8th minute Sunday v Racing song

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 8th minute Sunday v Racing song

Post by JackFlashJonny »

So ERCC have asked for either a minutes silence or applause before each match this weekend..I think silence followed by Fields of athenry would be best..

Then if it goes well we could do it again in the 8th minute if anyone fancied :smt023

Unfortunately with us being last to play I imagine this will probably have happened a few times before we play but will still be nice gesture :smt003
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I have to say that I totally agree with Gary Sherrard's reponse to my email that it is better that anything extra come from the supporters. This was his reply : Jack

Thank you for your email and your support of the Leicester Tigers.

There has been great support within rugby for Anthony Foley’s family and the Munster club since last weekend, which we hope will provide some comfort to those closest to him, as we experienced ourselves following the news of Seru Rabeni’s death earlier this year when tributes were paid by friends across the rugby world.

Tigers have enjoyed close links with Munster Rugby over many years and players, officials and supporters will come together with our visitors Racing 92 to pay an official club tribute in the form of a Minute’s Silence in Anthony’s memory ahead of kick-off on Sunday.

It is an indication of the strength of the rugby family that there are plans among supporters to organise further tributes around fixtures this weekend and we are sure they will be very well supported and received. After discussing this with the Supporters Forum, it is the belief that these are received best when driven by the supporters themselves in a fashion of their choosing.

Gary Sherrard
Leicester Tigers

Can I suggest that it is after the minutes silence to start with and then see what happens after that at the 8th minute. That is what I am going to do and I hope that the rest will support that.
Hehehehehehehehe
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

I am a little disappointed with Gary Sherrard's response as I think the club could arrange for a singer (preferably Irish) to lead off and the crowd would join in. Without that, I suspect the effort will fall flat, which would be a shame given our close affinity with Munster.
fogba
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by fogba »

As a Munster fan may I thank you all for your comments and for your effort in organising this tribute to Axel.
I fear however that singing Fields of Athenry will fall flat as not that many people look at this forum nor know the words.
When the applause for Seru Rabini happened on the 13th minute, nobody around me knew what was happening at first and it took a short while to figure it out as his photo was on the big screen. Seru was a Tiger and deserved the recognition from the club.
The respect for Axel will be shown with a minutes silence, which I'm sure will be be very much appreciated by all in Munster and certainly by me.

What a great sport rugby is, world wide.

Thank you all again.
Irish by birth, Munster by the grace of God, now living in Leicester for my sins.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Whilst I commend those who have suggested singing The Fields of Athenry after the silence I do have reservations about the result. Tigers are not a singing club, heaven knows many have tried to get a club song going over the years. You either all, or most, sing or not at all. I fear a an embarrassing dirge lasting only a few seconds being sung by a very small minority of the 20,000 or so fans in the ground. For a player of Foley's standing a tribute has to be high quality and whilst Tigers fans do many things well sadly singing, especially a song most don't know well enough to even attempt, is not one of them. My big fear is that the resulting attempt will not be a fitting tribute to the man but more an embarrassment to the club and it's fans.

Again, I commend the thought but perhaps if we all sign the on-line book of condolence and add that we are from Leicester it will be a more positive action and we can all add a personal comment. This is about all we can really do in an attempt to show our feelings and show his family how much the larger rugby family share their grief.

https://www.limerick.ie/council/anthony ... condolence
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

http://rugbylad.com/pic-the-scarlets-tr ... eer-class/

Another way that is being used to remember Him. The power of social media.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tigerbeat wrote:http://rugbylad.com/pic-the-scarlets-tr ... eer-class/

Another way that is being used to remember Him. The power of social media.
Nice touch :smt045
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

"Whilst I commend those who have suggested singing The Fields of Athenry after the silence I do have reservations about the result. Tigers are not a singing club, heaven knows many have tried to get a club song going over the years. You either all, or most, sing or not at all. I fear a an embarrassing dirge lasting only a few seconds being sung by a very small minority of the 20,000 or so fans in the ground. For a player of Foley's standing a tribute has to be high quality and whilst Tigers fans do many things well sadly singing, especially a song most don't know well enough to even attempt, is not one of them. My big fear is that the resulting attempt will not be a fitting tribute to the man but more an embarrassment to the club and it's fans."

GS, I agree wholeheartedly. I couldn't have put it better myself.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

+ 1 GS I agree with all you have said. I have added my condolences to the online book to Axel.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Yes this is a great idea...lets give up before we even start because it probably won't work :smt023 even if 5 people sung it that would suffice

Sometimes I find being a Tigers fan embarrassing (and this is not even on the pitch for once :smt012 )...to have a ground full of so called rugby fans who don't know the chorus to fields of athenry is one such time..
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Yes this is a great idea...lets give up before we even start because it probably won't work :smt023 even if 5 people sung it that would suffice

Sometimes I find being a Tigers fan embarrassing (and this is not even on the pitch for once :smt012 )...to have a ground full of so called rugby fans who don't know the chorus to fields of athenry is one such time..

+1.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I guess we'll find out on Sunday.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Chill - a minutes silence plus other stuff will suffice for most. Remember that many who turn up on Sunday will NOT know what the hell is going on. Die-hard fans tend to forget that.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

At risk of what I say being misconstrued I do worry that this is beginning to feel like a bit of a competition to show who can grieve the hardest.

A silence or minute's applause is already a lovely gesture and will be very poignant and a fitting tribute. It will also be a lovely touch if a few people bring Tricolores to hold up at that time, and if some people break into song at the end of it that too will be nice. The eighth minute thing strikes me as a difficult thing to achieve, on top of what will already have been a more than fitting tribute to Foley.

Somehow there's a clamour for us to do what everyone else is doing +1, but I worry that it isn't our place to be putting pressure on all clubs and all supporters to up the ante.

Please do not take this as any disrespect for Foley, his memory, or the efforts any of us are making to mark his tragic passing, but lets just keep a bit of perspective and not try to take ownership of another club's mourning.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Iain wrote:At risk of what I say being misconstrued I do worry that this is beginning to feel like a bit of a competition to show who can grieve the hardest.

A silence or minute's applause is already a lovely gesture and will be very poignant and a fitting tribute. It will also be a lovely touch if a few people bring Tricolores to hold up at that time, and if some people break into song at the end of it that too will be nice. The eighth minute thing strikes me as a difficult thing to achieve, on top of what will already have been a more than fitting tribute to Foley.

Somehow there's a clamour for us to do what everyone else is doing +1, but I worry that it isn't our place to be putting pressure on all clubs and all supporters to up the ante.

Please do not take this as any disrespect for Foley, his memory, or the efforts any of us are making to mark his tragic passing, but lets just keep a bit of perspective and not try to take ownership of another club's mourning.
Trying take ownership of another clubs mourning.....nice one Iain what a ridiculous comment

We are talking about singing a song to show our affinity with all of friends of Munster..its not rocket science and to suggest there is any clamour from anyone to up any ante is very callous of you..to say I am disappointing with how this has all gone is an understatement