Whats the purpose of our Academy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Whats the purpose of our Academy

Post by Noddy555 »

Sorry BFG beg to differ as he grows and fills out he will become a top class hooker and a regular in the England Squad, Where were you last season when filling in for Tom Youngs due to injury he put in some stellar performances for such a young player. I know for a fact that there have been enquiries from other Aviva premiership clubs querying his availability, but so far we have managed to hold onto him. As the saying goes the proof of the pudding is in the eating and long may we be able to feast on him,
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

grobyman wrote:Agreed, since the game has become professional and players are earning their living from the game, there will without doubt be increased movement between clubs as they have to be self promoting to earn. There will be many reasons why movement takes place, cash, opportunity, personality issues etc.
It is also important to recognise that academies exist and thrive, not only to provide seedcorn players for the future but also to provide academy credits to assist with the salary cap. That is a whole new discussion!
A discussion connected to the topic titled A Real Problem.
A coincidence that the two are connected, I think not!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Noddy555 wrote:Sorry BFG beg to differ as he grows and fills out he will become a top class hooker and a regular in the England Squad, Where were you last season when filling in for Tom Youngs due to injury he put in some stellar performances for such a young player. I know for a fact that there have been enquiries from other Aviva premiership clubs querying his availability, but so far we have managed to hold onto him. As the saying goes the proof of the pudding is in the eating and long may we be able to feast on him,
Best stock up with rennie.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

I have met the academy coach of another club. He made some points that stick in my mind. Clubs and academy coaches have to be philosophical and celebrate success wherever the players end up playing. Because even if you have a great prospect it doesn't mean the right opportunity will appear at the right point. Players make their own judgements about the opportunities, if they are ambitious they will look for the place they are most likely to progress quickly. So if you are a promising fly half sitting behind, say Dan Carter, you might well decide your future is somewhere else. No matter how much the club matters or has invested. It also doesn't run in a linear way, some years he has a glut of potentially great players, others hardly any at all.

This might not be universal, but they are interesting comments! Academy coaching is a pretty tough job, IMHO.

Harry Thacker may well be in this position - he may need to leave Tigers to move on. If he's travelling with the team on Saturday, he should probably have a quiet word with Alex Sanderson!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kend wrote:I have met the academy coach of another club. He made some points that stick in my mind. Clubs and academy coaches have to be philosophical and celebrate success wherever the players end up playing. Because even if you have a great prospect it doesn't mean the right opportunity will appear at the right point. Players make their own judgements about the opportunities, if they are ambitious they will look for the place they are most likely to progress quickly. So if you are a promising fly half sitting behind, say Dan Carter, you might well decide your future is somewhere else. No matter how much the club matters or has invested. It also doesn't run in a linear way, some years he has a glut of potentially great players, others hardly any at all.

This might not be universal, but they are interesting comments! Academy coaching is a pretty tough job, IMHO.

Harry Thacker may well be in this position - he may need to leave Tigers to move on. If he's travelling with the team on Saturday, he should probably have a quiet word with Alex Sanderson!
I look forward to seeing Sarries man shamed!
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

As one famous pundit once said "you win nothing with kids"!!!
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Will Greenwood is bigin up Will Hurrell in today's Telegraph, wasn't he one of ours? Hurrell that is!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

LE18 wrote:Will Greenwood is bigin up Will Hurrell in today's Telegraph, wasn't he one of ours? Hurrell that is!
Yeh he was, but he was someone who definitely needed time in the lower league to mature from what i gather.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

RagingBull wrote:
LE18 wrote:Will Greenwood is bigin up Will Hurrell in today's Telegraph, wasn't he one of ours? Hurrell that is!
Yeh he was, but he was someone who definitely needed time in the lower league to mature from what i gather.
And actually stopped playing for a while. Was a right show pony when with us, watched him a couple of times and couldn't see why he was on the park. Clearly time at Donny (?) worked for him, much better in the centre for Briz.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Anyway every club has these problems TBH.
In the last 2/3 seasons academy players who have become established 23 players we are prob on par with alot of other clubs with 1.

I mean some clubs like Exeter and Wasps have had zero players come up from the academy and establish themselves as a 23 player.

and every club loses talented youngsters even Sarries (With Auterac and Morris).