George Ford or Burns - threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford

Post by h's dad »

LE18 wrote:H's Dad, which one are you talking about?
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Owen Williams is decent defensively. George Ford, despite his best efforts, isn't. I hope that is the clarification you were after.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I understood you the first time h's dad, I just don't happen to agree with you, nor does Eddie Jones, but what does he know about rugby players?!
Soggypitch
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Soggypitch wrote:I understood you the first time h's dad, I just don't happen to agree with you, nor does Eddie Jones, but what does he know about rugby players?!
It is indeed bemusing, given, for example, Ford's performance against Wales under Eddie. He is clearly far more forgiving than he is given credit for. We'll see where Eddie goes for his tens as his England evolves under his tenure.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

kelmat wrote:
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote:Whilst at work last night, I spoke to a gent who claims is a close friend of Bath management and its 95% certain Ford is coming to Tigers. Now, this cannot be verified, but he was adamant..
Heard the same thing from a media presenter friend!
Just talking up his rate to get the best deal out of Toulon?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

It's all very well saying he'll just go to Toulon but that is rather different in this case. Ford is still in the early stages of a potentially long and lucrative international career, which can open up many financial doors which would close with a move to the Top14.

He'd potentially lose far more than he could gain; he's not €1m Dan Carter yet.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

H's Dad, thanks I'm with you now, but think that George has improved in all those depts lately, except his place kicking, which all seems to fit with EJ assessment of him. No doubt though he will be dumped in favour of Farrell once EJ has his centre sorted.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Why would Tigers want Ford! Unless OW is bent on going back to Wales and I hope not. We have the best 2 10's we have had for for some time.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

iceman_19 wrote:I wouldn't be fussed about him returning. I am not sure that, if given a platform by the pack (no guarantee this season), he is a better fly half than Freddie - in fact, I'd suggest that he isn't.

I think Freddie's got a better running game and is the better goal kicker - Ford probably nudges him on cute chips/grubbers, but Freddie's not too bad at that stuff either.

Freddie is too good to be deemed a back-up flyhalf and, if Ford comes, I wouldn't be surprised to see lots of other clubs tempting him with guaranteed 1st XV rugby.
Burns doesn't control the game. His management of ball and territory is inconsistent and tends to lean heavily on taking attacking risks even in our own half even when we're ahead. This is why Williams seems to have jumped him in the pecking order at present and presumably why we're looking to bring back Ford who is excellent in his game management.

He's a fantastically talented footballer bit I think he'd be best moved to 15 where he can still place kick, free to counter and can come into the line as an additional playmaker to offer his attacking instincts.

Basically I'd play him in a similar fashion to how we deployed Geordie as we then have a ready made understudy in Worth.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Did you watch the Bath game. He controlled it superbly
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

and in the Racing game as well ! Perhaps Sam doesn't watch Tigers?
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

With Worth playing so well I wonder which club he will go to? :smt002
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

It's George Worth's 21st on tuesday & with his performance last night i hope he gets another shot at full back next week for he fully deserves it (As long as he doesn't do too much partying that night!)
Maybe Worth! a punt at giving him a spot in the first team at centre or full back.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

As usual I agree with JG on Ford. We all know he has a talent and could go far but what he's lacking is bottle. In his last season here he had a run of starts at the beginning when Flood was injured and failed to sparkle and claim the spot. Whether this was because the 'deal' was already done with daddy I don't know but when he came on at Twickenham when Flood went off he appeared less than enthusiastic. On the biggest stage in domestic rugby he looked like he couldn't care less. Sorry, I expect more from a Tigers player. Cipriani looked much better when Sale had knocked him into shape but I'm not sure we are the club that can afford to do the same to young George. I'm not sure any club can TBH, not while daddy is on the scene offering the possibility of a safe refuge when the nasty men start shouting at him.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Qbec wrote:It's George Worth's 21st on tuesday & with his performance last night i hope he gets another shot at full back next week for he fully deserves it (As long as he doesn't do too much partying that night!)
Maybe Worth! a punt at giving him a spot in the first team at centre or full back.
Would be tempted to start him @15 what with the midfield being stretched and Veainu not avaiable for Quins.

Backline v Quins of
9) Harrison, 10) Burns
12) Tait, 13) Betham
11) Thompstone, 14) Catchpole, 15) Worth

21) Kitto, 22) Williams, 23) Brady

Would be pretty good IMO.

Edit forgot Roberts he would def be in there somewhere aswell.
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

On the basis that Burns or Owens are not lining up a move away from Tigers then I dont see priority for Ford to join our ranks.

For me, Burns is our first choice fly half, the club (including fans) should really support Burns reach his potential and make it back into the England fold. His game continues to improve, he's a talismanic leader, and he has bags of flair. Owens, another competent premiership quality fly half, more orthodox than Freddie which gives us options.