Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Simon Cohen's well chosen words ..............again

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Tom Tom wrote:
Iain wrote:That would be a drop in the ocean compared to the extra resources Saracens, Wasps or Bath have.
With respect, this was just one example of where Tigers are missing out on a better revenue stream - 'e.g'

To coin a phrase.... ' every little helps'.

The kit fiasco is a huge money spinner thrown away every year since 2011...unless Kitbag make the money then it would make sense why no-one remotely seems to care what shoddy disgusting kit they make :smt023
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote:
Roly wrote:I don't understand the sustainability v Silverware argument.

It seems pretty obvious that silverware = sustainability.
It's not obvious at all. Care to explain why you think silverware = sustainability?
Winning trophies raises the profile of the club, makes it more widely available to a larger audience (via pay per view TV for example) and potentially creates more supporters.

This in turn generates revenue and enduring appeal. Exposure is everything in this modern era. Saracens' fanbase is booming - and its difficult to see that they wont be sustainable in the long run. Seems like they've been prepared to chuck the dice, of course moving to their own stadium helped a lot.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Silverware vs Sustainability, it's an interesting question to try and answer. I don't believe that there is any doubt that our success over the last 20 years has led to increasing crowds, ground improvements etc. We have been able to increase our income from sponsorship, but for some reason we have lost our way with replica kits and catering, and there is some way to go with each of these areas.
However, if we fall away in playing terms, will our successful revenue streams fall away? If that happens, as we don't have backing like Saracens, Bath etc we will have to tighten our belts. This could result in players such as Petersen, Toomua, etc not being affordable. We cannot afford to get into such a downward spiral, so I do believe that success, with silverware, is vital if we are to compete at the top level in Rugby.
It doesn't matter to Bath and Saracens if their income from rugby falls, as they have friends with deep pockets, so a couple of poor seasons doesn't worry them. They will just buy better / more expensive players. I
Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tom Tom »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Silverware vs Sustainability, it's an interesting question to try and answer. I don't believe that there is any doubt that our success over the last 20 years has led to increasing crowds, ground improvements etc. We have been able to increase our income from sponsorship, but for some reason we have lost our way with replica kits and catering, and there is some way to go with each of these areas.
However, if we fall away in playing terms, will our successful revenue streams fall away? If that happens, as we don't have backing like Saracens, Bath etc we will have to tighten our belts. This could result in players such as Petersen, Toomua, etc not being affordable. We cannot afford to get into such a downward spiral, so I do believe that success, with silverware, is vital if we are to compete at the top level in Rugby.
It doesn't matter to Bath and Saracens if their income from rugby falls, as they have friends with deep pockets, so a couple of poor seasons doesn't worry them. They will just buy better / more expensive players. I
This is spot on & well put.

It's ok investing in hotels, conference facilities, glass towers & the like.
But not at the expense of the core business that got you there and noticed in the first place.
A successful, financially very secure family club first & foremost repaying loyal supporters with success on the field will bring in further supporters and sponsors.
Therefore guaranteeing financial stability and the future of our club.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Mmm... after a couple of 'poor' seasons.. Tigers tickets sold and revenue was up for 2015/16... http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/247 ... -QAOuT4G80

I'm not seeing any lack of sponsors either. I don't know maybe after a couple more years the fan base and sponsors will start to seep away.

On the other hand as others have pointed out how long will Craig's interest at Bath be maintained? There can only be one Prem winner and one ERC winner each year.

Maybe silverware is a requisite for Tigers and not for others. But that doesn't seem to really make sense to me...
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Tom Tom wrote:
Bowden Tiger wrote:Silverware vs Sustainability, it's an interesting question to try and answer. I don't believe that there is any doubt that our success over the last 20 years has led to increasing crowds, ground improvements etc. We have been able to increase our income from sponsorship, but for some reason we have lost our way with replica kits and catering, and there is some way to go with each of these areas.

But not at the expense of the core business that got you there and noticed in the first place.
A successful, financially very secure family club first & foremost repaying loyal supporters with success on the field will bring in further supporters and sponsors.
I wouldn't necessarily come to the same conclusion. I think if Tigers had a succession of poor seasons it would take quite a while for any drop in income to have a major effect. On the other hand some of the other club's sugar daddies may walk with their wallets much more promptly if things don't go their way, which would almost certainly be immediately catastrophic for the clubs concerned.
Also, I think investing in hotels, conference facilities, etc is designed to set up revenue streams to enhance spending on the core activity rather than detract from it.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

