Matt Toomua - anyone heard any news yet?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BIttySmalls

Re: Matt Toomua - anyone heard any news yet?

Post by BIttySmalls »

Apologies in advance but can I just say......!!!!

Good luck with the rehab Matt.

With injury dispensation money shouldn't be an issue so who is available guys??
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

We must have been so bad in a previous life!!! :smt022
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Nobody worth having. Unless there's a world class southern hemisphere 12 just retired who fancies a last big cheque, no names come to mind though.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

Home grown then?

Does Charlie Thacker play 12 or 13?

No Manu, No Toomua, No 8. Season is likely a write off (joke) so lets blood some youth.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Maybe we could try and buy Sloan from Quins.

Played nearly every game last season and this season sweet nothing (he might be injured).

Other than that maybe target a ulitily back from the SH or something. Like Tom English or a Saffa.

Academy we have Worth, Bryant and Thacker who can play 12.
With Roberts and Smith in the senior squad.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

It sounds like people didn't catch this on the radio. Cockers was pressed a few times on whether we'd be looking to replace him and said pretty clearly that we didn't have the cash so we'd be looking to cover it from within the squad.

Obviously a chance it's smoke and mirrors (although can't think why it would be), but he said we don't have much choice and that it's a good squad and we should be ok.
Never believe generalisations
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BG01 wrote:It sounds like people didn't catch this on the radio. Cockers was pressed a few times on whether we'd be looking to replace him and said pretty clearly that we didn't have the cash so we'd be looking to cover it from within the squad.

Obviously a chance it's smoke and mirrors (although can't think why it would be), but he said we don't have much choice and that it's a good squad and we should be ok.
I could think of why it would be smoke and mirrors TBH, it is easier to negotiate anything if it doesn't seem like your desperate.

Although he could well be speaking the truth I not certain on this one.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Very sad for Toomua, not been a great year for him for injuries.
I would've thought it's an opportunity for Jack Roberts or at 10/12 of Burns/Williams.
A replacement comes down to money and if any is available.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

BG01 wrote:It sounds like people didn't catch this on the radio. Cockers was pressed a few times on whether we'd be looking to replace him and said pretty clearly that we didn't have the cash so we'd be looking to cover it from within the squad.

Is awful luck for both us and Toomua, gutted.

I also think the fact that we won't even be trying to get a like-for-like replacement makes clear the unpleasant reality that people have been refusing to accept for 3 or 4 years, which is that we are now competing at a material disadvantage to the likes of the sugar daddy funded Saracens and Bath and the bond funded Wasps. We obviously could use injury dispensation to get somebody else in, but that doesn't get us the money back, and we simply can't afford it when we are living within our means. The Arsenal comparison isn't a bad one. I think it's also generally worth bearing this in mind when reviewing the performances of the coaching team etc. Could anybody else do better given the inherent disadvantage we start at when compared to Sarries, Bath, Wasps?

Anyway, that's enough doom and gloom for now, we beat Racing on Sunday and you never know we might actually get a fit Manu back in a few weeks for the remainder of the season!
Joe The Tigers Fan
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Total disaster, regardless of what Cockers says about the strength of our squad, Toomua is world class the same cannot be said about any other centres at Tigers bar Manu in his pomp. As for injury dispensation cash, we have spent some of it on the replacement for Mike Williams. I believed its limited to £400k per season regardless of the number of injuries?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Lets just hope he makes a full recovery and we are still in contention when he is back. Given that he was also covering 10 and kicking duties, I wonder if they may wait before looking for a replacement as if something happens to Owen or Freddie we could really be up the creek. It looks like there is a centre at Irish called Tommy Bell - could he be worth a try?
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Wish I'd never asked the question now! :smt022
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Unbelievable bad luck. I just hope that Matt can complete a successful rehab and be available for pre season. Perhaps we should just retire the 12 shirt as it seems cursed.
I'm not cynical just experienced
murphy15
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by murphy15 »

I feel like this happens to such a disproportionate number of our big signings. The club is a walking sick bay. Or cursed.
Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tçnei te tangata pûhuruhuru
Nâna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te râ
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Horrendous luck for both Matt and for Tigers.
We've needed a quality 12 for ages, and then this happens!
I'll join others in wishing him a complete, and hopefully speedy, recovery.

As Jose alluded to in his post, even if the Club is still within the financial limits of paying for an injury dispensation replacement, there's the bigger picture of our funding to consider. We have just reported a loss for the last year, and we have since invested in a new pitch. I suspect that the money isn't there, even if the right player could be found.