Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Banburytigers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Whats the purpose of our Academy

Post by Banburytigers »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37752353

When I see the young players we have let go over the last 3 to 4 years playing well for other Premiership cubs, I often wonder what is our Academies purpose as over that period only Evans and Thacker have made it to the fringes of the matchday squad.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Whats the purpose of our Academy

Post by ellis9 »

What young players are you on about? I can't think of many, if any that have stood out for other Premiership teams.

In that regard, you could ask how are we not producing many talented players from the academy.
Banburytigers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Banburytigers »

George Ford, Alex Lewington, Charlie Walker spring to mind but as you say the more worrying point we are not producing more talent, also not letting them obtain more 1st team experience surely they should be using at least one young player from the academy against the lessor teams at home the likes of Bristol, Newcastle, Worcester & Gloucester and it should be a given that they play the domestic cup games.

If you take Paolo Odogwu I think I recall there was a lot of raving on this site that this kid was one hell of a prospect, so what happens to him he plays a couple of pre-season friendly's and appeared from the bench a few times. Next thing we see of him he's played 7 times for Sale and scored a try against one of the best teams in Europe all in the space of 3 month!!!
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

It almost seems Club Policy to reduce the Academy in status and importance . Many of the Premiership Clubs use their Academies to produce good youngsters and to seemlessly introduce them into their 1st team squads - e.g. Saracens and Quins .We are hardly represented at all now at England U20 level and see almost no progression of our youngsters into our 1st team squad .Only Thacker in recent years has come from U17 level at Tigers .
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

It's a damn good question in my view.

IIRC there was a big shake up 18 months or so ago with a new chief, etc. And I remember them talking about making it easier to transition from the Academy to the first team. Maybe it's too soon but there certainly doesn't seem to be much flowing through right now.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

The Development Squad is the natural stepping stone but there was a wholesale clear-out at the back end of last season - some bemused youngsters told one thing one month and the opposite a short while later as I heard it - suggests there are differences of view on either policy or who will make it.

On the other hand Jack Roberts, George Catchpole, Will Evans, Harry Thacker and Harry Wells all qualify as recent graduates and there are more senior players like Ben & Tom, Matt Smith, Tom Croft, Dan Cole, and Manu. I make that eleven of the current full squad of 38, so around 30%.

We've seen a few of the development squad on occasion too. The Anglo-Welsh is upon us in a fortnight so we'll get a chance to see a few more of those I guess.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Banburytigers wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37752353

When I see the young players we have let go over the last 3 to 4 years playing well for other Premiership cubs, I often wonder what is our Academies purpose as over that period only Evans and Thacker have made it to the fringes of the matchday squad.
The same Will Evans that is in the England EpS?
Banburytigers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Banburytigers »

RagingBull wrote:
Banburytigers wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37752353

The same Will Evans that is in the England EpS?
Yes and hardly plays for Tigers!!
Banburytigers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Banburytigers »

[[quote]On the other hand Jack Roberts, George Catchpole, Will Evans, Harry Thacker and Harry Wells all qualify as recent graduates and there are more senior players like Ben & Tom, Matt Smith, Tom Croft, Dan Cole, and Manu. I make that eleven of the current full squad of 38, so around 30%.

How many of the recent players made it in to the squad to face Racing Metro? Answer One!!!

Of the more senior players Manu is newest and he's been a regular in the team since 2010/11 Season that is when he isnt injured.

So my initial point stands academy has been exceptionally poor over recent years if you compare to Sarries and Quins.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Grimlish wrote:The Development Squad is the natural stepping stone but there was a wholesale clear-out at the back end of last season - some bemused youngsters told one thing one month and the opposite a short while later as I heard it - suggests there are differences of view on either policy or who will make it.

On the other hand Jack Roberts, George Catchpole, Will Evans, Harry Thacker and Harry Wells all qualify as recent graduates and there are more senior players like Ben & Tom, Matt Smith, Tom Croft, Dan Cole, and Manu. I make that eleven of the current full squad of 38, so around 30%.

We've seen a few of the development squad on occasion too. The Anglo-Welsh is upon us in a fortnight so we'll get a chance to see a few more of those I guess.
This is the gist of it highlighted.
Where people don't work together things often struggle.
It's also very much a who you know culture.
I don't believe the good old days of the older academy players are what folk are questioning but more recently.
It's an important subject but at the same time become a very tiresome one.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Banburytigers wrote: If you take Paolo Odogwu I think I recall there was a lot of raving on this site that this kid was one hell of a prospect, so what happens to him he plays a couple of pre-season friendly's and appeared from the bench a few times. Next thing we see of him he's played 7 times for Sale and scored a try against one of the best teams in Europe all in the space of 3 month!!!
That doesn't suddenly make him better than the wing options we already have available - and when you look at a player like Adam Thompstone you realise it's not all about scoring tries.

(and his try against Toulon was a run in...)
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I find myself asking that question too. I could field a full squad of 23 with young players that we have developed and who have shown promise only to be denied a proper opportunity to display their skills at Premiership level. Harry Thacker alone has shown that the system can be successful if properly managed, No wonder many youngsters leave to become successful elsewhere when they are denied the opportunity. That's why I always look forward to the Anglo/Welsh Trophy matches as that competition actively encourages the use of young talent.
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
Banburytigers wrote: If you take Paolo Odogwu I think I recall there was a lot of raving on this site that this kid was one hell of a prospect, so what happens to him he plays a couple of pre-season friendly's and appeared from the bench a few times. Next thing we see of him he's played 7 times for Sale and scored a try against one of the best teams in Europe all in the space of 3 month!!!
That doesn't suddenly make him better than the wing options we already have available - and when you look at a player like Adam Thompstone you realise it's not all about scoring tries.

(and his try against Toulon was a run in...)
Indeed, but for (this arguments) sake, we in essence swapped with Sale a decent young prospect for a journey man in Brady. I know which I'd rather be watching and be more excited about the prospects of.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Noddy555 wrote:I find myself asking that question too. I could field a full squad of 23 with young players that we have developed and who have shown promise only to be denied a proper opportunity to display their skills at Premiership level. Harry Thacker alone has shown that the system can be successful if properly managed, No wonder many youngsters leave to become successful elsewhere when they are denied the opportunity. That's why I always look forward to the Anglo/Welsh Trophy matches as that competition actively encourages the use of young talent.
This just goes to show how much opinions can differ.
Good player, obvious talent, but a top level hooker he is not.
He will never develop to be a world class hooker and no amount of manipulating the size stats will change the fact that is physically weaker than the level required at Leicester.
Schalk Brits he is not and never will be, take the rose tinted glasses off because he is not even close.
Obviously he knows a few people though, and whilst he was in at 7 last season Will Evans didn't get a look in, had that worked out I do wonder if Evans would've got a look in at all.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Calling for youngsters to be given a chance is all well and good but if they are not ready or able to win a place in the team that is life. You have to prove yourself and your chances will come.
There are only a small few who come through the academies that go on to get a long term rugby career.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk