Have we ever sold out the 'new' ground

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Have we ever sold out the 'new' ground

Post by LE18 »

A 5-30 Sunday KO will not help this week, French won't want to travel, more and more games shown on TV and other media, so expect 22000?
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Just over 19,000 v Racing last night... ouch!
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Nowhere near 19,000 there last night - lots of ST holders missing - i don't think I've seen Welford Road so empty for a top European game . I know it was a 5.30 k.o , on a Sunday and on TV but that was a really poor turn out to see one of the most attractive fixtures in the schedule . Until we get better results on a consistent basis there won't be an improvement in crowd numbers .
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

On TV, last day of half term in Leicester, clashes with Poldark, Strictly results etc. Not really a surprise. The schedule for the European games is spread over three days and staggered for TV purposes, so it's a bit of a lottery!
However, from the games on TV over the last two rounds, there appears to have been many empty seats at all grounds, apart from Thomond Park of course, but that is for exceptional reasons. The only consolation is that the TV money does fill the gap financially, what it doesn't do is fill the noise and create the atmosphere. The trouble is the larger the capacity, the more noticeable.

On Shedweb, someone there has a spreadsheet on attendances for the Aviva (link below), it is noticeable that for "well supported" clubs such as Exeter, sell outs are not happening. According to these figures there have been only 4 sell outs across the whole league!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1760893864

On the top of the tab there is a link for the different competitions including Europe, there hasn't been a single sell out for anyone. For example only 3300ish turned up to see Newcastle win.

Another factor that is directly relevant to Tigers is the increase in attendance at the King Power since last year. There is only so much budget to go around, some of this could have relocated across there. This may migrate back if City performances slip.

In summary, whilst we look at this as a local issue, the more disturbing trend across the sport is a downward one. Uplift in performance will certainly help though!! Yesterday I hope is a start and not another false dawn!
Last edited by grobyman on Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Interesting figures - thanks!
If my maths is right - big 'if' - then we account for 28% of the total crowd on average. Not bad! :smt041
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

great sheet.

Our average is 83% and we're still 10k+ ahead of every other team for the season to date.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

watsonjm wrote:great sheet.

Our average is 83% and we're still 10k+ ahead of every other team for the season to date.
Yes but - we're 3 standard deviations above the norm and studies show that 98% of all statistics are made up with the other 4% being the result of mathematical errors! :smt017
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

5.30 on a Sunday is crazy for a game of rugby IMO. I rarely do Sunday games full stop but late ones - no chance.

What amazed me was that Tigers made this an A* game so the ticket prices were very expensive, they obviously don't understand the dynamics of supply and demand!

But as has already been said, the real issue is the inconsistency of performance, more like yesterday and the crowds will start to increase.
Soggypitch
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Don't think the Leicester marathon being on the same day helped the attendance or the kick-off time.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Cagey Tiger wrote:Don't think the Leicester marathon being on the same day helped the attendance or the kick-off time.
Late KO yes I agree. not sure the marathon made any difference.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

watsonjm wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:Don't think the Leicester marathon being on the same day helped the attendance or the kick-off time.
Not sure it would make a huge difference, but I would be surprised if I'm the only Tiger's supporter who also goes running and enters events like this, so divided loyalties. Plus getting to the match if you lived the wrong side of the city.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Already mentioned above but don't underestimate the impact of schools half term.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
watsonjm wrote:
Not sure it would make a huge difference, but I would be surprised if I'm the only Tiger's supporter who also goes running and enters events like this, so divided loyalties. Plus getting to the match if you lived the wrong side of the city.
Tbh I hadn't thought of Tigers fans taking part. Not entirely sure why that hadn't crossed my mind... :smt017

Still plenty of time for a quick shower and slow walk to the ground
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

You only have to look back at the last couple of season to see that Sat 15:00 kick-offs consistently bring in between 2,00 and 3,500 more than Sundays. Friday evenings, being rarer are harder to judge but still seem to be less popular than the Saturday ones.

When relative minnows like Worcester on a Saturday can bring in more than traditional rivals Bath or star studded Racing on a Sunday you know there are problems.

It also seems that late afternoon kick-offs are much more unpopular as well.

The problem is also aggravated by the relative lack of public transport on Sundays.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."