Tigers v Racing 92

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Downsouth

Re: Tigers v Racing 92

Post by Downsouth »

I would like to see Evans at 7 and o'Connor at 8, whether this is the game to try it is another question!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Downsouth wrote:I would like to see Evans at 7 and o'Connor at 8, whether this is the game to try it is another question!
But then you lose McCaffrey, who's been one our most effective players in the past 12 months. A little lightweight in the scrum perhaps but who gives a lot around the field, is another decent line out option and has the engine to go with it.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think that we need to pick our beefiest and sizeable pack, to compete, I would suggest, no room for sentimental selections like Thacker, so start with Ayerza, Bateman, Muli, Kitch (capt), Barrow, McCaffrey, Slater, O'connor, that would win us some ball and hopefully bully the opposition. Bench, Genge, Youngs, Cole,Fitzgerald, Evans.

For the backs we need to cut out the long flat ball pass, this is too easy to intercept, as demonstrated by the number of interception tries we have given away, pull the ball back (a la Cipriani,) only use the flat ball for short passes to a man running through a gap, not over the top etc. Must find some speed!
My backs would be Harrison, Burns, JPP, Toomua, Betham,Thompstone, Vianue, with bench Youngs, Williams, Tait.

This, to some, would be a slightly controversial selection, but we have to win some ball and retain it, then get quick ball to our backs and hopefully tackle, tackle tackle!
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Leicester Tigers
15 Telusa Veainu
14 Adam Thompstone
13 Matthew Tait
12 Matt To'omua
11 JP Pietersen
10 Owen Williams
9 Ben Youngs
1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Tom Youngs (capt)
3 Dan Cole
4 Ed Slater
5 Dom Barrow
6 Michael Fitzgerald
7 Brendon O'Connor
8 Lachlan McCaffrey

16 George McGuigan
17 Logovii Mulipola
18 Greg Bateman
19 Graham Kitchener
20 William Evans
21 Sam Harrison
22 Freddie Burns
23 Peter Betham

Racing 92
15 Brice Dulin
14 Joe Rokocoko
13 Johannes Goosen
12 Henry Chavancy
11 Juan Imhoff
10 Dan Carter
9 Maxime Machenaud (capt)
1 Eddy Ben Arous
2 Camille Chat
3 Ben Tameifuna
4 Leone Nakarawa
5 Manuel Carizza
6 Wenceslas Lauret
7 Yannick Nyanga
8 Chris Masoe
16 Virgile Lacombe
17 Viliamu Afatia
18 Luc Ducalcon
19 Francois van der Merwe
20 Thibault Dubarry
21 James Hart
22 Albert Vulivuli
23 Anthony Tuitavake
Last edited by Jumbo on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Jumbo wrote:Leicester Tigers
15Telusa Veainu
14Adam Thompstone
13Matthew Tait
12Matt To'omua
11JP Pietersen
10Owen Williams
9Ben Youngs
1Marcos Ayerza
2Tom Youngs (capt)
3Dan Cole
4Ed Slater
5Dom Barrow
6Michael Fitzgerald
7Brendon O'Connor
8Lachlan McCaffrey

16George McGuigan
17Logovii Mulipola
18Greg Bateman
19Graham Kitchener
20William Evans
21Sam Harrison
22Freddie Burns
23Peter Betham

Racing 9215Brice Dulin14Joe Rokocoko13Johannes Goosen12Henry Chavancy11Juan Imhoff10Dan Carter9Maxime Machenaud (capt)1Eddy Ben Arous2Camille Chat3Ben Tameifuna4Leone Nakarawa5Manuel Carizza6Wenceslas Lauret7Yannick Nyanga8Chris Masoe16Virgile Lacombe17Viliamu Afatia18Luc Ducalcon19Francois van der Merwe20Thibault Dubarry21James Hart22Albert Vulivuli23Anthony Tuitavake
Needed to have betham in at 13 for me. Otherwise pretty happy with that
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Was beginning to think you quit Jumbo :smt023

Going to be a very interesting game after last week...I think Racing could easily grind us down but will be interesting to see the Tigers Bath game heart we will no doubt have being at home..

This is do or die for Cockers some would have you believe :smt023
Southerntiger

Post by Southerntiger »

Williams ahead of Burns
Tait ahead of Betham
Slater ahead of Kitchener

Baffling selection.

Guess we are playing kick and chase and mauling against the biggest pack in Europe. Beggars belief

What do Tait and Slater have over Cockers?
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

Southerntiger wrote:Williams ahead of Burns
Tait ahead of Betham

Baffling selection.

Guess we are playing kick and chase and mauling against the biggest pack in Europe. Beggars belief

Williams kicks better, particularly to touch, and we will need every bit of territory we can get against Racing.

Kitchener is certainly unlucky, but I suspect Slater over Kitchener is about bulk, particularly given the relatively light back row with limited ball carrying go forward and mauling ability.

Tait's selection is about defensive cohesion - which may be arguable but given Toomua's newness and Tait's tackle count last week I can again understand this. The first three tries which effectively lost us the game last week came through the middle, the ruck and the fringe defence, not out wide.

Not saying I necessarily agree, but there is a logic to all of these selections.
Joe The Tigers Fan
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Jose wrote:
Southerntiger wrote:Williams ahead of Burns
Tait ahead of Betham

Baffling selection.

Williams kicks better, particularly to touch, and we will need every bit of territory we can get against Racing.

Kitchener is certainly unlucky, but I suspect Slater over Kitchener is about bulk, particularly given the relatively light back row with limited ball carrying go forward and mauling ability.

Tait's selection is about defensive cohesion - which may be arguable but given Toomua's newness and Tait's tackle count last week I can again understand this. The first three tries which effectively lost us the game last week came through the middle, the ruck and the fringe defence, not out wide.

Not saying I necessarily agree, but there is a logic to all of these selections.
Good assessment.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Whilst it may lessen our chances a little it feels like a privilege getting to see Dan Carter at Welford Road :smt023
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Iain wrote:Whilst it may lessen our chances a little it feels like a privilege getting to see Dan Carter at Welford Road :smt023
You're not wrong there, matey :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

"Kitchener is certainly unlucky, but I suspect Slater over Kitchener is about bulk, particularly given the relatively light back row with limited ball carrying go forward and mauling ability."

There is only 2lbs difference between the 2 and Kitchener has certainly been or best lineout forward by a long way and is extremely unlucky. I would have left Kitchener in with Slater on the bench.

RC has decided that Tait and Toomoa is the best combination - I disagree - Betham and Toomoa are the best in IMHO.

Williams over Burns is going to be a subject of debate for some time to come so can't really criticise that one as they are close.
Hehehehehehehehe
Southerntiger

Post by Southerntiger »

trendylfj wrote:"Kitchener is certainly unlucky, but I suspect Slater over Kitchener is about bulk, particularly given the relatively light back row with limited ball carrying go forward and mauling ability."

There is only 2lbs difference between the 2 and Kitchener has certainly been or best lineout forward by a long way and is extremely unlucky. I would have left Kitchener in with Slater on the bench.

RC has decided that Tait and Toomoa is the best combination - I disagree - Betham and Toomoa are the best in IMHO.

Williams over Burns is going to be a subject of debate for some time to come so can't really criticise that one as they are close.
I presume Cockers has final say on team selections?

He must do with these selections, how can Mauger be held accountable when the best player of last 18 months Betham is left on bench?!
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I think Cockerill is probably the only person who thinks Tait is a better centre than Betham .
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The penalty for putting Toomua in early is having to put Tait outside him simply to organise things and shepherd him, and also be a third safe hand if TV gets caught upfield. Nothing more than that.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.