George Ford or Burns - threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford

Post by RagingBull »

ellis9 wrote:Ok so a few times then when starting out in their career or the odd few games.

Farrell isn't starting out in his career any more.

By the way, I'm not saying because he also plays 12 he is rubbish, I am saying if he was the better fly half then you would surely play him there. Why would you weaken the team by playing a lesser player in an important position.
Becuase the gap between Ford and Farrell is nothing like as big as the gap between Farrell and the next 12.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Farrell is actually becoming a very good 12, wouldn't surprise me at all if the 10-12 combination stays as it is no matter who becomes fit again.

Lots of 10s can play 12, just as lots of 13s can play 12, it all depends on the type of player that you are and who is partnering you in the backline.
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

ellis9 wrote:Ok so a few times then when starting out in their career or the odd few games.

Farrell isn't starting out in his career any more.

By the way, I'm not saying because he also plays 12 he is rubbish, I am saying if he was the better fly half then you would surely play him there. Why would you weaken the team by playing a lesser player in an important position.

Understandable, what i'm saying is if we dont have a better inside centre (name one) what else can England do? put JJ or Daley there?
...becuase you either jepordise inside centre completely or deal with it at 10 with Ford, who ive never said is bad but he is not world class.

I'm asking in an ideal situtation what would be the England back line?
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

See my earlier post for the ideal team. It doesn't include Farrell. Neither would he be on the bench. He also wouldn't be in the squad.
Southerntiger

Post by Southerntiger »

ellis9 wrote:See my earlier post for the ideal team. It doesn't include Farrell. Neither would he be on the bench. He also wouldn't be in the squad.
Your unfounded and ridiculously biased opinions are unlikely to change, however, if Farrell starts at 10 for the Lions in the Tests will you finally shut up about Farrell?
SirGordonRamsey

Southerntiger wrote:
ellis9 wrote:See my earlier post for the ideal team. It doesn't include Farrell. Neither would he be on the bench. He also wouldn't be in the squad.
Your unfounded and ridiculously biased opinions are unlikely to change, however, if Farrell starts at 10 for the Lions in the Tests will you finally shut up about Farrell?
Yeah its madness, Ive seen your team, who's kicking for posts? Steenson does it for Exeter, Slades not much of an option. Everyones entitled to their own opinion but the fact you would not include a nominated WORLD rugby player of year will without doubt have people questioning where you opinions are coming from....
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Southerntiger wrote:
I suspect it would only be due to the fact that the arch WUM, Gatland would do it to destabilise England...
Nothing to do with Fazlet being any good.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

As a former confessed Farrell non believer, I have personally come to the conclusion that the lad is indispensable, inasmuch his temperament is rock solid and he is improving daly---------excuse the pun-----------

If I was Jones, then at present use Ford who has undoubtable talent at 10, but no better than Cipriani, and the downside for both of them is they are unreliable under pressure at goal kicking--------------which Farrell is unsurpassable at

But I fear Manu's day has come and gone, but hope I'm wrong... But then Jones is going to have to totally restruct his backline, because Manus defence is ummm..... sh**e
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Why is my opinion biased?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fortysix wrote:As a former confessed Farrell non believer, I have personally come to the conclusion that the lad is indispensable, inasmuch his temperament is rock solid and he is improving daly---------excuse the pun-----------

If I was Jones, then at present use Ford who has undoubtable talent at 10, but no better than Cipriani, and the downside for both of them is they are unreliable under pressure at goal kicking--------------which Farrell is unsurpassable at

But I fear Manu's day has come and gone, but hope I'm wrong... But then Jones is going to have to totally restruct his backline, because Manus defence is ummm..... sh**e
Farrell has been very good for a while to be fair. He still has the same weaknesses in that his tactical kicking lacks accuracy (for example you rarely if ever see him drop a kick over the wingers head and roll it into the corner) He normally goes for length and height and relies on his teams defence. He also doesn't quite have that ability to take the ball to the line and put players through holes. He does seem to have ice in his veins on the big occasions and is incredibly aggressive in contact. Ford on the other hand kicks wonderfully from hand and with the world on his shoulders from the tee. Slices defences open ball in hand whilst bravely throwing himself at the knees of the opponent in defence.

Manu was in the preliminary squad. When fit and in form he is a special player and one Jones would want to deploy. The problem is he's never fit enough to get match fit and find his best form. Hopefully we'll see something of his best again this season.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A fully fit Manu would play 13. However England are good enough to be able to win without him. The pre Jones era really lacked options beyond chuck it to Tuillagi. Now we have the players and attacking options to win in his absence.
At present Farrell is the best 12. He could play 10 but we have options at 10 in Ford and given a run of luck Burns. 12 options are limited Slade, but he hasn't hit his straps since his broken leg.
SirGordonRamsey

Slade has been underperforming but thats becuase Exeter have been in general, he's meant to be a 10 but they can't replace steenson so are forcing him into the centres.

Inside line on Manu is his recurent leg injurys were caused by nerve problems not muscular ones. He's since had surgery to have a nerve removed and once he's back on the field he'll be around for 'much' longer. (Never hold yourbreath with manu news though).

I disagree about Farrel's tactical kicking against leicester the commontators could stop raving about the Farrel kicking masterclass.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

This thread seems to have become a comparison of the strengths of Farrell and Ford. Surely this is not the point, Tigers do not have a choice of the two, maybe not even one. The only thing at issue is whether Tigers could be improved by the return of George Ford and even though I like both of our current options, the thought of Youngs and Ford being reunited at Tigers does excite me and, I suspect YBY.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The prospect of having Burns, Ford and Toomua to choose from to fill our 10 & 12 slots would be rather exciting! If we could add a strong 8 (Morgan?) to help bring out the best of YBY and a fit Manu at 13, so much the better!

But - would Burns and Ford accept vying for the 10 slot?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

strawclearer wrote:But - would Burns and Ford accept vying for the 10 slot?
I think it would work out aswell as the Williams/Burns combo. Ford will be away with England quite a lot.