrote:I can suggest 2 reasons:
2. The seats at the back are tiny. No normal human being can get their knees into the space allowed.
Sounds reasonable
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

And having worked in the borough for years, I can confirm Barnet Council is miserly when it comes to relaxing planning controls.........
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Don't they still share the place with Barnet and Copthall athletics club? I know the Athletics club is spitting blood about the damage every year.

Years ago - and I mean YEARS, mid 1990s - they were looking to,build a proper stadium somewhere in south Hertfordshire. Can't remember where exactly.. That fell through and they went to Watford.

So they remain peripatetic, and maybe this is an attempt to build a 'home', even with the small increase. Lot of money for not much imo.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Anyone who has seen the West Stand will agree it is a creaking shambles and an awful place to watch sport. That needs upgrading.

I'm probably in a minority of quite liking what Saracens are trying to achieve in their stadium. Under the East Stand there's a lovely clubhouse feel before and after the game. People stay there before and after the game and kids play on the pitch for hours.

The seated areas seem like a work in progress. It won't be temporary stands forever I'm sure. I'd imagine they will try and turn up the pressure on the council, but I agree with the thought that limiting themselves to 10,500 is daft.
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

Red Boots wrote:I can suggest 2 reasons:
So true, I sat there with my knees around the guy in fronts head, lucky I knew him, dreadful place, the burgers are good though!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

CJ wrote:Don't they still share the place with Barnet and Copthall athletics club? I know the Athletics club is spitting blood about the damage every year.

Years ago - and I mean YEARS, mid 1990s - they were looking to,build a proper stadium somewhere in south Hertfordshire. Can't remember where exactly.. That fell through and they went to Watford.

So they remain peripatetic, and maybe this is an attempt to build a 'home', even with the small increase. Lot of money for not much imo.
They should have moved to somewhere around their training base; the old airfield site at Hatfield would have been prime territory, next the A1 and a very short drive off the M1 and M25 and right adjacent to a big university campus.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A small increase in capacity is probably all they need - it's not as if they have the fan base to fill a 50000 seater stadium.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Iain wrote:Anyone who has seen the West Stand will agree it is a creaking shambles and an awful place to watch sport. That needs upgrading.

I'm probably in a minority of quite liking what Saracens are trying to achieve in their stadium. Under the East Stand there's a lovely clubhouse feel before and after the game. People stay there before and after the game and kids play on the pitch for hours.

The seated areas seem like a work in progress. It won't be temporary stands forever I'm sure. I'd imagine they will try and turn up the pressure on the council, but I agree with the thought that limiting themselves to 10,500 is daft.
I agree with this Iain. The area under the east stand is excellent as are some of the external bars and food outlets.
Interestingly I was talking to a Sarries fan on the train before the match last Saturday, questioning why they went for a completely artificial pitch rather than a hybrid. He said that in order to get permission to use/share this ground, they had to agree to make it available to the community 7 days a week (except match days)and apparently the pitch is used virtually every day. Only a fully artificial pitch could take that amount of wear, hence why they must have it.
Soggypitch
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

They used to use the University of Herts gym in Hatfield when they were in Watford then went the OA's at Wollam Field.
We certainly wouldn't want them building in St Albans or Hatfield as I think OA's would suffer.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

I remember going down to watch them play Tigers at Enfield FC. It was very early season, and the Tigers fans outnumbered the home fans. It was the same when we went to Wasps at Sudbury where the Rugby Special Team even outnumbered them. Only Harlequins have managed to build a substantial fan base, so I really don't think Sarries will do it in the medium term, perhaps long term is possible. I understand that are really trying to buil local roots with schools etc and good luck to them.
I dont think that you can move away from traditional bases without loss of support, and it takes a long while to rebuild it!