Matt Toomua - anyone heard any news yet?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Matt Toomua - anyone heard any news yet?

Post by WirralExile »

The lad seemed to flinch in pain as he turned to avoid a tackle coming in and from my seat in the Caterpillar/MetRX stand I could clearly see he was in pain before the tackle arrived. He managed to walk off the pitch though, so hopefully a strain rather than serious ligament damage.

If anyone has anyone other news, I and I think many others would appreciate hearing it.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt Toomua - anyone heard any news yet?

Post by WhitecapTiger »

WirralExile wrote:The lad seemed to flinch in pain as he turned to avoid a tackle coming in and from my seat in the Caterpillar/MetRX stand I could clearly see he was in pain before the tackle arrived. He managed to walk off the pitch though, so hopefully a strain rather than serious ligament damage.

If anyone has anyone other news, I and I think many others would appreciate hearing it.
Cockers said on RL after the match he would be having a scan shortly - I presume that meant today or tomorrow.

In time we'll find out the results of that I guess.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Thanks Whitecap. I missed that interview as I was making my way back to the car park. Fingers crossed then.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

If it was serious knee ligament damage you wouldn't expect him to walk off, let's hope it's just a minor strain, would be surprised if Barrow or Veainu play next week with the concussion protocol, are the England players missing this weekend?
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

I am usually a glass half full guy, but I wouldn't read too much into the fact he was able to walk off without too much of a limp. I tore my ACL and gave my knee a solid going over and, after 1 minute of agony, it died down quite a bit and I was able to hobble off myself. Fingers cross it's a bad sprain more than anything, but it does look like that 12 shirt is cursed.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

iceman_19 wrote:I am usually a glass half full guy, but I wouldn't read too much into the fact he was able to walk off without too much of a limp. I tore my ACL and gave my knee a solid going over and, after 1 minute of agony, it died down quite a bit and I was able to hobble off myself. Fingers cross it's a bad sprain more than anything, but it does look like that 12 shirt is cursed.
Watching it back on the TV though it didn't appear to buckle in any way, which normally causes the ACL (trying to look for the +ve here, not having a go! :smt023 )

He did indicate the outside of the knee at one close up, so I'm hoping that it's medial and not serious. He did look in pain though.....
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Guardian reported a jarred knee. Take from that what you may...
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Tigers tweet on Twitter that he needs knee surgery and will be out for Six Months.

I believe the phrase I'm looking for rhymes with 'Clucking Bell'.
Tigers till I die

Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

unbelievable, will we ever get a break (no pun intended)?
cheers
Rich
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Yeah that is catastrophically bad.

In before someone blames the club.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Hard luck to Matt, to say the least. Worryingly with ACL issues it seems to be hit/miss if a player comes back at the same level. I've never had the same confidence in my knee (although I didn't have professional rehab). Wishing him all the best.

I assume we can look at injury dispensation for this, too? Any thoughts? The NZ season is over and doesn't start until the end of Feb...could we pinch someone like Ryan Crotty for 3/4 months?
Tigers till I die

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

A disaster to be honest. We were crazily short of quality fit centres already, we need somebody else in this year if at all possible. Just have no idea who could be available.

We really do have no luck.
Soggypitch
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Such a body blow for us and the player. Surely we will be afforded some injury dispensation and be able to bring someone in, that's if there is anybody! Without a quality 12 we are stuffed for winning anything. I can't be doing with another season of makeshift inside centres trying their best but ultimately being a poor replacement for Ant Allen.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

iceman_19 wrote:Worryingly with ACL issues it seems to be hit/miss if a player comes back at the same level. I've never had the same confidence in my knee (although I didn't have professional rehab).
I had similar with ACL, was never the same but like you, not at the same level as theses guys.

not sure if it will make much difference but the reports I saw have said it's a ruptured PCL, not ACL.

I 'vaguely' remember (without much conviction I might add - maybe I'm just trying to look on the brightside) that my consultant said tearing the ACL was worse than the PCL. Could be wrong and opinions may have changed a lot anyway.

Terrible luck for player and club. Hope he gets rested well and returns soon.

Hopefully we'll be able to use the injury dispensation (as others have said) but quite who is available and at what price, remains to be seen.

Get well soon Matt.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

If he's a marquee player, wouldn't he be outside the salary cap? How would injury dispensation work there? would we be allowed another marquee?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….