Leicester Tigers - Arsenal of rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SIBARITE

Re: Leicester Tigers - Arsenal of rugby

Post by SIBARITE »

strawclearer wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:Does anybody else detect a strong smell of Troll?
I don't but it's only because I make full use of my 'Ignore' button!
If you don't like debate then it seems odd that you are on the Forum at all. Sitting in front of a mirror and talking to your reflection would serve just as well. Open your mind. There are other opinions which might soon be validated.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Nice to be named by Crumblies. See you at the match so we can discuss facts and fandom, since you misrepresent me wilfully. You are going, aren't you? :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

SIBARITE wrote:
strawclearer wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:Does anybody else detect a strong smell of Troll?
I don't but it's only because I make full use of my 'Ignore' button!
If you don't like debate then it seems odd that you are on the Forum at all. Sitting in front of a mirror and talking to your reflection would serve just as well. Open your mind. There are other opinions which might soon be validated.
Oh, I'm more than happy with debate, it's deliberate provocation and personal insults aka trolling that I'm not keen on. With regards to sitting in front of the mirror etc., not something I've done. I take it from your recommendation that you have found benefit in it from personal experience.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Any chance this trolling might cease? I realise that some may not share my opinions (e.g. MOC, Meyer) but I don't mind arguing or being proven wrong (e.g.Winston Hartley), just cut out the sarky stuff. We can all do it, just makes people doing it look small.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

jgriffin wrote:Any chance this trolling might cease? I realise that some may not share my opinions (e.g. MOC, Meyer) but I don't mind arguing or being proven wrong (e.g.Winston Hartley), just cut out the sarky stuff. We can all do it, just makes people doing it look small.
I'm afraid trolling is a fact of online life. However, they only get their kicks if you react so - use the 'Ignore' button and don't respond to any of their comments. They're too immature to disagree without being disagreeable so don't waste your time. They'll get bored if they're ignored.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Just as a matter of interest could someone analyse the clubs debt as an amount per recognised squad member?
Otherwise this thread is a load of tosh!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

This is just a rugby forum, some of you really do take it too seriously!

I don't see the point of "pressing the ignore button" or of having "foes", if you don't like somebody's opinions generally just scan read their posts and don't bother to respond.

Personally I can't take Ellis9 seriously as he still stands by his statement that "Owen Farrell is rubbish", so everything else he writes I treat with more than a degree of scepticism, likewise Noddy who appears to be on a different planet; but I would never block them and talk of trolls is frankly paranoid - it's just different opinions! Just my humble opinion you understand! :smt002
Soggypitch
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Soggypitch wrote:This is just a rugby forum, some of you really do take it too seriously!

I don't see the point of "pressing the ignore button" or of having "foes", if you don't like somebody's opinions generally just scan read their posts and don't bother to respond.
I don't 'ignore' because I disagree - that's the whole point of the forum! And it's enjoyment through rugby and Tigers which keeps me coming back. I just 'ignore' 3 trolls who contribute nothing to the debate nor to my enjoyment. They're just irrelevances. :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Let's return to the OPs intent then...........,are we like Arsenal with odd shaped balls?
No. This on the basis we are talking about winning the English leagues we both play in. Simply, we have won recently, they haven't .
However, Arsenal have a manager who has kept his team more or less at the top of the tree for two decades, in the process building the support base to fill a new and much bigger stadium, and imposing a certain culture on the club that is a million miles away from the dreadful culture that existed around Adams, Merson and others.(And, yes, I know they decorated their trophy cabinet whilst remaining more or less permanently :censored:)
So, we're also not like Arsenal because we haven't had the same DoR for two decades and we are yet to regularly fill our current capacity . If Cockers is still in the job in 15 years and WF is regularly full, we can change this to Yes. Perhaps the better comparison here therefore is Toulouse v Arsenal?
The one thing we do have in common is that both clubs are on a sound footing, with good financial management , something that seems to be lacking in both sets of contemporaries in rugby and football.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

jgriffin wrote:Nice to be named by Crumblies. See you at the match so we can discuss facts and fandom, since you misrepresent me wilfully. You are going, aren't you? :smt004
Of course I'm going, I always go if I can, home & away. I was in Glasgow last week were you? Pity if you weren't, you missed all the interesting discussion after the game!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It may well be that building the new stands have hit the player budget over the past few seasons.

If you don't have the facilities the sponsors may not come.
If the results don't come the sponsors might not.
It's a fine balance.

Can you compare us to Arsenal? Arsenal are a big club but have never been consistently the dominant force.
Liverpool (or possibly Manchester United) nearer the mark - for a long time the most successful club struggling to return to the top. Liverpool generated a succession of managers from within but when that conveyor ran empty they struggled in bringing in new blood successfully.

Chelsea could be compared to Sarries - moderate club for most of their existence until recent money bought them success.

I'm not sure what rugby club City would compare to?
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

strawclearer wrote:
Soggypitch wrote:This is just a rugby forum, some of you really do take it too seriously!

I don't 'ignore' because I disagree - that's the whole point of the forum! And it's enjoyment through rugby and Tigers which keeps me coming back. I just 'ignore' 3 trolls who contribute nothing to the debate nor to my enjoyment. They're just irrelevances. :smt003
Describing people as irrelevances is going down a dark path. History is littered with people who had similar views. Not one of them is now considered as being a good representation of humanity. Democracy with all its flaws is better than the dictator.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Crumblies wrote:
jgriffin wrote:Nice to be named by Crumblies. See you at the match so we can discuss facts and fandom, since you misrepresent me wilfully. You are going, aren't you? :smt004
Of course I'm going, I always go if I can, home & away. I was in Glasgow last week were you? Pity if you weren't, you missed all the interesting discussion after the game!
Not well off enough, me old. £500 is a holiday with the grandchildren. Can always be found home (clubhouse 22) and similar away (Brizzle and Wuss this year but not Exe on 24th Dec). :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

jgriffin wrote:
Crumblies wrote:
Not well off enough, me old. £500 is a holiday with the grandchildren. Can always be found home (clubhouse 22) and similar away (Brizzle and Wuss this year but not Exe on 24th Dec). :smt023
A prime example of going on the attack and then crumbling. The fact is that each individual is able to do as they wish on their budget and to speak as they like without offending. A caveat to that is the poster who wants to take control rather than contribute or not to the discussions and then hides behind his own personal censoring of other posters.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

mol2 wrote:It may well be that building the new stands have hit the player budget over the past few seasons.

If you don't have the facilities the sponsors may not come.
If the results don't come the sponsors might not.
It's a fine balance.

Can you compare us to Arsenal? Arsenal are a big club but have never been consistently the dominant force.
Liverpool (or possibly Manchester United) nearer the mark - for a long time the most successful club struggling to return to the top. Liverpool generated a succession of managers from within but when that conveyor ran empty they struggled in bringing in new blood successfully.

Chelsea could be compared to Sarries - moderate club for most of their existence until recent money bought them success.

I'm not sure what rugby club City would compare to?
Toulon I suppose...? Just without the European success.

Our business model is sustainable. The likes of Bath and Saracens will be utterly stuffed if their backers get bored/leave/die. I am confident my great great grandchildren will be able to watch Leicester Tigers. I wondered share that optimism in Saracens.