The RFU doubling Women's Rugby so when are Tigers Ladies?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

The RFU doubling Women's Rugby so when are Tigers Ladies?

Post by wormus »

The RFU have increased Women's Rugby from 15,000 to 25,000 and hope for 50,000 by 2021. So when are Tigers going to start a women's team?
We could be the first Premiership team in the Midlands. Look forward. :smt045
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... -world-cup
Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: The RFU doubling Women's Rugby so when are Tigers Ladies

Post by Roly »

The sooner they start the better, they can then replace the men's team and probably wouldn't fail to do worse.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

There are many established ladies team in the county that Tigers support. A Tigers team would detract from them.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I pray this doesn't happen as we would be hit by all kinds of promotional tosh regarding them...like we are with England ladies when all I care about is the Mens team...Is that sexist? It might be but I hate it when they put Maggie Alphonsi on the TV like during the Rugby World Cup it is cringe...
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JackFlashJonny wrote:I pray this doesn't happen as we would be hit by all kinds of promotional tosh regarding them...like we are with England ladies when all I care about is the Mens team...Is that sexist? It might be but I hate it when they put Maggie Alphonsi on the TV like during the Rugby World Cup it is cringe...
Probably.

Women's rugby is every bit as worth a watch as men's rugby, if you have more than one eye of course. In many respects, it's better to watch, it involves every bit as much skill and isn't often less physical.

The England women's team has been very successful - and Maggie Alphonsi a mainstay in that team. Therefore, I'm not sure why her sex would preclude her involvement on a rugby commentary team.

I'm also not sure how some people can on the one hand, complain vociferously that rugby should be being promoted more to a wider base of potential players and fans and then on the other hand allude that somehow, women's rugby isn't 'right'.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

JackFlashJonny wrote:I pray this doesn't happen as we would be hit by all kinds of promotional tosh regarding them...like we are with England ladies when all I care about is the Mens team...Is that sexist? It might be but I hate it when they put Maggie Alphonsi on the TV like during the Rugby World Cup it is cringe...
I thought Maggie Alphonsi spoke well and better than some of the numpties the TV used.

Do Tiger's need a ladies side when Leicestershire has Loughborough Uni ladies?
(Didn't George Shuter do some coaching there)
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Oof.

That could have been put better...
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

mol2 wrote:
I thought Maggie Alphonsi spoke well and better than some of the numpties the TV used.

Do Tiger's need a ladies side when Leicestershire has Loughborough Uni ladies?
(Didn't George Shuter do some coaching there)
I thought Loughborough Uni ladies team WERE Tigers' ladies team!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I'd be all for a Tigers ladies team if it were not for the already prominent local women's teams that exist, that said to have the likes of Emily Scarratt representing Tigers wouldn't be a bad thing!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I am a massive fan of Maggie the machine. I admired her as a player and happy to hear her as a commentator. I would say for example I would much rather hear her that Barnes or Morris. Mind you I would rather listen to a dog howling than listen to those two to be fair.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I am a massive fan of Maggie the machine. I admired her as a player and happy to hear her as a commentator. I would say for example I would much rather hear her that Barnes or Morris. Mind you I would rather listen to a dog howling than listen to those two to be fair.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Iain wrote:
Oof.

:smt003 I did think that whilst writing it...but it is my opinion and I stick by it..I just hate the PC brigade that decide these things..

Womens rugby just doesn't remotely interest me and I feel it always gets shoved down your throat..
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
Iain wrote:
Oof.

:smt003 I did think that whilst writing it...but it is my opinion and I stick by it..I just hate the PC brigade that decide these things..

Womens rugby just doesn't remotely interest me and I feel it always gets shoved down your throat..
Ah, so Maggie Alphonsi is employed as a pundit because the broadcaster has to fulfil an equal opportunities quota:

Not because she played as a flanker for Saracens W.R.F.C. and England.

Not because she was Sunday Times Sportswoman of the Year in 2010.

Not because she was born with a physical disability, which she had to overcome in order to play rugby.

Not because she retired after England won the 2014 World Cup in France in a team she Captained.

Not because she continues to coach and promote female participation and coaching in sport.

Not because she was a Rugby World Cup 2015 Ambassador and continues to be an ambassador of several not-for-profits and charities including Peace One Day, Wooden Spoon, Sporting Equals and SKRUM which aims to give the youth of Africa hope for the future through rugby.

Not because she has played in two Rugby World Cups and in 2012 shared in a record seventh successive Six Nations title and a sixth Grand Slam in seven years.

Not because she won the Pat Marshall award from the Rugby Union Writers’ Club, where she pipped New Zealand captain, Richie McCaw, to become the first woman to claim the prize in its 50-year history.

But maybe because she earned the right to provide insight. And it's purely the narrow minded and misogynistic view that its the PC Brigade putting the likes of women's rugby forward, that keeps more well deserving and equally qualified women and women's sports out of the public eye.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote: :smt003 I did think that whilst writing it...but it is my opinion and I stick by it..I just hate the PC brigade that decide these things..

Ah, so Maggie Alphonsi is employed as a pundit because the broadcaster has to fulfil an equal opportunities quota:

Not because she was born with a physical disability, which she had to overcome in order to play rugby.

Not because she retired after England won the 2014 World Cup in France in a team she Captained.

Not because she continues to coach and promote female participation and coaching in sport.

Not because she was a Rugby World Cup 2015 Ambassador and continues to be an ambassador of several not-for-profits and charities including Peace One Day, Wooden Spoon, Sporting Equals and SKRUM which aims to give the youth of Africa hope for the future through rugby.

Not because she has played in two Rugby World Cups and in 2012 shared in a record seventh successive Six Nations title and a sixth Grand Slam in seven years.

Not because she won the Pat Marshall award from the Rugby Union Writers’ Club, where she pipped New Zealand captain, Richie McCaw, to become the first woman to claim the prize in its 50-year history.

But maybe because she earned the right to provide insight. And it's purely the narrow minded and misogynistic view that its the PC Brigade putting the likes of women's rugby forward, that keeps more well deserving and equally qualified women and women's sports out of the public eye.
But apart from all that, whatever has she done for us :smt003 :smt048 :smt030
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

ourla wrote:
Roly wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote: :smt003 I did think that whilst writing it...but it is my opinion and I stick by it..I just hate the PC brigade that decide these things..

But apart from all that, whatever has she done for us :smt030
This is a brilliant retort Ourla :smt038 ...granted it may be both narrow minded and misogynistic but for me why would you have someone commentating and offering opinions on something that have no experience in it...she has done all those amazing things in the womens game yes and they are incredible but it is lightyears behind the mens game...

Has she played at Twickenham to a full stadium with the whole rugby supporters of the nation watching her performance to understand that pressure and experience..No

I do understand on other hand is she a brilliant role model to young women :smt045