Breaking news: Tigers and Hansen part company.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

covrich

Re: Do we have a defence coach?

Post by covrich »

I hope Toomua will have a positive impact but we also cannot rest our hopes on him.. He is returning from injury and like we often see playing after a long season..

The Centers is an issue of its own IMO. With Manu out we seem to lack a contingency plan to play other centers.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Iain wrote:I don't think any of us would argue there isn't a problem with the defence. I HOPE Toomua's influence and a more settled midfield will help with this, but I suspect it isn't that simple. But we can't keep shipping thirty plus points a game regularly - that is poor.
It is poor - and, quite naturally we hark back to the days when our defence was marshalled by Anthony Allen and Geordan Murphy. With those two synchronised with each other, we coped with changes in personnel in the backs seemingly effortlessly! Will Toomua be equally good at directing the defence - there's every reason to expect just that. Do we have a 15 who can 'do a Geordan' with the back 3 and be on the same wavelength as Toomua? Hmmm...not so sure.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

voice of the crumbie wrote: One thing in the commentary was interesting regarding the theme of this post. I can't remember whether it was Bleddyn or Steve who made it but whoever it was made the point that Tigers are using a different defensive formation for different aspects of the game. Reading between the lines there was an implication that at times the players confuse the 2 systems hence mistakes like having no "guard" at the breakdown etc. Can anyone shed any light on this? It might explain some of what we can describe as "system errors" as opposed to individual errors like getting turned over, throwing speculative passes which are picked off by the opposition etc.
Well....yes, obviously. A pro team will have different defence policies (why are they called polices? I have no idea) for different circumstances. So if you have numbers you might blitz, short of numbers you might drift. From my limited understanding, Tigers are mainly implementing an arrowhead defence, which is a hybrid of the two. Incidentally, if you look at the first 2 minutes of the full match on the Aviva Premiership TV site, you will see Tigers defence working perfectly, causing Sale to box kick from behind the gain line and then make an error by kicking out on the full. I don't believe the system is relevant to failing to guard the ruck - it's either an error or a bad call. Could be the forwards thought the back 3 would cover a break, but they were out of position.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Most teams have a settled defensive unit. They understand each other, move as a unit and play week in week out in the same unit, (barring injury)Look at the team sheets and you know exactly what your getting.

I get the feeling we are still trying to find the right mix. But as others have stated within this post. Confidence defensively is not high,
momentary loss of concentration or not supporting out team mates have cost us. And personnel changed from game to game don't help.
For me - we need to get the mix right play the same unit week in week out and stop leaking soft tries because we have failed to make the hit.
Every team is get atable this season because of the strengths of squads.
I like the dynamics of attacking play we had lost for a number of seasons and possibly our better game was against Barrff.
Worcester at home will be a stern test for us. As they have strength in defence and a reasonably good attacking unit who take their opportunities when presented. I think if we turn up as we did against Barrff we should win. Otherwise it could be a long afternoon.
More GERRRRR please
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Not any more we don't. It will be interesting to see who gets the position
I'm not cynical just experienced
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

chewbacca wrote:Not any more we don't. It will be interesting to see who gets the position
So, Mr Hansen has left the building....

It can only be a step in the right direction.

"The Leicester Tigers have given me great opportunities to learn and grow as a person and coach which I am grateful for..."

Yeah, 10/10 for effort mate, but I'd rather you hadn't been learning on the team's watch....
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/255 ... _dsJ-T4H_4

A little surprised, certainly by the timing but clearly things can't have been right. I wonder how much this came from feedback from the players or whether it was a direct result of our defensive frailties.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Interesting. Blimey - that was pretty swift.

You could tell from Cockers' demeanour in the last presser that something wasn't right.

My big concern now is whether this upsets the applecart too much. He was Mauger's man - I like what Mauger is trying to do and wouldn't want to lose him.

I also hope the instability doesn't unduly affect us.

I suppose having conceded 30+ points four times this season if you include the pre-season game is a pretty damning appraisal of a defence coach.

So then... now what do we do...?
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

ourla wrote:http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/255 ... _dsJ-T4H_4

A little surprised, certainly by the timing but clearly things can't have been right. I wonder how much this came from feedback from the players or whether it was a direct result of our defensive frailties.
The answer is that the leaky defence asked questions of the collective and in the findings, player and coaches feedback taken into account. There is not one reason and this was fairly mutual.
Less is more....
Iain
Super User
Super User

Breaking news: Tigers and Hansen part company.

Post by Iain »

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/255 ... _dz_Y7F-So

I know it's in the defence coach thread but it probably warrants a thread in its own right as people may not have seen it.

So then.... what now?
Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Breaking news: Tigers and Hansen part company.

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/255 ... _dz_Y7F-So

I know it's in the defence coach thread but it probably warrants a thread in its own right as people may not have seen it.

So then.... what now?
Well, the poor lads couldn't do much worse without a coach - perhaps unencumbered by Hansen, they'll revert back to a defence that has been one of the meanest in the AP in previous years....
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Well, I didn't see that coming. I know we have given too many points away this season so far and our defensive has been shown wanting, but this is quick and decisive. Our attack and point scoring, which has been improving, counts for the square root of not a lot if we are giving so many points away.

We need to improve the simple things in defence. When I coached mini and junior rugby, we hammered the tackles at every training. And emphasising that a good tackle round the legs (I can hear myslef telling the lads "waistband to knee") will stop forward progress. None of this high, round the chest, shoulders business. Just get the simple things right and don't step away from the tackles.

As other posters have said, I hope this doesn't impact confidence and stability in the squad.

We need to regroup and put many points past Wuss on Saturday and concede as few as possible.

C'mon Tigers!!!
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Wow - had a good chat with 'someone at the top' recently who indicated that last season was the transition year and that this season (not next) was when results "had to happen". He certainly gave me the impression that patience was wearing thin and that there was a determination to 'force the issue' where change was required. Must admit - I'm rather pleased that actions have followed words!

An early replacement would indicate this is more than a knee-jerk reaction to recent scorelines but, in any event, there's enough quality in the total coaching squad (AA, Geordan, Blaze, Deacon etc) to sort the problems quickly. It's a cliché but - it can't be any worse...
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I wonder whether the defence gig might go to Anth Allen. He was superb at marshaling the defence on the field. I wonder whether that might translate well into coaching it...?