Half Backs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SirGordonRamsey

Half Backs

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

Burns v William, I honestly believe the rivaly between these two is substantialy under-rated.

I am unaware of any injuries Freddie Burns currently has, apart from a knock to his head a few weeks ago. Taking from this that Williams is probably being picked on form.
He had a great game against Bath when Freddie Burn was pulled out 'feeling unwell', that said everyone was fired up for that game and the forwards really lead and gave him that platform. I think either of the 10's would have looked good in that situation. Freddie burns later came on and started bossing bath into their own 5.

Williams is a great player and a solid contender for the tigers 10 jersey. But after tonights performance from all players I want to compare:

Owen williams + Ben youngs

And

Freddie Burns + Sam Harrison

Anything?
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Half Backs

Post by MrPartridge »

Good post. I'm scratching my head because I don't know our best 9/10 partnership and I don't think the coaches do either!

After last night I was wondering what radical options we have? On paper we have 4 TENS: Williams, Burns, Harrison and Toomua. In a straight choice between Fred and Owen I think the coaches prefer Owen. More radical option maybe to play Toomua at 10 and Fred at 15 as I understand he has played their before. Couldn't be worse than last night!

Also convinced Sam doesn't get the chances he deserves....
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Harrison, to me, is a more direct player and shows more urgency. YBY has a sniping run but runs at times like a headless chicken.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I have said it before that Harrison is a better choice at 9. With the speed of defences these days the 10's need quick ball in order to give then time to dictate the play and assess options. Ben does not give us that.
Hehehehehehehehe
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Given the personnel in our back line and back row, the starting scrum half has to be Sam Harrison. His does the basics (ie gets to the ruck and passes the ball) quicker and better than Youngs.

He might not be as 'flashy' but when you've got the back line we've got, I think speed of ball is more effective than making defences second guess themselves around the breakdown.

Outside Harrison, and inside Toomua, I'm not sure the difference between Williams and Burns will really be that great. That said, Burns is probably more effective as an impact player.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Why has Jono Kito not appeared in any of the options whenever I have seen him play he has shown good speed at the breakdown plus good distribution, Surely thats got to be better than constant box kicks into the hands of the opposition to run back at you.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Sam Harrison (fast quick ball) and Owen Williams (less kicking aimlessly)
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Southerntiger

Post by Southerntiger »

Is this thread a joke? Youngs has 60 caps for England and has been amazing for them for more than 12 months solidly. Best player against Wales in World Cup, would have won if he wasn't taken off after 52 mins.

And you are comparing Sam Harrison, who would be fourth choice at sarries and third choice at Wasps, with Ben youngs.

Ben Youngs is like George best playing international football, looks like a goon as no-one has vision to run off him. Poor guy has been playing with journeymen since Flood
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Southerntiger wrote:Is this thread a joke? Youngs has 60 caps for England and has been amazing for them for more than 12 months solidly. Best player against Wales in World Cup, would have won if he wasn't taken off after 52 mins.

And you are comparing Sam Harrison, who would be fourth choice at sarries and third choice at Wasps, with Ben youngs.

Ben Youngs is like George best playing international football, looks like a goon as no-one has vision to run off him. Poor guy has been playing with journeymen since Flood
He plays for England, but the last two seasons has been way off the pace for the Tigers, do you actually watch the games live or just when we are on TV. Youngs may have lots of caps but at the moment is woefully short of what we need.....fast quick ball from the base.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
SirGordonRamsey

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

SouthernTiger making things entertaining.

If you had been watching games you'll see that Ben Youngs has been off pace for a while whilst Sam harrision has for a few seasons now been the much faster with delivery and really picks the pace up of the game.

When I stated:

And

Freddie Burns + Sam Harrison.

I honestly belive if you want to play this fast paced ('southern hemishpere :smt019 ) style of rugby having Burns and Harrison togther will speed the ball up so much, and Toomua will thrive off burns potentially 'pointless' kick, loves a chip and chase.
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
Southerntiger

Post by Southerntiger »

SirGordonRamsey wrote:SouthernTiger making things entertaining.

If you had been watching games you'll see that Ben Youngs has been off pace for a while whilst Sam harrision has for a few seasons now been the much faster with delivery and really picks the pace up of the game.

When I stated:

And

I honestly belive if you want to play this fast paced ('southern hemishpere :smt019 ) style of rugby having Burns and Harrison togther will speed the ball up so much, and Toomua will thrive off burns potentially 'pointless' kick, loves a chip and chase.

Burns and Williams aren't fit to polish Youngs boots. Let's hope Ford rumours are true
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Southerntiger wrote:

When I stated:

And

Burns and Williams aren't fit to polish Youngs boots. Let's hope Ford rumours are true
You make me giggle :smt030 :smt030 :
Wake up and smell the coffee
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Southerntiger wrote:

When I stated:

And

I have not agreed with a lot by "Southern Tiger" since his sudden appearance on the forum but have to agree with his assessment of YBY. Whilst often quick ball is great, the fact that it is not always forthcoming from Ben can slow the opposition's defensive line or he can create gaps. I also agree that Tigers have never really replaced Toby with anyone as creative.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Very true Hinckley Bob....since Flood left both Burns and Williams have had lots of time off injured.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

No idea what the best half back combo is but the best 10 I have seen in a Leicester shirt this season is Harrison.