Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Simon Cohen's well chosen words ..............again

Post by tigercaspian »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37418859

I like the comments about 'sugar daddies' ............puts the argument of club sustainability versus silverware at all costs very well.

His comments also link nicely to several of our current live threads.

Of course, we'd all like to have the sustainability AND the silverware, right ? But in practise, it's almost impossible to achieve.

Personally, age & experience has taught me that sustainability and occasional silverware will do nicely.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Simon Cohen's well chosen words ..............again

Post by chewbacca »

Yes we may need to adjust our expectations as it's not a level playing field. No 'governing body' is going to enforce regulations for fear of litigation and I may have to reluctantly agree with my good lady when she says we cant win every game.
I'm not cynical just experienced
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I feel that there is a serious risk of Tigers getting left behind if the cap continues to rise, in fact I believe we are already seeing the effects, SC says we are basically at the clubs financial limit on the salary cap alone now where teams like Bath, Saracens and Wasps are now able to spend the full cap and have plenty of ££££ to spend on backroom staff, state of the art analytic's equipment, gyms and training facilities that make a massive amount of difference.

I fear Tigers are only 2-3 seasons away from having to search for a sugar daddy just to stay competitive at all and that's if we can catch up at that point, the days of clubs owned by the fans are over IMO, the only counter to this argument is the Green Bay Packers who still compete in the NFL as the only team who are owned by shareholders and not a Tycoon, they however have a stadium that holds around 80,000 people and fans have to wait around 20 years to get a season ticket due to demand which is well beyond the level of Tigers currently
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes though not always agreeing with Simon, I think his wisdom showed not only in the words spoken but the appropriate time too. We must sort out this business about the have's and have nots, one remembers a time in Rugby League when Wigan's dominance both on and off the field almost led to the death of that game. Fair and equable competition must always be at the forefront of policy planning by the RFU.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

We may, of course, not have to wait too long before at least one of those teams collapses financially, may be traded, may be discarded. SC is correct that we are at a crossroads.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Noddy555 wrote:Yes though not always agreeing with Simon, I think his wisdom showed not only in the words spoken but the appropriate time too. We must sort out this business about the have's and have nots, one remembers a time in Rugby League when Wigan's dominance both on and off the field almost led to the death of that game. Fair and equable competition must always be at the forefront of policy planning by the RFU.
Totally agree Noddy555 but I fear all the regulation is for naught if there is no 'prosecution' of those regulations. That has been sadly absent thus far.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Oh Jeez, supporters talking common sense, whatever next? Reality setting in! The clubs not run as badly as some posters think!
I thought SC had muted the same argument a month or so ago in the Rugby Paper.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Noddy555 wrote:Yes though not always agreeing with Simon, I think his wisdom showed not only in the words spoken but the appropriate time too. We must sort out this business about the have's and have nots, one remembers a time in Rugby League when Wigan's dominance both on and off the field almost led to the death of that game. Fair and equable competition must always be at the forefront of policy planning by the RFU.
And yet you were the one who has consistently been banging the drum about scrapping the salary cap and let market forces take over.

Do you not see the contradiction in what you're now saying?!

Without a fair and well managed salary cap the Premiership would lose its brilliant competitive nature.
Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tom Tom »

It's all very well, as you mostly seem to be, accepting that there isn't enough money in the Tigers coffers to spend at the level that Saffas & Other clubs with sugar daddies are able.
IF, & it's a big IF, Tigers maximised their income, e.g. Get the bar and food service efficient in the Final Whistle with quick service and make use of the extra profit they would obviously generate to invest in the future of the Tigers 1st team.

But NO, this won't happen, because it obviously is not on the agenda. Bar service has been consistently terrible ( with a few exceptions) since the CAT/Met/ ? stand was opened 5/6 years ago.

Our group of 7 now spend on food & drink outside the ground where our custom is both wanted and appreciated - and we get served without delay.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

That would be a drop in the ocean compared to the extra resources Saracens, Wasps or Bath have.
Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tom Tom »

Iain wrote:That would be a drop in the ocean compared to the extra resources Saracens, Wasps or Bath have.
With respect, this was just one example of where Tigers are missing out on a better revenue stream - 'e.g'

To coin a phrase.... ' every little helps'.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

I don't understand the sustainability v Silverware argument.

It seems pretty obvious that silverware = sustainability.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote:I don't understand the sustainability v Silverware argument.

It's not obvious at all. Care to explain why you think silverware = sustainability?
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Newcastle?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:

Newcastle?
Sarries (without sugar daddy).