George Ford or Burns - threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Iain wrote:The more I think of it the less I'm keen on signing Ford.

Burns is a superb talent and he's getting better and better. He's unlikely to get in the England side (so he's ours all the time) and Ford's presence keeping him out of the side can only be to his detriment and make him less good. He's more valuable to us than Ford and less expensive to boot.

Especially since it looks like we might well keep Williams - I just don't see why we need Ford.
:smt023 +1
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ellis9 wrote:How about this as an option to get the best of both. Keep both Burns and Owen Williams and still bring in Ford!

9. Youngs/Harrison/Kitto
10. Ford/Burns/Williams
11. Pietersen/Brady
12. Toomua/Williams/Roberts
13. Tuilagi/Betham/Catchpole
14. Betham/Thompstone
15. Veainu/Tait/Worth
Looks good although I think Catchpole suits wing more if I'm being picky.

Something like
9) Kitto although would be tempted to bring up Simmons or White next season.
10) Hardwick/Bryant
11) Catchpole
12) Roberts
13) Thacker
14) Yayawawa
15) Worth

Would also not offer Tait a new deal or have it at a bargain price, if Ford is on big money and Worth plays well this season when given the chance would save us some cap maybe have

15) Veainu, Worth, Simmons.
sebco
Tiger Cub

Post by sebco »

just going back to the podcast thing, is that really how a top club treats its top players by trying to give them away in part ex, i find that very hard to believe guys but if it is true what a great shame just when Freddy is behind so much of what is good about the current squad.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Iain wrote: Especially since it looks like we might well keep Williams - I just don't see why we need Ford.
Because some people think he isn't the messiah?

If he comes here, fine. If he doesn't, is it worth worrying about? No.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

sebco wrote:just going back to the podcast thing, is that really how a top club treats its top players by trying to give them away in part ex, i find that very hard to believe guys but if it is true what a great shame just when Freddy is behind so much of what is good about the current squad.
I find it difficult to believe that even the most rabid Cockers hater or Ford lover would take this as in any way possible. I have looked at this eggchasers podcast page and the headlines for the seven podcasts make no mention of such a bombshell, promising instead treats such as which rugby player could have been in One Direction and which team has the best kit. i for one have no intention of wading through the material to find out whether something is there which I frankly do not believe.

For those who do consider it possible I have to advise you that I am a Nigerian prince who needs a small downpayment to facilitate access to huge funds that I will gladly share with you in return for your brief financial assistance.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I had not listened to any rugby supporters podcasts prior to last week but downloaded a few episodes of egg chasers to listen to whilst doing some travelling for work. It is quite entertaining but they are semi well connected. One is radio DJ who does announcing at Sale and sone interviewing for TV and another seems to be a mate of Tom Brady, so most info seems to be 2nd hand gossip. Interesting enough to pass on in the pub, not authoritative enough to invest on and only bet on if you are a seasoned gambler!
I then found out one of the chaps I came across on my travels contributed to another podcast called "They think it's maul over". Three of them used to tweet to each other whilst watching games so decided to share it. Seems Canterbury and some other companies are being supportive with free entry to games if press tickets are spare. They know a few media and agent contacts to get gossip but it is mainly just sharing their opinions. An audio message board with 3 members! Both podcasts seem a bit more positive than on here some times and quite even handed between teams.

For what it is worth both seem to think Ford will go to Sale. I hope we keep both Owen and Freddie and that any incident does not dent Freddie's confidence. We do need quality players but Sarrues performance seems to be based on a team structure players fit into and execute well with minor changes rather than big changes to adapt round individual player style. Maybe we need to think more like that until we crack the handling and team work?
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Offside wrote:I had not listened to any rugby supporters podcasts prior to last week but downloaded a few episodes of egg chasers to listen to whilst doing some travelling for work. It is quite entertaining but they are semi well connected. One is radio DJ who does announcing at Sale and sone interviewing for TV and another seems to be a mate of Tom Brady, so most info seems to be 2nd hand gossip. Interesting enough to pass on in the pub, not authoritative enough to invest on and only bet on if you are a seasoned gambler!
I then found out one of the chaps I came across on my travels contributed to another podcast called "They think it's maul over". Three of them used to tweet to each other whilst watching games so decided to share it. Seems Canterbury and some other companies are being supportive with free entry to games if press tickets are spare. They know a few media and agent contacts to get gossip but it is mainly just sharing their opinions. An audio message board with 3 members! Both podcasts seem a bit more positive than on here some times and quite even handed between teams.

For what it is worth both seem to think Ford will go to Sale. I hope we keep both Owen and Freddie and that any incident does not dent Freddie's confidence. We do need quality players but Sarrues performance seems to be based on a team structure players fit into and execute well with minor changes rather than big changes to adapt round individual player style. Maybe we need to think more like that until we crack the handling and team work?
Welcome Offside and thanks for the insight and views.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Freddie very uncomfortable with question about Ford swap when asked on "Rugby Tonight". Got sympathy from Ben Kay who felt he should not have to justify his position, having arrived under a cloud, but has now established himself as first choice 10. Freddie saying the club will do what is in its own best interests.

Let's hope that means keeping Freddie and Owen. But he didn't sound hopeful.
Valhalla I am coming!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I just hope we don't end up with not getting ford and :censored: Freddie off.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote:I just hope we don't end up with not getting ford and :censored: Freddie off.
Seconded :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

Seems abit too late for that unfortunatly.

Freddie seemed pretty phaed by that question.

http://sport.bt.com/burns-tigers-will-a ... 4117636792
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

By the sounds of it, Freddie has had no guarantees that Ford isn't coming or that he is staying.
Poor management if that's the case. Burns has been much improved this season and would be a shame to lose a player who is on less money, not in the international set so here all season, improving as a player and a fans favourite.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Support Freddie by giving him a great cheer at every opportunity on Saturday
Valhalla I am coming!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

SirGordonRamsey wrote:Seems abit too late for that unfortunatly.

Freddie seemed pretty phaed by that question.

http://sport.bt.com/burns-tigers-will-a ... 4117636792

Did he? I think he answered that well.

Naturally I'd be keen for an improvement in any position and the incumbent form 10 in England isn't a bad shout for improvement - but Freddie is a proven operator for us and investment in his position in the form of Ford might be excessive. You'd have to think if he keeps performing like this he could put himself in the frame.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

fleabane wrote:Support Freddie by giving him a great cheer at every opportunity on Saturday
:smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives