Tigers v Glasgow

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Glasgow

Post by chewbacca »

The coaching team choose who get contracts. The coating team determines how the team plays making best use of the skills the players possess. They also provide the leadership and morale of the side. Players have to believe. Believe in what they are being asked to do, believe in who is asking them to do it. I don't see the belief.
I'm not cynical just experienced
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

chewbacca wrote:The coaching team choose who get contracts. The coating team determines how the team plays making best use of the skills the players possess. They also provide the leadership and morale of the side. Players have to believe. Believe in what they are being asked to do, believe in who is asking them to do it. I don't see the belief.
For me it is simple, they are being given a playbook either beyond their capacity OR full of holes. Having been a vocal critic of MOC (who was subsequently found out)I see AM as no better, and IMO we have gone too far down the road to easily put things right. I don't do the reflex 'Cockers out' simply because he carries the can as DOR with the Board and SC, and those who do so provide no alternative to their whingefest.
The Board may be facing a terrible choice at a very difficult point in the season, but I think they will let this season pan out and then make wholesale changes if it continues to be a dud - probably already some members have contingency plans in their heads.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I think you are RC. (Or his wife)

As a former player said to me only yesterday, Cockerill has been out of his depth
for years.

Just how bad does it have to be? Dwyer and Deano were sacked for less and both
were greater coaches than him.

Time for the Peters to grow a pair.

Richard, in the the words of Oliver Cromwell "In the name of God, go!"
A life long Tiger
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I completely agree Smudge. RC has been over promoted by far and his early successes were by and large the result of earlier recruitment work by others.
Prospects for this Season look poor - we have yet to play Sarries , Saints , Exeter and Quins - hard fixtures to come .

The Board should have been planning for this?
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

In amongst everything else, I was disappointed to see Ben Youngs miming the yellow card to the ref in an effort to get Wilson the yellow card. Leave that to the wendyballers.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

baz1664 wrote:MJ is a legend and deserves his time at the Tigers and for me the time is now!!
Really? - he's had negligible coaching experience and that he had was hardly a success.

Much the same could have been said about Mauger - his side were hardly flying in NZ.

But any one who is ex-Tigers makes a great coach?
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

chewbacca wrote:The coaching team choose who get contracts.
It's not just the coaching team that deal with contracts. Simon Cohen has a large part to play and values the financial side over what is good for the playing side and frankly it stinks. I know for a fact that Laurence Pearce was told by the club that a contract wasn't available and when he signed for Sale, Tigers came back and said 'why have you done that, because we were going to renew your contract'. Basically they were going to string him along to the last minute and then hope to get him at a bargain price.

SC's arrogance has spread to the rest of the coaching side and so if there is to be a change in coaching, he has to go too.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

As a matter of interest, why was Marcos not in the 23? And why was Betham not starting at 13? The former is still a great forward and the latter has probably been our outstanding player all season. Not sayin we would won but they just seem odd decisions to me
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Cockers post match interview to Radio was like Deja Vu, its my fault we lossed, we played poorly we were inaccurate, there are problems with our defence. We have a nine day turnround, we have a lot to work on but we will go away and work hard to put it right for Sunday. Well sadly I fear just like the other games where we have gone AWOL it will not be enough. Sincerely hope I am wrong. but as said on Radio Leicester, Tigers still lack a go forward ball carrying player like Billy Vunipola who can get us over the gain line, instead we have ball carriers but ours struggle to get to the gain line but are repeatedly and easily turnovered there.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Away from home in Europe is always going to be difficult but Leicester didn't cope with the pressure very well when it came in my view.
I thought at 22-13 Leicester were still in it but old scrum failings came back during a key period in the match and Leicester couldn't hold out with 14 men and were chasing the game from then on.
No idea why they acquired George McGuigan to then go and make the same mistake again.
I suspect someone thought that they could get away with it with a fresh Mulipola carrying Thacker at scrum time after the demolition job that Mulipola did late on in the A League match against a young tired out Wasps pack in which case they were completely wrong which shows just how limited they are in the wider knowledge of the game and the opposition.
Glasgow's 20 year old tight head prop showed that Genge is not as good as some might think he is.
I'd like to see more of Will Evans as I don't think Leicester did enough to upset Glasgow's phase play at times but especially during the ten minute period where Glasgow scored three tries in the first half.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Welcome BFG!

Excellent analysis, completely agree, but same problems have plagued us for too long.
Valhalla I am coming!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Mol2 Wrote:-
Post Re: Tigers v Glasgow

baz1664 wrote:
MJ is a legend and deserves his time at the Tigers and for me the time is now!!

Really? - he's had negligible coaching experience and that he had was hardly a success.

Much the same could have been said about Mauger - his side were hardly flying in NZ.

But any one who is ex-Tigers makes a great coach?
Johnno would be the first to say that he was made England coach too soon but he did have a couple of years coaching at international level so he is hardly without experience now.
Most of all he was a great Tigers forward, pack leader and Captain and everything you
would want in a Tiger. Players would die for him.
RC had only a little experience when he took over at Tigers and we stuck with him, despite the obvious decline.
Surely, there is no one better qualified from the Tigers book of coaches than Johnno? No one who typifies the Tiger's spirit more.
Sir Clive, although doing very well in the England job was also an abject failure in charge of the British Lions.
He had Johnno in his England team but not in his Lions.

It has been clear to me, although not others, for ages, that Cockers is out of his depth.
He might do alright in charge of a lower league club.Surely Johnno could do so much better as our club coach?
As I understand it, he is available too.
A life long Tiger
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I regret to say I've not cheered up any since last night and am now undergoing ritual humiliation in the "One Eyed Turk". Hard to bear as Albert the Osprey appears to have developed an accent closer to Rab C Nesbitt than Max Boyce.

So what of it? As a side we are unbalanced. Two world class props I feel are on the decline and the replacements not up to scratch, The stand in hooker chosen last night is not as big as his heart, which counts for a lot, but not in European Rugby. Second row is where we have riches, a shame that some of the best have to double up as 6s because of Injury. We have a two good 7s,one who has to play at 8 because we got rid of our natural ball carriers who should play there.

Scrum half? Ok going forwards, Fly half? OK. Centres are wings, full backs and fly halves playing out of position and we have riches in the back three. Manu, I fear will never be back to what he was.

Worst of all there is no leadership on the pitch. Brains could not have been more fried last night than if they were locally sourced Mars bars.

Coaching, the DOR is a damn fine forwards coach and the coach seems to want to play pass the hand bag.

We need:-

A DOR in the Woodward mould. Calm, do the right thing under pressure philosophy and less of the headless chuck.......in both senses of the word.

An Anthony Allan figure in midfield, an organiser and a general.

A balanced back row. Something along the lines of Back, Wells, Richards. Complimentary skills and guile.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Big Dai wrote:I regret to say I've not cheered up any since last night and am now undergoing ritual humiliation in the "One Eyed Turk". Hard to bear as Albert the Osprey appears to have developed an accent closer to Rab C Nesbitt than Max Boyce.

So what of it? As a side we are unbalanced. Two world class props I feel are on the decline and the replacements not up to scratch, The stand in hooker chosen last night is not as big as his heart, which counts for a lot, but not in European Rugby. Second row is where we have riches, a shame that some of the best have to double up as 6s because of Injury. We have a two good 7s,one who has to play at 8 because we got rid of our natural ball carriers who should play there.

Scrum half? Ok going forwards, Fly half? OK. Centres are wings, full backs and fly halves playing out of position and we have riches in the back three. Manu, I fear will never be back to what he was.

Worst of all there is no leadership on the pitch. Brains could not have been more fried last night than if they were locally sourced Mars bars.

Coaching, the DOR is a damn fine forwards coach and the coach seems to want to play pass the hand bag.

We need:-

A DOR in the Woodward mould. Calm, do the right thing under pressure philosophy and less of the headless chuck.......in both senses of the word.

An Anthony Allan figure in midfield, an organiser and a general.

A balanced back row. Something along the lines of Back, Wells, Richards. Complimentary skills and guile.
Apart from that everything's fine then.

PS: Serves you right for living in Wales.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

The wheel keeps on turning and nothing changes.