Happy Clappers v Doom Mongers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Happy Clappers v Doom Mongers

Post by MrPartridge »

Been a fairly lively start on the message board this year with lots of discussion on whether we are moving forward or not. Just had a chance to look at a few stats. A quick comparison of how we have done since last winning the title in 2013.

2012-13: Finished 2nd, 15 wins, 74 points (Points per game 74/22 = 3.36)
2013-14: Finished 3rd, 15 wins, 74 points (Points per game 74/22 = 3.36)
2014-15: Finished 3rd, 15 wins, 68 points (Points per game 68/22 = 3.09)
2015-16: Finished 4th, 14 wins, 55 points (Points per game 65/22 = 2.95)
2016-17: Placed 4th, 3 wins out of 5, 14 points (Points per game 14/5 = 2.8)

All in all, the stats don't really lie. Since we won the title we've dropped off a bit and that means we are 3rd / 4th placed at best. So far this season we are pretty much replicating the last 2 years. If you look at the like for like 5 games so far v same games last year we have 14 points (13 last year). In all likelihood we will win 14/15 games in 2016-17 and that will be on the cusp of getting us into the playoffs (depending on how we go with bonus points).

The positive I can see from the last 3 years was our run to the Euro SF last year. Other than that, it is pretty standard fare for us Tigers fans. Hence the mild surprise that we have had comments here on lines of 'we are terrible this year' or 'keep the faith we are getting better'. We are what we are as per stats above. I'm not sure there have been any huge surprises so far.

Please discuss... :smt002
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: Happy Clappers v Doom Mongers

Post by Iain »

Oh good! This again! I look forward to brand new ground breaking arguments that will make this version of the same debate better and different to the hundreds of preceding arguments :smt023

(I really should work on my sarcastic replies...)
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

[quote="Iain"]Oh good! This again! I look forward to brand new ground breaking arguments that will make this version of the same debate better and different to the hundreds of preceding arguments :smt023

(I really should work on my sarcastic replies...)[/quote]

No, you're doing fine Iain. :smt038
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

MrPartridge wrote:Been a fairly lively start on the message board this year with lots of discussion on whether we are moving forward or not. Just had a chance to look at a few stats. A quick comparison of how we have done since last winning the title in 2013.

All in all, the stats don't really lie. Since we won the title we've dropped off a bit and that means we are 3rd / 4th placed at best. So far this season we are pretty much replicating the last 2 years. If you look at the like for like 5 games so far v same games last year we have 14 points (13 last year). In all likelihood we will win 14/15 games in 2016-17 and that will be on the cusp of getting us into the playoffs (depending on how we go with bonus points).

The positive I can see from the last 3 years was our run to the Euro SF last year. Other than that, it is pretty standard fare for us Tigers fans. Hence the mild surprise that we have had comments here on lines of 'we are terrible this year' or 'keep the faith we are getting better'. We are what we are as per stats above. I'm not sure there have been any huge surprises so far.

I think this is one time when the stats don't tell the whole story. There are lots of back stories. Some in our organisation - changes to the coaching staff, injuries, the pitch and some to do with the opposition - raising of standards in the league, increasing salary cap. I don't know if we can correct the defensive frailties, how good Toomua will be, if Manu will ever be the same again, etc. But then it wouldn't be so interesting if we did. But I am not faithless or certain of our failure as some seem to be. No prizes for guessing who those are by the way.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Ourla mentions Toomua and Manu and I consider this pairing to be the decisive factor in our season.

Bar a proper quality number 8 we have a pack with plenty of strength in depth this season and certainly a match for any team. Our half back pairings again are a match for everybody and in JPP, Veainu, Thommo and Betham we have a class back 3 to play. It would just be so nice to see a centre partnership playing consistently together of Toomua and Manu. If that happens I am convinced we push top 2. Without it then sneaking in the play offs will be our best hope before a horrid away semi as per last couple of seasons.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

MrPartridge wrote:Been a fairly lively start on the message board this year with lots of discussion on whether we are moving forward or not. Just had a chance to look at a few stats. A quick comparison of how we have done since last winning the title in 2013.

I do not see this changing anytime soon, as long as us supporters continue to buy tickets, merchandise, Food & Drink etc, the fact that we are no longer the force we were is clearly not detrimental to the balance sheet.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

sapajo wrote:

I do not see this changing anytime soon, as long as us supporters continue to buy tickets, merchandise, Food & Drink etc, the fact that we are no longer the force we were is clearly not detrimental to the balance sheet.
Apparently, this isn't possible - see the Catering Article.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Fair's fair, there is a whole lot of conjecture, guesswork and gut feel on the forum, so I think it is useful to refer back to the data, which on it's own doesn't lie, but may need some interpretation and perhaps accompanying commentary.

I think my own conclusions remain unchanged . . . whilst we aren't dire we aren't as good as we were four years ago, with a bit of a struggle we will probably make the playoffs but no more, and if we want to do better stuff needs to change (and I'm sure the management are all over it!).

Good call to bring some facts into the debate though.
Tigers Tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigers Tiger »

15/16 = 65 pts not 55 ? Avg. is correct though
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Agree the stats are useful and a good reference point.
It may not be that we are worse or have got stuck at the same level, more that Sarries and Exeter particularly and possibly Wasps too have clearly improved.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Tomvarndell wrote:Ourla mentions Toomua and Manu and I consider this pairing to be the decisive factor in our season.

Bar a proper quality number 8 we have a pack with plenty of strength in depth this season and certainly a match for any team. Our half back pairings again are a match for everybody and in JPP, Veainu, Thommo and Betham we have a class back 3 to play. It would just be so nice to see a centre partnership playing consistently together of Toomua and Manu. If that happens I am convinced we push top 2. Without it then sneaking in the play offs will be our best hope before a horrid away semi as per last couple of seasons.
I couldn't have said it better myself TV :smt023 I hope for the former but with Manu especially I would say the latter is odds on..
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

sapajo wrote:

Interesting so you are advocating not going to the games and not buying Tigers merchandise. Perhaps you should go and support another team as I quite like to go to the games, even if the old ticker doesnt always enjoy it and I am proud to wear my Tigers shirt :smt017 :smt018
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Doghashadhisday wrote:
sapajo wrote:

Interesting so you are advocating not going to the games and not buying Tigers merchandise. Perhaps you should go and support another team as I quite like to go to the games, even if the old ticker doesnt always enjoy it and I am proud to wear my Tigers shirt :smt017 :smt018
A bad case of see what you want to see. Its a sad statement of fact. Loyal fans turn out whatever the results. Ask mike ashley. He's laughing all the way to the bank at those who proudly wear their Toon shirt. Best not to exspress any view and keep those turnstiles rolling. True fans. :smt043
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

SIBARITE wrote:
Doghashadhisday wrote:
sapajo wrote:

A bad case of see what you want to see. Its a sad statement of fact. Loyal fans turn out whatever the results. Ask mike ashley. He's laughing all the way to the bank at those who proudly wear their Toon shirt. Best not to exspress any view and keep those turnstiles rolling. True fans. :smt043
This is so funny. You always demonstrate a 'bad case of see what you want to see'. You never see anything positive. Also please do enlighten me as to what it means when someone says 'I do not see this changing anytime soon, as long as supporters continue to buy tickets' Is that not advocating we stop going if we want to see change?
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

SIBARITE wrote:
Doghashadhisday wrote:
sapajo wrote:

Is that supposed to be some sort of comparison? Look up 'newcastle fans protest' and see what you get and then do the same for Tigers. If it wasn't a comparison, shouldn't it be on chit chat?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game