Post by ellis9 »

Micky Young of Newcastle
Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Ex Tigers Premiership Squad 2016/17

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote:Micky Young of Newcastle
Or as the commentators on Sunday were at pains to point out - now 'Michael Young'.

Perhaps he doesn't want to be associated with his Leicester days anymore...
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

He was known as Micky Young when he was at Bath at when he was previously at Newcastle. What is it with you Roly? Why would he not want to be associated with Tigers?
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote:He was known as Micky Young when he was at Bath at when he was previously at Newcastle. What is it with you Roly? Why would he not want to be associated with Tigers?
I don't know, perhaps he is all growed up now?
Last edited by Roly on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Ex Tigers hooker Charlie Clare (24), now at Saints, played this season off the bench against Bath and Sarries.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:Ex Tigers hooker Charlie Clare (24), now at Saints, played this season off the bench against Bath and Sarries.
Good shout, he looked pretty handy too.

I'll never forgive whoever it was to let Waldrom, Salvi & Parling go.

But, I'm in a minority on here.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Roly, You are NOT in a minority on here because of that statement!!!
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Roly wrote:
Norfolk & Goode wrote:Ex Tigers hooker Charlie Clare (24), now at Saints, played this season off the bench against Bath and Sarries.

Rubbish memory Roly. Salvi decided to leave, didn't get the contract he wanted elsewhere so "asked" to stay at Tigers. Replacement had already been signed and no room in budget for Salvi, so off he went.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Roly wrote:

Salvi hasn't exactly done much since he left?? Parling I thought we were right to let go for the money but Kitch hasn't kicked on in the way I thought he would..

And Waldrom didn't fit our style when he left..but yes I missed old TTTE but he isn't what we need now either
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
Roly wrote:

Salvi hasn't exactly done much since he left?? Parling I thought we were right to let go for the money but Kitch hasn't kicked on in the way I thought he would..

And Waldrom didn't fit our style when he left..but yes I missed old TTTE but he isn't what we need now either
I suppose I was just blinded by TTTE being the top try scorer in the AP last year.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I suppose I was just blinded by TTTE being the top try scorer in the AP last year.
Spot on.

He has been widely quoted as not enjoying his rugby under our DOR.
Fascinating that two other stars of the pack went with him.

It's horlix to quote contracts. We all know why they wanted away and it wasn't the
style of the shirts.
A life long Tiger
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Smudge wrote:
Spot on.

It's horlix to quote contracts. We all know why they wanted away and it wasn't the
style of the shirts.
Lets put it out there. Cockers relationship with individual players if not the dressing room is poor. His ranting and raving without reason robs him of any gravitas that IMHO a DOR should have. Dai Young, Rob Baxter, Dean Richards, Mark McCall all have it. If the players don't respect the Coaching staff then its never going to work. It will not happen until the end of the season but tough calls have to be made and then we can move on.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Smudge wrote:
Spot on.

It's horlix to quote contracts. We all know why they wanted away and it wasn't the style of the shirts.
Interesting. I sit next to an ex-Tigers and England player. When I asked him about TTTE's departure, he said that TTTE had wanted to stay. Like any player, he was not happy at not being picked.

As for being top try scorer, as has been pointed out many, many times, a large number of them were down to him being the ball carrier at the back of a rolling maul. Yes, there is a skill in knowing when to hang on and when to make a break for it, but it doesn't make him a better no. 8. In the same way that scoring tries in a similar way didn't make Neil Back a better no. 7.

BTW, believe it or not, I was and am a TTTE fan. Unfortunately he played a rather open style of rugby the season before the rest of the team did.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I have never spoken to Dai Young, Rob Baxter or Mark McCall but Deano is one for whom I have a great admiration, having said that several players of his time in charge had a problem with him, some stayed, some departed. Players always think that they should be selected and some think that the team should play differently, very few go on to be successful coaches. Players reaching the end of their careers rarely recognise the fact until they find themselves playing at a lower level and struggling. Cockers support for injured players particularly ones whose playing time ended abruptly (Brett Deacon, Richard Blaze, Anthony Allen) must earn him credit in the dressing room. Players I have spoken to are largely happy and have respect for Cocker, there have been some in the past who felt they had a grievance but lets face it who of us has not disagreed with our boss at some time.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

SIBARITE wrote:Lets put it out there. Cockers relationship with individual players if not the dressing room is poor.
As someone who does not read player autobiographies and does not have contact with the squad, can you provide me some factual evidence of this for the last 2-3 seasons? This is a genuine request.