Leicester Tigers - Arsenal of rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Southerntiger

Leicester Tigers - Arsenal of rugby

Post by Southerntiger »

Financially solid.

All the money in the infrastructure and not players.

Risk averse and happy to just balance the books and don't care about trophies.

Forgot it's an entertainment business and people pay to watch a product not admire the new stand.

Cockers is the new Arsene Wenger, failure for years and still clinging on. Probably doing Wenger a disservice here!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester Tigers - Arsenal of rugby

Post by MrPartridge »

I've been saying this for a while. Target is 4th and European Rugby.

Only difference is the Emirates is a sell out each week. I'd be surprised if our finances look anything like theirs!
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Southerntiger wrote:Financially solid.

Forgot it's an entertainment business and people pay to watch a product not admire the new stand.

Cockers is the new Arsene Wenger, failure for years and still clinging on. Probably doing Wenger a disservice here!
Wenger is a man of dignity/ gravitas that players respect. Cockers has..........?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It's a business, they have to make money otherwise Leicester Tigers will no longer be here! Why is that so hard to understand?!

Do you sit/stand there looking at a new stand? How weird! The purpose is to get more people in the stadium to make more money to improve the club.

The club spend up to the salary cap every season so to say the money isn't spent on players is wrong, ignorant and silly.

I watch a product every week. That's what I pay my money for and love doing it to support my club! If you are not happy with the product, why do you keep paying for it? Why don't you go and spend your money on a product which is more entertaining? If you purchased a product from a shop you weren't happy with you wouldn't buy it again. Maybe you should do that for your sports team if that's what you think being a supporter is.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

ellis9 wrote:It's a business, they have to make money otherwise Leicester Tigers will no longer be here! Why is that so hard to understand?!

Do you sit/stand there looking at a new stand? How weird! The purpose is to get more people in the stadium to make more money to improve the club.

The club spend up to the salary cap every season so to say the money isn't spent on players is wrong, ignorant and silly.

I watch a product every week. That's what I pay my money for and love doing it to support my club! If you are not happy with the product, why do you keep paying for it? Why don't you go and spend your money on a product which is more entertaining? If you purchased a product from a shop you weren't happy with you wouldn't buy it again. Maybe you should do that for your sports team if that's what you think being a supporter is.
I do look at the new stand and all round the ground where there are empty seats and wonder was it really necessary? The objective is not just to use the salary cap but to use it wisely. Lots of empty seats or a top quality number 8. Which would you prefer? People can just turn up on the day now and be assured of a ticket thus reducing the need for a season ticket. Good business? I don't think so.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It's good actually. If the stadium was full of season ticket holders then we wouldn't be able to attract new fans as there would be nowhere for them to sit meaning they would go to Wasps or Saints.
Southerntiger

Post by Southerntiger »

ellis9 wrote:It's good actually. If the stadium was full of season ticket holders then we wouldn't be able to attract new fans as there would be nowhere for them to sit meaning they would go to Wasps or Saints.
Would have made more sense to increase prices a little bit each year if the stadium was often full until it was clear that was 5-8k extra demand and then develop stands.

Capital expenditure on the new stand came way too early especially if we are in a period of decline now.

Also I hear that we spend up to salary cap, if we do we must pay some ludicrous salaries to players like Tait, Slater etc.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Southerntiger wrote:Financially solid.

Mmmm. I'm not sure your statements really correspond with the reality of the situation, and I think you may be being unnecessarily alarmist.

I understand that Tigers is financially sound, but surely we would want that? I don't think I'd be supportive of anyone being reckless with the club's money.

My understanding is that we spend up to the salary cap, so other than investing more in player welfare I'm not sure what else could be done? Balancing spend across the club is inevitably one of the management challenges and there will always be different views on how that balancing act should be achieved, but I see nothing to say that it is terribly out of order.

Not sure the club is hugely risk adverse, not sure what risks you would like them to be taking?

And I think the club is interested in trophies. Just because we are not having all the success we want at present doesn't mean that the hunger isn't there.

And Cockers has enjoyed some success, maybe not all the success we would want, and may be not as recently as we would want, but many premiership clubs would be very happy to be where we are now.

I do think the club has some issues, and I am concerned about performances etc, and so I do hope that things change, and maybe Cockers needs to be a component of that change, but I think comparing us to Arsenal is a bit daft really! Sorry!
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

ellis9 wrote:It's good actually. If the stadium was full of season ticket holders then we wouldn't be able to attract new fans as there would be nowhere for them to sit meaning they would go to Wasps or Saints.
Eh :smt017
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Why Eh? What don't you understand?
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Leicester Tigers are not the Arsenal of Rugby...Arsenal are beautiful to watch most of the time :smt003
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Financially solid - TRUE

All the money in the infrastructure and not players - FALSE - we are spending up to the cap, rehab players well, etc.

Risk averse and happy to just balance the books and don't care about trophies - FALSE - why would they have changed their playing style, pitch and bought TV, Peterson and Toomua if they were risk adverse?

Forgot it's an entertainment business and people pay to watch a product not admire the new stand - FALSE - see last point

Cockers is the new Arsene Wenger, failure for years and still clinging on. Probably doing Wenger a disservice here! - ARGUABLY TRUE
BG01

Post by BG01 »

I mean a difference might be that Cockerill won the premiership 10 years more recently than Wenger (who last won in 03/04), that Cockerill has won the premiership twice and been a finalist twice in the past 7 seasons (whereas Wenger hasn't come close), and that the club has undergone major transition in the last 3 years under Cockerill whereas nothing has changed despite winning nothing under Wenger.
Never believe generalisations
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

BG01 wrote:I mean a difference might be that Cockerill won the premiership 10 years more recently than Wenger (who last won in 03/04), that Cockerill has won the premiership twice and been a finalist twice in the past 7 seasons (whereas Wenger hasn't come close), and that the club has undergone major transition in the last 3 years under Cockerill whereas nothing has changed despite winning nothing under Wenger.
Arsenal built a new stadium at a cost of 390 million which was finished in 2006. This curbed any aspirations to bolster the squad. Cockers has no such limitations other than the salary cap. He and the person advising on recruitment appear to be choosing unwisely.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

SIABRITE, would you like to inform us of what superstar players have been available for us to sign whilst keeping in the salary cap and still having enough depth in the squad?