Sky v BT TV coverage

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

grobyman

Sky v BT TV coverage

Post by grobyman »

One thing that clearly shows during European weekends is the gulf between these two broadcasters. I was sceptical when BT first took over, but the content far far exceeds that of Sky. It is a while since I last watched a game covered by Sky given they only cover non AVIVA games, Pro12, Championship and Super 14; I had forgotten how bad it was.

Yesterday, Montpellier v Leinster was a good case in point, the co commentator was an injured Leinster player and was so so one eyed, almost cringeworthy. Judging from the comments he made you would have thought Leinster won, very little credit to the winners.

I know that we all have a one eyed approach for your own team, but to have this on a principal broadcast commentary was unprofessional. BT do have the occasional moment, but generally they are relatively impartial and talk about what they see. Ben Kay and Austin Healey for example you would expect to have a view, often they are the loudest critics of Tigers. Even Dayglo has the odd positive thing to say.

Content is generally informative rather than patronising, Sky is light years from its heyday and its format looks and sounds somewhat archaic now, particularly with Barnes, Morris and Harrison at the helm. Thank god they don't have the Premiership coverage now.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: Sky v BT TV coverage

Post by fleabane »

^+1
Valhalla I am coming!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Completely agree.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Amen to that. +1 :smt023
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

+1, although have not watched Sky for a while so cannot comment on their current format.

At the end of the match, do they still have 1 minute analysis, 3 minutes saying what else they are covering, and then go to adverts at least 7-8 minutes before the next programme is scheduled. At least BT have 10-15 minutes analysis (with interruption for adverts), depending on how long the game takes. Even with yesterday's 53 minute first half, they still had 4 or 5 minutes worth. I always used to think that Sky's studio guests were on a cushy number. 2-3 minutes chat before the game, 2-3 minutes interupting the adverts at half time, and 1-2 minutes after the game. Maybe 10 minutes max, split between two guests and the "host". Money for old rope.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I would be happy if either had a commentator mute button to be honest. Just the game and the ref mike would do me.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

I get your point big dai - I feel the need to point out that occasionally that ref is Wigglesworth who is about as annoying as Barnes
Less is more....
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

the sky commentators see bored, they have no enthusiasm at all..
cheers
Rich
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Bunchy wrote:I get your point big dai - I feel the need to point out that occasionally that ref is Wigglesworth who is about as annoying as Barnes
True........but then the ref would normally come in for some flack whereas the other morons would remain optional?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

Agreed from me too. I get so irritated when SKY commentators continually talk over the ref when he is explaining the decision he is made or when he has talking to/warning players about their actions. I find myself yelling "shut up" at the TV which (I know) is embarrassing. At least most BT commentators, especially Ben Kay, say "let's listen to this" before they pass comment. I am also sick to death of dinosaur Stuart Barnes describing what I have just seen with my own eyes, rather than offering any insight. He just seems to feel the need to fill air time. I really don't know why broadcasters have not offered an audio option of ground and ref only. Another beef with SKY - they don't broadcast rugby in UHD when BT do. Sky Q is supposed to be the next best thing for your viewing experience but as usual, SKY are only covering the round ball in UHD. The sooner the ERC suits ditch SKY the better.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I just don't understand where the posters above are coming from - BT rugby presentation has always been and remains patronizing and infantile, with random and haphazard camera work. At least the Sky commentators appear to understand the laws of the game!

I much, much prefer Sky's presentation.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

DickyP wrote:I just don't understand where the posters above are coming from - BT rugby presentation has always been and remains patronizing and infantile, with random and haphazard camera work. At least the Sky commentators appear to understand the laws of the game!

But...but...http://i4.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/ar ... barnes.jpg
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

You should have warned us what was coming, strawcleaner! Nasty shock!
Valhalla I am coming!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

fleabane wrote:You should have warned us what was coming, strawcleaner! Nasty shock!
Look - I've got a 'dicky ticker' and if I can take it, so can you! (Mind you, you may not want to click on my link in the 'Jokes revived' thread - it's even scarier!)

Oh and...I never 'cleaned' any straw - I cleared it! :smt026
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

strawclearer wrote:
DickyP wrote:I just don't understand where the posters above are coming from - BT rugby presentation has always been and remains patronizing and infantile, with random and haphazard camera work. At least the Sky commentators appear to understand the laws of the game!

But...but...http://i4.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/ar ... barnes.jpg
Would make a good tackle bag at Oval Park
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man