8th minute Sunday v Racing song

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: 8th minute Sunday v Racing song

Post by Iain »

Another suggestion - anyone who has an Irish tricolor: it might be nice to bring that and hold it aloft during the silence.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Iain wrote: Might I suggest that the right time to do this would be immediately after the referee's whistle to end the silence before the game (that I assume will happen.) If something will catch on, it will do so then.

And also, keep it simple if you want people to join in - just sing the chorus repetitively until it fades.
...which is what most Munster fans do

(If you want to hear the tune, go on to YouTube and search on "Fields of Athenry" - best rendition imho is by Paddy Reilly, folk singer and oft-times member of the Dubliners.)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I spent many years in Ireland and played rugby all over, north and south.
The craic after the games was amazing and they have a wealth of traditional songs.
Unfortunately I have always thought "The fields" an awful derge and like many an
Irish friend, can't understand why it is sung so often when they have much better
and more cheerful songs.
As for "Flower of Scotland"? What an insular self denegrating derge that is.
Imagine having your national anthem geared to "send him homeward to think again"!
"Scotland the brave" is much more suitable.

However, I do applaud the sentiment of this post and like many others, had a great
respect for Foley. So yes, I will be singing the derge. RIP big man.
A life long Tiger
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Smudge wrote:I spent many years in Ireland and played rugby all over, north and south.
The craic after the games was amazing and they have a wealth of traditional songs.
Unfortunately I have always thought "The fields" an awful derge and like many an
Irish friend, can't understand why it is sung so often when they have much better
and more cheerful songs.
As for "Flower of Scotland"? What an insular self denegrating derge that is.
Imagine having your national anthem geared to "send him homeward to think again"!
"Scotland the brave" is much more suitable.

However, I do applaud the sentiment of this post and like many others, had a great
respect for Foley. So yes, I will be singing the derge. RIP big man.
Scotland the Brave is a terrible, cliched, anachronistic piece of shortbread tinnery.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

I wholeheartedly applaud this initiative but am doubtful whether we can muster enough support. I have printed the words off and will join in but I have a quiet voice and could do with 10,000 others to have the desired effect. In the circumstances, the song would be quite emotional.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Has it been decided - 8th minute (after his position) or after the minute silence?
Hehehehehehehehe
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Re Scotland . I prefer "tunes of glory" to the tune of the "black bear"
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

trendylfj wrote:Has it been decided - 8th minute (after his position) or after the minute silence?
After minutes silence probably makes more sense but I prefer the 8th minute :smt023 if that helps :smt003
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Jack Flash Jonny that has been one of your best posts. I met Tony Foley on two occasions and he proved to be a real Irish gentleman and singing that song will be a fitting tribute to him. I'll have to brush up on the words though although the tune is unforgettable.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

We should do it in the final throws of the minutes silence imo (to be fair it is a much more poignant tribute than a minutes silence anyway)...Or on the 8th minute as after a minutes silence there is always a lot of noise?

Do you think people would be upset if we started halfway through the minutes silence?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Erm...yes.... :smt017
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Iain wrote:Erm...yes.... :smt017

The point being that is would be a lot more audible then and is a lot better tribute than a minutes silence imo..granted I won't be doing it though
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

A minutes silence is respectful and gives you a minute to reminisce. It is the perfect thing to do.

I think it's poor to even consider interrupting it to sing a song. I have no problem in the song being sung but not during a minutes silence!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

ellis9 wrote:A minutes silence is respectful and gives you a minute to reminisce. It is the perfect thing to do.

I think it's poor to even consider interrupting it to sing a song. I have no problem in the song being sung but not during a minutes silence!
Thanks for your great input as always :smt023
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Why make a sarcastic remark? You put your opinion forward and so did I. That's what discussion is about.