Ford to Toulon

Post by Dave J »

A citizen of hope and glory
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: Ford to Toulon

Post by Iain »

Did he stumble across an old lamp and give it a rub? That's a dream job, considering especially the hash he made of last season.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

"It is understood the 50-year-old will be responsible for shaping the team's attack, defence and overall gameplan."

Which will be plan A, and if I were Toulon i'd ask to see Plan B before employing him!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Just how long before George joins him on the beach :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Must have been so difficult for Mourad Boudjellal - choosing between Lancaster and Ford! :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

I am assuming Diego Dominguez is still there as Head Coach ? Difficult to tell on the Toulon Roundabout ! So that will be an interesting relationship for a start.

In fairness to Ford, let us not forget that he was smart enough to get Barf to the Prem Final in 2015 but then the Burgess acquisition codsed up so much for them......not to mention England....

I am not privy to whether Burgess was foisted on Ford or whether Ford had an active hand in it all but he'll have a whole bunch of big names to handle at Toulon and you'd hope he makes a better fist of it.

With Toulon currently in the bottom half of the table after 5 games,things can only get better........can't they ??
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

sapajo wrote:Just how long before George joins him on the beach :smt002
If he does, how long will it be before the clowns on the TV start referring to the club as George Ford's Toulon in the same way it always used to be Jonny Wilkinson's Toulon or Racing 92 is now Dan Carter's Racing 92?
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

BeeJ wrote:
If he does, how long will it be before the clowns on the TV start referring to the club as George Ford's Toulon in the same way it always used to be Jonny Wilkinson's Toulon or Racing 92 is now Dan Carter's Racing 92?

That would never happen...Wilkinson and Carter are bigger than the respective clubs..Ford definitely is not and probably never will be :smt023
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

JackFlashJonny wrote:That would never happen...Wilkinson and Carter are bigger than the respective clubs..Ford definitely is not and probably never will be :smt023
You're missing my point. The idiots on the TV are being patronising and think if they don't append a famous player's name (preferably English) to a Johnny Foreigner club then we won't know what they're talking about.

I worked on the TV programme 15 to 1 in the late 90s. I lost count of the number of times William G Stewart thought a question I'd written was too hard but it would be fine if he simply inserted the word 'famous'. For example, in his mind, the question Which Welshman refereed the 2015 Rugby World Cup final? would be too hard for the general public to comprehend but Which famous Welshman refereed the 2015 Rugby World Cup final? would be a far easier question. It's the same with those on TV now: they didn't think we knew of Toulon so they felt it necessary to always refer to the club as Jonny Wilkinson's Toulon.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

If gossip is to be believed Fords senior and junior are not on speaking terms due to a certain indiscretion. So junior won't be joining daddy under any circumstances......allegedly :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

tigerburnie wrote:If gossip is to be believed Fords senior and junior are not on speaking terms due to a certain indiscretion. So junior won't be joining daddy under any circumstances......allegedly :smt004
AFAIK not been substantiated.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

jgriffin wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:If gossip is to be believed Fords senior and junior are not on speaking terms due to a certain indiscretion. So junior won't be joining daddy under any circumstances......allegedly :smt004
AFAIK not been substantiated.
He allegedly told Bath that the noise from the Dressing Room "was him pumping balls up!! :smt026
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

strawclearer wrote:Must have been so difficult for Mourad Boudjellal - choosing between Lancaster and Ford! :smt003
Must be nice to have a failure leading the Toulon revival (if that is what it is). The fans must be over the moon (not!). I wish I had been as bad at my job as Ford has been (evidenced by Bath's immediate better performance under Blackadder) and still get hired by the club with the biggest bank balance and the deepest pockets in Europe. This appointment, and Lancaster at Leinster, beggars belief. I wonder if Tweedledee and Tweedledum are on an RFU style 6 year rolling contract worth hundreds of thousands, thrown in - before they have actually achieved anything? Nice work if you can get it!!
Last edited by AlphaWiseOwl on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I doubt very much that Ford would give up his international career. Moving to France would leave him in the international wilderness.

Having said that Toulon are desperately seeking a ten to lead them. They've had Cooper, Hernandez, O'Connor and Trinh-Duc but did miss out on Carter. I'm sure a lucrative offer will be pushed under George's nose.