I'm confused

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

I'm confused

Post by ellis9 »

For the past couple of seasons all I have seen and heard from a number of Tigers fans is how boring the rugby was and how they just want to see some entertaining rugby. Today we scored 3 really good tries, the second of which was a pre-planned move. These were entertaining.

However, we lost the game so people are saying we are not good enough etc.

Are you not happy with the entertaining rugby?
Did you assume that entertaining rugby would guarantee winning rugby? (I told you it wouldn't)
Do you realise we are in the top 4 without having hit top gear yet?
People keep banging on about conceding too many points but surely more points in a game is more entertaining and does it/would it matter if we concede 30 points a game if we score 31?

I am not sure what you want!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: I'm confused

Post by tigerburnie »

Next weeks winning lottery numbers please :smt002
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

. . . I want it all, and I want it now!

:smt035 :smt036 :smt035 :smt036
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote:For the past couple of seasons all I have seen and heard from a number of Tigers fans is how boring the rugby was and how they just want to see some entertaining rugby. Today we scored 3 really good tries, the second of which was a pre-planned move. These were entertaining.

Did you assume that entertaining rugby would guarantee winning rugby? (I told you it wouldn't)
People keep banging on about conceding too many points but surely more points in a game is more entertaining and does it/would it matter if we concede 30 points a game if we score 31?

I think most sensible people would be a lot happier if Tigers weren't shipping an average of 25 points and 3 tries per game.

And Tigers did very nearly score 31 points v Sale, except they were playing 14 men and still lost the match for want of a try. Your analogy only works if you take the Glaws game in isolation, and since its evident that a 5 year old with rickets could beat Glaws at the moment, that's nothing to write home about, believe me.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I just want us to win. I thought that was the objective in playing. If we can win playing attractively then great but I don't see style as an alternative to substance
I'm not cynical just experienced
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

chewbacca wrote:I just want us to win. I thought that was the objective in playing. If we can win playing attractively then great but I don't see style as an alternative to substance
Ah, it isn't just me then.....
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I like a lot of what we're doing going forward. And it will only get better when Toomua comes in to the side.

The defence is concerning me. We have some work to do to ensure that x doesn't have to mean y, so to speak.
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

Iain wrote:I like a lot of what we're doing going forward. And it will only get better when Toomua comes in to the side.

The defence is concerning me. We have some work to do to ensure that x doesn't have to mean y, so to speak.
You just can't keep shipping 30 odd points per game and expect to win. Defence as everyone states is an issue, some of the tackling is Sunday morning park stuff.

I would rather see some 15-6 win scorelines than 34-31 losses.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

kelmat wrote:
Iain wrote:I like a lot of what we're doing going forward. And it will only get better when Toomua comes in to the side.

You just can't keep shipping 30 odd points per game and expect to win. Defence as everyone states is an issue, some of the tackling is Sunday morning park stuff.

Me too.

But it is possible to play an exciting brand of rugby AND defend well. The defence is the problem at the minute, not the attack.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:
kelmat wrote:

Me too.

But it is possible to play an exciting brand of rugby AND defend well. The defence is the problem at the minute, not the attack.
Whilst I'd tend to agree with you Iain, it isn't strictly true - as I've said already, to be within 1 point against 14 men and to not convert that into 'a score of any description' is criminal. A sin-binning is, on average, worth at least 7 points to the opposition. In this case, Tigers wanted just two. That's 5 points gone begging and no mistake.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Roly wrote:Whilst I'd tend to agree with you Iain, it isn't strictly true - as I've said already, to be within 1 point against 14 men and to not convert that into 'a score of any description' is criminal. A sin-binning is, on average, worth at least 7 points to the opposition. In this case, Tigers wanted just two. That's 5 points gone begging and no mistake.
but they did get 7 with their man in the bin - we were 8 points behind when they went down to 14 :smt017
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote:For the past couple of seasons all I have seen and heard from a number of Tigers fans is how boring the rugby was and how they just want to see some entertaining rugby. Today we scored 3 really good tries, the second of which was a pre-planned move. These were entertaining.

I think you are overplaying it ellis9. The season before last our attack was a wet sponge and we had to grind out results purely on defence. That couldn't carry on and sure enough it has been addressed. Now we all know, there may be some effect on the defensive, short term or not. But it's gone beyond that. Some of the defensive errors and points being shipped are not as a result of overdoing the attacking (some are). So, as with many others I believe, I think we can continue to score as much as we are doing but conceding 10-14 points less per game. It's perfectly doable, would make us very difficult to beat and would put is in the mix for trophies. And more's the point, we would nearly all be happy.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:
Roly wrote:Whilst I'd tend to agree with you Iain, it isn't strictly true - as I've said already, to be within 1 point against 14 men and to not convert that into 'a score of any description' is criminal. A sin-binning is, on average, worth at least 7 points to the opposition. In this case, Tigers wanted just two. That's 5 points gone begging and no mistake.
but they did get 7 with their man in the bin - we were 8 points behind when they went down to 14 :smt017
Having only had the benefit of highlights (and only seeing some of those) it appears I may be mistaken. However, I am now under the impression that Tigers scored that try very quickly after the sin-binning - didn't they have plenty of time to get just another two during that period?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote:
Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:
Having only had the benefit of highlights (and only seeing some of those) it appears I may be mistaken. However, I am now under the impression that Tigers scored that try very quickly after the sin-binning - didn't they have plenty of time to get just another two during that period?
Sale ate the clock down pretty well but we compounded the problem by going offside at the breakdown. I saw Tom Youngs throw his hands in frustration - and NOT regarding the referees decision.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Roly wrote:Having only had the benefit of highlights (and only seeing some of those) it appears I may be mistaken. However, I am now under the impression that Tigers scored that try very quickly after the sin-binning - didn't they have plenty of time to get just another two during that period?
From memory Tigers had about 8 minutes, during which they got frustrated at some very good (and legal) clock winding down by Sale.

This frustration led to Tiger's players straying offside, hands in the ruck etc. trying to get the ball back so they could make use of the man advantage.

It was shrewd play by Sale that deprived us of the ball.