George Ford or Burns - threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: George Ford

Post by Hinckley Bob »

The suggestion that Freddie could be used as a part exchange without his knowledge and agreement is clearly nonsense. He is not a serf to be passed between owners but free to negotiate his own contracts. Where it becomes a possibility is that Freddie was always a Bath supporter and may be prepared to accept such an offer.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It is not a"wendyball" thing it is a professional sports thing.

This is how it is. Tigers want what they feel is a better player so are willing to let a very good player go to bring in the even better player.

You either want the best players at our club to get success or you don't. If you want success, then expect a slit throat and immoral actions.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Hinckley Bob wrote:The suggestion that Freddie could be used as a part exchange without his knowledge and agreement is clearly nonsense. He is not a serf to be passed between owners but free to negotiate his own contracts. Where it becomes a possibility is that Freddie was always a Bath supporter and may be prepared to accept such an offer.
Well said, Freddie will be a free agent at the end of this season and will make his own decisions. Bath is where he hails from and who knows maybe he has had enough with not being geographically close to his friends and family.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If Burns is a free agent at the end of the season then the reality is that Tigers will have no say as to where he signs beyond offering him a contract themselves. He is no more ours to offer in part exchange for Ford than Dan Carter or Owen Farrell.

Personally I hope Freddie stays and I think he is a more talented player than Ford and I think Eddie Jones should be looking very closely at bringing him back into the England set up.

That's not to say that Ford isn't a very good player but if I had to pick I'd go for Burns.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Burns free at the end of the season? Does his contract expire at the end of this season? He signed a new contract in December.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I'm not sure why anyone feels Burns is being poorly treated. It seems to me that the club is simply being honest. They will always need to consider any top class players that become available. But any negotiations between the club and any players should be confidential.

He is, and remains (hopefully) a valued player.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Premiership rugby and thus Tigers are a business but businesses that mess around with the emotions of employees do not , in general, perform well in the long term. I do not know what went in a t Bath in relation to Sam Burgess and other players leaving but the suggestion made is the Mike Ford "lost the dressing room". George was presumably piggy in the middle with that. If Tigers get into a similar atmosphere of player recentment then we could end up 9th too. Virtually the same team of players with a new coach are 3rd but George wants out. Not a good path to follow for Tigers.

Who is the best player? I think England selection is a bit if a red herring as England Coaches do not like the mercurial and stick to steady predictable types. Either would be good for Tigers but not at the expense of team or player moral. I hope that has not been too dented already. I shall give Freddie a big cheer on Saturday!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I stand corrected Burns signed a new 2 year deal back in January but of course if the club and he agree then he can become a free agent :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

fleabane wrote:Support Freddie by giving him a great cheer at every opportunity on Saturday
Totally agree - remember when the Crumbie rocked to the chants of "Freddie, Freddie, Freddie" etc let us fans make him feel wanted this Saturday & put Myler off his game too. :smt041
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Weighing in a bit late on this but I'm struggling to understand the nett gain in bringing back Ford if it means losing Burns. Both have their good points and bad points and Ford is likely to be more expensive.

Also like to keep Williams, unless of course he wants to return to Wales. He can play 10 and 12 and we're not exactly over resourced in that area at the moment.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

ourla wrote:If Burns is a better player than Ford why is he not in the England Elite squad?

Just asking.....
Tom Youngs is a better player than Hartley yet he isn't in the EPS. Enough said.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

voice of the crumbie wrote:
ourla wrote:If Burns is a better player than Ford why is he not in the England Elite squad?

Just asking.....
Tom Youngs is a better player than Hartley yet he isn't in the EPS. Enough said.
Jones like his modern hookers to be 6ft plus I suspect.
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

fleabane wrote:Support Freddie by giving him a great cheer at every opportunity on Saturday
Wish I could be there to add to the roar!
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

I wonder if James Hook going back to Ospreys has any bearing on where OW will be going?
cheers
Rich
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

voice of the crumbie wrote:

Just asking.....
Ford is the better player - he has been representing England at every age group, and is the first choice 10 for England. Whether or not he stays at 10 if we get a better 12 for England remains to be seen (personally I think Farrell is developing into an excellent 12). Personally I don't see Burns developing into a better player than Ford. Burns is 3 years older - Ford will develop just as much as Burns, and with the added exposure of international games.

Place kicking needs to improve with Ford, but Tigers are also one of the only top teams who don't seem to have a backup kicker in their starting line up.

And that's probably the most ridiculous counter argument - Hartley has been excellent for England ever since he became captain!!