The RFU doubling Women's Rugby so when are Tigers Ladies?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: The RFU doubling Women's Rugby so when are Tigers Ladies

Post by mol2 »

Played for Saracens - that's blown it for me, bring back Barnes!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
I do understand on other hand is she a brilliant role model to young women :smt045
I don't think it would be possible to be more patronising in the context of your opinion.

You do realise that its 2016 don't you?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Roly wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote:
I do understand on other hand is she a brilliant role model to young women :smt045
I don't think it would be possible to be more patronising in the context of your opinion.

Funny thing is (not that funny) I am probably one of the youngest on here... :smt047
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
Roly wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote:

Funny thing is (not that funny) I am probably one of the youngest on here... :smt047
As a matter of interest JFJ, have you ever watched a top flight women's match live?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Roly, I'm sure JFJ is fully aware it's 2016 which is why he mentioned the politically correct brigade. You can't say anything controversial anymore. Especially on here!

Also, if he doesn't like women's rugby then fair enough. Roly doesn't like Leicester Tigers but at least JFJ admits when he doesn't like something!
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

I am a bit in the JFJ camp about the womens game. I did enjoy the Olympic womens 7s but for reasons of duty I have seen a lot of girls and womens rugby including a few womens premiership matches and to be honest I would not really want to watch any more.Personally I would rather watch a lower level mens game. I have no issue with women playing rugby or any other sport for that matter but at the moment I don't want to watch womens Rugby and I would not therefore be in favour of Tigers spending resources on it. If it can self resource, then no issues!

Its just my opinion and others are welcome to theirs, just don't get out the diversity / PC soap box if someone doesn't agree with you (unless your hobby is trolling of course - apparently a recognised sport in its own right and open to all!)

I do get fed up when someone expresses an honest opinion on any subject and then instead of presenting the opposite view a large section of the population go straight to the -ism or -ist card.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tyzot wrote:I am a bit in the JFJ camp about the womens game. I did enjoy the Olympic womens 7s but for reasons of duty I have seen a lot of girls and womens rugby including a few womens premiership matches and to be honest I would not really want to watch any more.Personally I would rather watch a lower level mens game. I have no issue with women playing rugby or any other sport for that matter but at the moment I don't want to watch womens Rugby and I would not therefore be in favour of Tigers spending resources on it. If it can self resource, then no issues!

Its just my opinion and others are welcome to theirs, just don't get out the diversity / PC soap box if someone doesn't agree with you (unless your hobby is trolling of course - apparently a recognised sport in its own right and open to all!)

I do get fed up when someone expresses an honest opinion on any subject and then instead of presenting the opposite view a large section of the population go straight to the -ism or -ist card.
While I have the opposite view about women's rugby I agree entirely that knee-jerk attacks proposing sexism etc are the refuge of scoundrels - you can defend the existence of something while disliking it (e.g.Noel Edmonds) . BTW 'PC Brigade' is entirely an invention of the media, usually thought to originate with the Daily Express and be promulgated by the Mail and Sun. AFAIK it originated with people who were upset that women and 'blackies' did not know their place in society.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Interesting how the world has turned in such matters!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

[quote="ellis9"]Roly, I'm sure JFJ is fully aware it's 2016 which is why he mentioned the politically correct brigade. You can't say anything controversial anymore. Especially on here!

Also, if he doesn't like women's rugby then fair enough. Roly doesn't like Leicester Tigers but at least JFJ admits when he doesn't like something![/quote]

As usual, you're completely wrong.

I really don't have to justify myself to you, but I don't suppose it had ever occurred to you that its because I am proud of the club and its erstwhile achievements that I'm so vociferous in my criticism of a management team I perceive to be taking the club down the wrong path?

Probably not.
Last edited by Roly on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
Roly wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote:

I absolutely appreciate that you have this opinion, its fine. I'm just a bit aware that it smacks of hypocrisy and is rather outdated.

Whilst expressing your viewpoint, I find it odd that you'd complain about someone like M Alphonsi specifically, when in actual fact, she's a well respected ambassador for the sport and is more than qualified to appear as a pundit.

Your original post quite literally oozed sexism. As Iain pointed out, if that's your opinion, you probably could have veiled it better.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Tigerbeat telling everyone to please stay on topic in 5...4....3...
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:Tigerbeat telling everyone to please stay on topic in 5...4....3...
To be fair, it is national Women In Sport Week (which is where I suspect this thread originated from) so arguably all matters relating to women in sport are on topic (ish).

Coincidentally, there was a good article on my local BBC TV news yesterday about increasing participation in women's rugby and how it is starting to attract some quality coaches now - perhaps women's rugby won't be playing second fiddle to the men's game for too long...
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Iain wrote:Tigerbeat telling everyone to please stay on topic in 5...4....3...
:smt005 :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I have often said we should at least try and field a Tigers Ladies team after all Emily Scarret is Leicestershire born and bred. I would happily trot down to Welford road to support them.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Noddy555 wrote:I have often said we should at least try and field a Tigers Ladies team after all Emily Scarret is Leicestershire born and bred. I would happily trot down to Welford road to support them.
I wonder if Matt Toomua could persuade Ellyse Perry to swing the other way?

(I'm aware that could be misinterpreted - for my fellow deviants, I'm talking about her switching from soccer to union!) :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives