Mike Williams

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: Mike Williams

Post by DickyP »

Also confirmed tonight by Richard Cockerill on EMT.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

RagingBull wrote:
Bundy wrote:I really hope not but I do wonder if his playing career is at risk if this is the third time he has broken the same arm?? :smt010
?
I mean there must be some risk of long term damage if you break the same bone 3 times in such a short space of time??
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Didn't he have the plate removed early as it was irritating?
I broke my arm in a schools match and wasn't allowed back for 20 weeks. 12 weeks may be heal time but the break point is still fragile.
Can we claim £400K for a temp replacement?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Why are our best players injury prone?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Spicer wrote:Why are our best players injury prone?
They're not. What makes you think they are?

The best players play in the toughest games, are prepared to put their bodies on the line more, are the one the coaches turn to in times of stress, are often training and playing at international level. They are trained hard and play hard. That is why the best players get injured. Not because they are prone to it. Are there any top modern rugby players who has had an injury free career. Pretty rare I would have thought.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The harder you play the more bashes you get.

He may have been just unlucky and took blows that broke the same arm in the same place 3 times. After all it is the job of the back rower to put his arms in and grab the ball in the path of 100Kg+ opponents charging in to drive you off the ball.

I fear this injury might mean him being out rather longer than normal for a simple fracture.
Sure the medical opinion was that it had healed adequately to play again, however re-fracturing it twice suggests that whilst the Xrays/scans may have suggested it was fully healed the real life strength perhaps wasn't back to normal. After all he missed the end of last season so has had months to heal after the previous break so blaming Tiger's for rushing him back would be misplaced.

It's a huge shame for him as he is clearly a mighty player and even worse might have cost him his England chance. Let's hope it's not career threatening.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

mol2 wrote:The harder you play the more bashes you get.

He may have been just unlucky and took blows that broke the same arm in the same place 3 times. After all it is the job of the back rower to put his arms in and grab the ball in the path of 100Kg+ opponents charging in to drive you off the ball.

I fear this injury might mean him being out rather longer than normal for a simple fracture.
Sure the medical opinion was that it had healed adequately to play again, however re-fracturing it twice suggests that whilst the Xrays/scans may have suggested it was fully healed the real life strength perhaps wasn't back to normal. After all he missed the end of last season so has had months to heal after the previous break so blaming Tiger's for rushing him back would be misplaced.

It's a huge shame for him as he is clearly a mighty player and even worse might have cost him his England chance. Let's hope it's not career threatening.
Agreed and amen to that last sentence.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Spicer wrote:Why are our best players injury prone?
A consequence of playing a collision sport:
rugby is a game you play between injuries
(I want to attribute that to Martin Johnson, but I can't find the reference!).
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

The amazing thing is Mike survived the England training camp from hell, judo etc....but came a cropper in the Tigers warm up!!

So that really was unlucky.
Soggypitch
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Soggypitch wrote:The amazing thing is Mike survived the England training camp from hell, judo etc....but came a cropper in the Tigers warm up!!

:smt003 :smt001 :smt023
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Soggypitch wrote:The amazing thing is Mike survived the England training camp from hell, judo etc....but came a cropper in the Tigers warm up!!

An England training camp the diminutive Mike Brown described as 'Spot On'.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote:

He's had a few concussions that lad.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not sure a player is the best qualified to comment on what is or isn't relevant physical preparation.
Is he a coach? Is he a physical conditioning coach or physiologist?
No one knackering session doesn't make someone fitter.

Assess and liaise with the clubs for individual skills and conditioning is what the national set up should be doing. Not meddling when they have brief contact with the players. We had that with Flood's kicking. Sound enough until the England kicking coach tinkered, and then took ages to get back to his previous level. If England need to work on a specific skill and the club lacks a dedicated kicking coach for example then they have to be prepared to send the coach up day in, day out until they have done the job or got to the point that it can be handed back to the club coaches.

In the current set up for the England team they should be dealing with putting the team and plays together.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

ourla wrote:
Roly wrote:

He's had a few concussions that lad.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Yes Mike Brown was dropped at birth! :smt002