h's dad wrote:
Tom Tom wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily come to the same conclusion. I think if Tigers had a succession of poor seasons it would take quite a while for any drop in income to have a major effect. On the other hand some of the other club's sugar daddies may walk with their wallets much more promptly if things don't go their way, which would almost certainly be immediately catastrophic for the clubs concerned.
Also, I think investing in hotels, conference facilities, etc is designed to set up revenue streams to enhance spending on the core activity rather than detract from it.
Leicester city centre is short on hotel rooms at peak periods but do not for a moment think that they will be filled with Tigers fans if they slip down the table. Local fans may attend matches but travelling supporters will not pay the extra expense to see a losing team. Spare me the I am a lone supporter and I will travel from Aberdeen no matter what. We need near capacity crowds to compete in the market. Bring on the sugar daddy if thats the reality of the market. Its commercial, its competitive and its now. Sick of hearing the "The good old days"
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

SIBARITE wrote:Leicester city centre is short on hotel rooms at peak periods but do not for a moment think that they will be filled with Tigers fans if they slip down the table. Local fans may attend matches but travelling supporters will not pay the extra expense to see a losing team. Spare me the I am a lone supporter and I will travel from Aberdeen no matter what. We need near capacity crowds to compete in the market. Bring on the sugar daddy if thats the reality of the market. Its commercial, its competitive and its now. Sick of hearing the "The good old days"
I don't think anybody (bar yourself) has suggested that only Tigers fans stop in hotels and I doubt any hotel business model relies on one night every fortnight :smt017
No objection to a sugar daddy (I just regard it as an expensive season ticket) as long as a viable exit plan is in place.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

h's dad wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:Leicester city centre is short on hotel rooms at peak periods but do not for a moment think that they will be filled with Tigers fans if they slip down the table. Local fans may attend matches but travelling supporters will not pay the extra expense to see a losing team. Spare me the I am a lone supporter and I will travel from Aberdeen no matter what. We need near capacity crowds to compete in the market. Bring on the sugar daddy if thats the reality of the market. Its commercial, its competitive and its now. Sick of hearing the "The good old days"
I don't think anybody (bar yourself) has suggested that only Tigers fans stop in hotels and I doubt any hotel business model relies on one night every fortnight :smt017
No objection to a sugar daddy (I just regard it as an expensive season ticket) as long as a viable exit plan is in place.
As usual you miss the point. Your own agenda is not everyones. The point was that the extra expense would deter fans from attending the games of a failing side. This is amply proved in any professional team sport. The lower the success the smaller the crowds. People on the whole want their team to be winners. You on the other hand seem indifferent to success or failure.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

SIBARITE wrote:As usual you miss the point.
You couldn't find the point if you were sitting on it
SIBARITE wrote: Your own agenda is not everyones.
Well, obviously
SIBARITE wrote:The point was that the extra expense would deter fans from attending the games of a failing side.
What extra expense? It provides an option that has other uses to generate revenue as has been explicitly said - talk about missing the point
SIBARITE wrote: This is amply proved in any professional team sport. The lower the success the smaller the crowds. People on the whole want their team to be winners.
Well, obviously
SIBARITE wrote:You on the other hand seem indifferent to success or failure.
You get more and more ridiculous
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

"What extra expense? It provides an option that has other uses to generate revenue as has been explicitly said - talk about missing the point" Doh! The extra expense of an hotel. This to a travelling fan is important. Especially if the team is losing. Not to worry your alright. Pull the ladder up.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

SIBARITE wrote:"What extra expense? It provides an option that has other uses to generate revenue as has been explicitly said - talk about missing the point" Doh! The extra expense of an hotel. This to a travelling fan is important. Especially if the team is losing. Not to worry your alright. Pull the ladder up.
You're really not following this thread at all are you?
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

h's dad wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:"What extra expense? It provides an option that has other uses to generate revenue as has been explicitly said - talk about missing the point" Doh! The extra expense of an hotel. This to a travelling fan is important. Especially if the team is losing. Not to worry your alright. Pull the ladder up.
You're really not following this thread at all are you?
Wrong. I'm not following you.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

God help Saracens if they stop winning trophies then. They hardly get anyone turn up now. If people stop going, they'll only have one man and his dog turn up!

If any Tigers fans stop coming because we stop winning trophies, then they are not proper supporters, no matter what anyone says!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

ellis9 wrote:God help Saracens if they stop winning trophies then. They hardly get anyone turn up now. If people stop going, they'll only have one man and his dog turn up!
You may want to discount their numbers because of their mercenary approach and discount packing of third party stadia but their headline numbers are pretty strong
ellis9 wrote:If any Tigers fans stop coming because we stop winning trophies, then they are not proper supporters, no matter what anyone says!
I'm sure there are a few. Others clearly think there are many. Perhaps others don't understand the concept of loyalty and think most are like them.