Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: IF Cockers were to go...

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:I for one am shocked at you saying anything tongue in cheek :smt023

The whole conversation is somewhat moot as Cockerill will be going nowhere. I'm quite confident of that.
I'd agree - at least he's not going anywhere yet....

I do find it quite amusing that Baxter's name is being suggested. A good DoR for sure, but one who has taken years to build Exeter into the team they are and has a very measured approach to his aspirations it would seem. I suppose it could be a good thing, as another 5 years of squeaking into the top four would give the apologists an excuse to regurgitate the phrase 'transitional season' without fear of being labelled as Happy Clappers.... :smt002

Disclaimer: I love Happy Clappers and I want their babies.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

tigercaspian wrote:
Snorbins wrote:No reason to ask the question as Cockers ain't going anywhere and we don't need a change of identity.
Here,here!!
I got a kicking on this question two seasons ago for suggesting Dai Young....
I had hoped that with all the smileys that I used, the thread would be seen as tongue-in-cheek. I was pretty sure that neither White nor Solomons would be palatable to most on here.

As for Dai Young, I was probably one of the more vociferous opponents. His track record of expensive & talented teams underperforming is horrendous.
LondonRich
Tiger Cub

Post by LondonRich »

Here's a though, to promote some discussion:

Much like teams have their academies to bring young players through, how about a similar approach to coaching? Look the bed young coaches into Tigers, perhaps sending them on 'loan' for experience in the southern hemisphere (as Ian Richie noted during the week) or to other clubs before bringing them back in to take over when appropriate. Good examples would be Richard Blaze and Geordan Murphy.

This is just a thought, I'm sure there will be endless pros and cons to it.

Do Tigers have a succession plan in place? What if Cockers left tomorrow?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

They would put Mauger in charge until they found someone or keep Mauger if he did a good job holding the fort.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LondonRich wrote:Here's a though, to promote some discussion:

Much like teams have their academies to bring young players through, how about a similar approach to coaching? Look the bed young coaches into Tigers, perhaps sending them on 'loan' for experience in the southern hemisphere (as Ian Richie noted during the week) or to other clubs before bringing them back in to take over when appropriate. Good examples would be Richard Blaze and Geordan Murphy.

This is just a thought, I'm sure there will be endless pros and cons to it.

Do Tigers have a succession plan in place? What if Cockers left tomorrow?
If Cockers were to be unable to continue as of tomorrow I would imagine that Mauger would continue as head coach and take on the DOR responsibilities part time. We would then start a recruitment process. I am sure the club have a list of coaches that they would deem appropriate for Leicester and would bring them to discussion, focusing on those who are contractually available at that time.

For example Meyer is currently available, White is available from next summer or we could be cheeky and try to get Cotter in ahead of Montpellier.

As it stands it doesn't really matter as Cockers is with us for this season and next at least.

As far as I am aware we do facilitate coaches going abroad for experience. Not working abroad for a length of time which was what Eddie Jones wanted to encourage. Blaze and Murphy are involved in the first team so if we were to take on such a scheme it would be Brett Deacon and Ant Allen who would be prime candidates. I think Louis Deacon is already working with the Spanish national side.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I have not given up on Johnno.
OK the England job didn't go well but he had God like status when he was
pushed into it and as he said at the time, he doubted he was ready.

Much has been written about that period but I believe he was the right man but
five years too soon. It was against his own inclination and he was having to direct
many players who were close personal friends.Never good to sup with other ranks.
Had he cut his teeth as Tigers forwards coach and then DOR I have no doubt that
he would have eventually come good for England.
As our greatest player and Captain, there is no doubting his credentials,
why wouldn't he do a great job as the head coach or DOR?
Bomber, Ford etc. and several ex international coaches are operating as Coaches of
one kind or another, but Johnno is out of the game which I feel is a shame.
A life long Tiger
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Smudge wrote:I have not given up on Johnno...

As our greatest player and Captain, there is no doubting his credentials,
why wouldn't he do a great job as the head coach or DOR?
I think there's a huge difference between DoR and Head Coach! I'd be fairly comfortable with MJ as DoR but not Coach - actually, I feel the same about Cockers although, like MJ, his credentials as Forwards Coach are pretty good.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
tigercaspian wrote:
Snorbins wrote:No reason to ask the question as Cockers ain't going anywhere and we don't need a change of identity.
Here,here!!
I got a kicking on this question two seasons ago for suggesting Dai Young....
I had hoped that with all the smileys that I used, the thread would be seen as tongue-in-cheek. I was pretty sure that neither White nor Solomons would be palatable to most on here.

As for Dai Young, I was probably one of the more vociferous opponents. His track record of expensive & talented teams underperforming is horrendous.
With you on White and Solomons but, the way Pests are playing at the moment, I would beg to differ on D.Young Esq........Autumn internationals and new year boggy grounds not withstanding !
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Interesting thread if taken in the right frame of mind. Until the Bath game many would have rated Blackadder above Cockers, but the game was lost by Bath by not competing at the breakdown so a coaching error turned the game (IMHO) also in my opinion Cockers would top many other teams wish list, Dai Young struggled until given a blank cheque to sign anyone who was available, We do not know how McCall would fare if he had a budget to work within, any new coach would be up against the same problem as Cockers. So given the same squad would anyone get a better performance out of it, before the Bath game a lot would have said yes but now we should wait until the AI's and the British winter has sorted the show ponies from the workhorses.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

tigercaspian wrote:With you on White and Solomons but, the way Pests are playing at the moment, I would beg to differ on D.Young Esq........Autumn internationals and new year boggy grounds not withstanding !
Differ away re Dai Young. The way that Tigers played against Wasps, if it had been Exeter or Sarries, we would have been stuffed. Wasps were almost as bad as us that day. Yes, there have been some good performances by them this season, but they should performing better given their squad.