Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford

Post by Hot_Charlie »

strawclearer wrote:
wardy wrote:
TigerCam wrote:In the RP is says that Bath will not allow to Ford to return to the Tigers? If this is so can someone enlighten me on why? If he has triggered his release clause as papers suggest,can he not go wherever he wishes or am I missing something?

It's presumably because they have another clause in his contract which allows them to do so! IMHO and based on some legal experience that must be 'restraint of trade'.
...or Craig's way of 'upping the ante'!
Sadly this seems to be the Bath way with the current ownership. I think the mentality is that Bath have a god given right to win the AP because they've spent so much money. The fact it's been spent unwisely on PR stunts like Burgess are no one else's fault.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

wardy wrote:
TigerCam wrote:In the RP is says that Bath will not allow to Ford to return to the Tigers? If this is so can someone enlighten me on why? If he has triggered his release clause as papers suggest,can he not go wherever he wishes or am I missing something?

It's presumably because they have another clause in his contract which allows them to do so! IMHO and based on some legal experience that must be 'restraint of trade'.
Non-compete clauses are pretty commonplace in some industries - the one's i've read over/dealt with are geography related where competition is located nearby - I'm unsure where deciding on which club "gets you" lies on this - seems to happen in football a lot though?
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

It was obvious George was approached illegally by Bath when he was a Tigers player. If I were George and Bath were threatening me with these clauses I would highlight this point.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

With Flats' opinion being referenced on another thread, it may be of note that he has said Banahan has been Bath's best player for the last two seasons. Perhaps he would be a better target from the Rec? (stirring emoticon)
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
sebco
Tiger Cub

Post by sebco »

i much prefer to give Freddy and Owen our 100% support than have them thinking it may be time to look else where so early in the season. if it happens then fair enough, personally i hope not, we haven't seen the best of Freddy, he gets better every game and has scored nearly all the points for our last two wins, 20 against Quinns and instrumental in Owens try.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Will S wrote:It was obvious George was approached illegally by Bath when he was a Tigers player. If I were George and Bath were threatening me with these clauses I would highlight this point.
Yes and they would be on the floor laughing. There is one thing having unsubstantiated hearsay and another having a written contract.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

sebco wrote:i much prefer to give Freddy and Owen our 100% support than have them thinking it may be time to look else where so early in the season. if it happens then fair enough, personally i hope not, we haven't seen the best of Freddy, he gets better every game and has scored nearly all the points for our last two wins, 20 against Quinns and instrumental in Owens try.
But it may not be in our hands. Owen may choose to return to Wales. I hope he doesn't by the way. But that idea seems to be circulating.
sebco
Tiger Cub

Post by sebco »

ourla wrote:
sebco wrote:i much prefer to give Freddy and Owen our 100% support than have them thinking it may be time to look else where so early in the season. if it happens then fair enough, personally i hope not, we haven't seen the best of Freddy, he gets better every game and has scored nearly all the points for our last two wins, 20 against Quinns and instrumental in Owens try.
But it may not be in our hands. Owen may choose to return to Wales. I hope he doesn't by the way. But that idea seems to be circulating.

yes you are absolutely right, i hope he stays, i hope they both stay.
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

BREAKING!

Eggchasers podcast Tim says, whilst trying to aquire GF this season, Cockers offered Bath Freddie Burns as a replacement.

Apparently Burns was not informed but found out, and(In a round about way)went to Cockers office, said it to Cockers who replied with something like 'Yeah, deal with it'.

All words from the podcast.

Media all over Freddie at the moment and he's now starting alot more than recently, and he's been playing Anglo-welsh. Cockers deservedly pairsing him in the post match.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Given the choice between Freddie (who gets better and better imho and is unlikely to spend any time away on international duty) or GF who will cost another £200k-ish and be away for England for probably every match...no contest.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

strawclearer wrote:Given the choice between Freddie (who gets better and better imho and is unlikely to spend any time away on international duty) or GF who will cost another £200k-ish and be away for England for probably every match...no contest.
Way off the mark. One club said to be offering GF £800k+
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

SirGordonRamsey wrote:BREAKING!

Eggchasers podcast Tim says, whilst trying to aquire GF this season, Cockers offered Bath Freddie Burns as a replacement.

Apparently Burns was not informed but found out, and(In a round about way)went to Cockers office, said it to Cockers who replied with something like 'Yeah, deal with it'.

Media all over Freddie at the moment and he's now starting alot more than recently, and he's been playing Anglo-welsh. Cockers deservedly pairsing him in the post match.
If that was a true account of actions by the club then it might seem we are making a strong bid to have no 10s as well as no 8s
I'm not cynical just experienced
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

SIBARITE wrote:
strawclearer wrote:Given the choice between Freddie (who gets better and better imho and is unlikely to spend any time away on international duty) or GF who will cost another £200k-ish and be away for England for probably every match...no contest.
Sale it depends if that is the cost that makes him consider sale or if that is the price he wants full stop I guess.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

SirGordonRamsey wrote:BREAKING!

You find that very difficult to believe in such a blunt fashion - whilst Ford would be an upgrade that's a hell of a 0-sum end game maneuver there. If talks with Freddie were offered as bartering it's a bit different to suggesting a swap and sale without personal terms which I don't even believe is possible with the way player contracts are constructed.

In other words I don't believe this happened - at least not in the way it's being put forward.

FWIW if it was a swap involving Freddie I'd be considerably less keen no Ford's move here.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

RagingBull wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:
Sale it depends if that is the cost that makes him consider sale or if that is the price he wants full stop I guess.
I think Ford has to find another club as Bath say Leicester is a big No! Would Bath change their minds for a fee? Probably but is GF really worth that?