George Ford or Burns - threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford

Post by 4071 »

GS wrote:As usual I agree with JG on Ford. We all know he has a talent and could go far but what he's lacking is bottle. In his last season here he had a run of starts at the beginning when Flood was injured and failed to sparkle and claim the spot. Whether this was because the 'deal' was already done with daddy I don't know but when he came on at Twickenham when Flood went off he appeared less than enthusiastic. On the biggest stage in domestic rugby he looked like he couldn't care less. Sorry, I expect more from a Tigers player. Cipriani looked much better when Sale had knocked him into shape but I'm not sure we are the club that can afford to do the same to young George. I'm not sure any club can TBH, not while daddy is on the scene offering the possibility of a safe refuge when the nasty men start shouting at him.
So that whole England career, pulling the strings at international level, winning a Grand Slam and a whitewash in Australia... that's irrelevant because he didn't 'sparkle' in a short run of games as a 19-year old.

Sure, seems legit.
Southerntiger

Post by Southerntiger »

What I find hilarious is that people like me get told off for saying OW is no good when no international coach has ever rated him, he doesn't even get mentioned as a possible option for Wales 3 wildcard picks and I barely ever remember seeing him making a line break for Tigers.

But George Ford who has won games single handedly, won a Grand Slam, series whitewash in Australia and is lauded by some of the most respected coaches in the world is :censored:.

The only thing OW does better than GF is kick goals but as we have seen with Freddie that can be easily improved. Even though George is smaller, I think they both don't miss many tackles

And to coin an Austin healey phrase about Andy Goode, George can break down defences better on one leg than Owen can do on two
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Are you sure that wasn't about himself!?
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

Southerntiger wrote:What I find hilarious is that people like me get told off for saying OW is no good when no international coach has ever rated him, he doesn't even get mentioned as a possible option for Wales 3 wildcard picks and I barely ever remember seeing him making a line break for Tigers.

But George Ford who has won games single handedly, won a Grand Slam, series whitewash in Australia and is lauded by some of the most respected coaches in the world is :censored:.

The only thing OW does better than GF is kick goals but as we have seen with Freddie that can be easily improved. Even though George is smaller, I think they both don't miss many tackles

And to coin an Austin healey phrase about Andy Goode, George can break down defences better on one leg than Owen can do on two
Think you'd agree that a good player is not defined by what international coaches rate them, especially as Wales have Priestland and Biggar. Cippers isnt even in the England squad, does that mean he is not rated?

Won games single handedly? There are 14 other players on the pitch, at this level no one person wins the game. He also didnt make it out of the group stages of the World Cup and finished in 9th place with Bath. Most people would say that the point you've made usually surround Eddie Jones, not George Ford... And although Eddie Jones rates him now once England have a midfield Faz will be at 10 and Ford will be a bench player.

Im not saying Ford is better or worse than our current fly halfs, but I dont believe that bringing Ford in is going to turn us into Saracens.

Side note:

Farrel is 25
Ford 23
If England are building for World Cup 2019 theres no reason Ford will be in at 10 ahead of Farrel.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

If we are planning on changing fly halfs, I see no reason to ouste our current 10's for anyone less than, Faz, Foley, Barret or Pollard.

Ford is not that much different skill wise to our current 10's, at least in my opinion.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

gavin mortimer ‏has tweeted

Midi claims that Ford junior definitely won't be coming to Toulon but will "sign for Leicester". However, Luther Burrell might head south
2/
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

SirGordonRamsey wrote:If we are planning on changing fly halfs, I see no reason to ouste our current 10's for anyone less than, Faz, Foley, Barret or Pollard.

Ford is not that much different skill wise to our current 10's, at least in my opinion.
Mine too. And I agree with your selection, Fazlet would be fine but we don;t have that kind of ££££ unless we buy an English resident.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Owen may well be returning to Wales to have a chance of international selection.
With just a handful of wildcards available and many of them already allocated to established stars he would be relying on a lot of injuries to get a chance of international selection. Moving home would give him a shot at selection.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

mol2 wrote:Owen may well be returning to Wales to have a chance of international selection.
With just a handful of wildcards available and many of them already allocated to established stars he would be relying on a lot of injuries to get a chance of international selection. Moving home would give him a shot at selection.
As I've posted elswhere - he's turned down Scarlets - that realistically only leaves Ospreys. Decline of a promising career IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Ospreys doesn't make much sense either though with Biggar and Sam Davies.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Just read that Ford is under contract at Bath for the next two years.He's going to cost a fortune!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Lammy wrote:Just read that Ford is under contract at Bath for the next two years.He's going to cost a fortune!
Highly unlikely I know but if he is seriously unhappy at Bath he could take a leaf out of Castro's book and buy himself entirely or partially out of his contract, to facilitate his exit.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Here's the link to George Ford's interview with Chris Foy...http://tinyurl.com/q83kr8v
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

We know that what Ford says and what happens could be two different things. It is quite possible he will return to Tigers (indeed likeley given his longstanding friendships with YBY, DC etc), but unless Cohen has had a stupendous brainfart it would have to be a personal buy-out.
So really we don't know what the Farouk is going on?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Lammy wrote:Just read that Ford is under contract at Bath for the next two years.He's going to cost a fortune!
And given the reported state of our finances, we can't afford that then!