8th minute Sunday v Racing song

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: 8th minute Sunday v Racing song

Post by Iain »

Yes I rather assumed that would be misconstrued.

We are not the only club who have met Munster on a number of occasions. We are not the only club to have formed friendships with Munster fans. Why is it that the already ample number of tributes isn't enough for us to pay tribute with? Are we going to be disappointed if other clubs ONLY have a minute's silence for him?
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

This forum really is a true bastion of the moron isn't it......

I mean come on...how do you type such inane drivel Iain
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I happen to agree with Iain and I think he spoke sensitively and with integrity.

Whenever passions run high, 'robust debate' is usually (and rightly) the order of the day. Occasionally (and unfortunately), such debate descends into personal insult as posters try to invalidate others' opinions as well as promoting their own.

This time, for this topic.....let's not do that.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Yes this is a great idea...lets give up before we even start because it probably won't work :smt023 even if 5 people sung it that would suffice

Sometimes I find being a Tigers fan embarrassing (and this is not even on the pitch for once :smt012 )...to have a ground full of so called rugby fans who don't know the chorus to fields of athenry is one such time..
I asked my 15 year old nephew if he knew the words and he doesn't. I told him JackFlashJonny thinks that he is an embarrassment and obviously cannot be a 'so called rugby fan'. He has obviously decided to go and watch netball from now on instead.

What a stupid remark to make. There are millions of 'so called rugby fans' around the world who wouldn't even know what song Munster sing. This does not mean they are not rugby fans.

Try to remember this is about Anthony Foley, not you! :smt018
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I am actually genuinely worried about people on this forum......seriously!

To criticise people because a lot of us don't know the words to a song that has no significance to us is very poor. I shall show my respect to Foley with the minutes silence and if there are people who want to sing the song then that is fine but do not criticise me or others for not knowing the words.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I have been reading this thread with interest and have refrained from posting until now.
This whole thing has shades of the over-reaction of the Diana episode (many other words occur). Can people not see that it looks over the top. It appears that some posters were having lunch with the chap only the other day, were personal friends, were going for Christmas...

A man, whom we knew through his appearances and TV has died; this is sad, we should respect him. Let us not debase the process by over indulgence in faux grief
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I do not know the words to the song. The death of Anthony Foley is a tragedy and the rugby community is paying him their respects this weekend in some way.
Tigers have opted to observe a minutes silence before the game. Foley was a Munster and Irish player and they are hurting more than others as he was part of their family.

Let's just pay our respects with the silence and for those that want to start the song, it would be good and a nice show. However, each individuall can choose how they want to show it.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

Northenlad wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote:Yes this is a great idea...lets give up before we even start because it probably won't work :smt023 even if 5 people sung it that would suffice

Sometimes I find being a Tigers fan embarrassing (and this is not even on the pitch for once :smt012 )...to have a ground full of so called rugby fans who don't know the chorus to fields of athenry is one such time..
I asked my 15 year old nephew if he knew the words and he doesn't. I told him JackFlashJonny thinks that he is an embarrassment and obviously cannot be a 'so called rugby fan'. He has obviously decided to go and watch netball from now on instead.

What a stupid remark to make. There are millions of 'so called rugby fans' around the world who wouldn't even know what song Munster sing. This does not mean they are not rugby fans.

Try to remember this is about Anthony Foley, not you! :smt018
Hear hear. It is all a bit like Diana in the way that anyone who even remotely disagrees or doesn't know the words to a terrible song (imo) is either a rubbish fan or showing disrespect for the dead. I happen to think a minute's silence for the great man is enough to show him how much we as rugby supporters care.
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

Johnnyg wrote:I happen to think a minute's silence for the great man is enough to show him how much we as rugby supporters care.
Agreed. It's a shame some there yesterday were incapable of maintaining the silence and tried to start applauding.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Unfortunately BeeJ, it is a modern phenomenon that allows no opportunity for reflection. Sad.
Valhalla I am coming!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Applause is fine if it's what the family and/or club have asked for. It wasnt so the attempted applause impacted negatively for me too. I hope those who tried it come to understand this pdq.

The scenes at Thommond Park demonstrated amply where the greatest emotional needs and expression were - and very moving it was too to witness from afar.
Red Boots

Post by Red Boots »

The tribute was paid, the game was great and we saw many giants of world rugby on the field and in the stand, but my lasting memory will be the sight of JP and Logo with their arms around the opposition at the end enjoying their own craic.
All that is left is to ask fogba what sins are available only in Broughton Astley.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Red Boots wrote:but my lasting memory will be the sight of JP and Logo with their arms around the opposition at the end enjoying their own craic.
...then seeing Logo pass his kids over the barrier to an ex Tigers prop! Guess who was back??? #legend
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:
Red Boots wrote:but my lasting memory will be the sight of JP and Logo with their arms around the opposition at the end enjoying their own craic.
...then seeing Logo pass his kids over the barrier to an ex Tigers prop! Guess who was back??? #legend

Not Castro?.........saw him drop Logo off before the game. Or Julian White?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

T'was Boris surely - always a legend in our house and certainly there yesterday.