Teams Up v Newcastle (A)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers away to Falcons...

Post by strawclearer »

JP Doyle is 'Sir' so let's have no back-slappin', bottom-squeezing, high-fiving, shoulder-grabbin', lip smacking, prop-motivating, good buzzing, cool-talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, Cockers-impressing, loud-hollerin' Tigers! :smt025
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Martin Crowson tweets "Interesting chat to Matt Smith today who was adamant that the worrying amount of points conceded recently was down to individual errors and not down to problems with defensive systems under Scott Hansen. Said squad was having a tasty session this arvo to sort it out."

Suspect we're talking 'Gordon Ramsey tasty' as opposed to 'The Great British Bake Off'! Roast 'Tweet Tweets' for Sunday lunch? :smt016
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

strawclearer wrote:JP Doyle is 'Sir' so let's have no back-slappin', bottom-squeezing, high-fiving, shoulder-grabbin', lip smacking, prop-motivating, good buzzing, cool-talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, Cockers-impressing, loud-hollerin' Tigers! :smt025
I wanna know what you've been smokin' lol
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Will Veaniu be fit?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

strawclearer wrote:JP Doyle is 'Sir' so let's have no back-slappin', bottom-squeezing, high-fiving, shoulder-grabbin', lip smacking, prop-motivating, good buzzing, cool-talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, Cockers-impressing, loud-hollerin' Tigers! :smt025
Having watched Rugby Tonight Extra, he said he did not have a problem with what they did, it was doing it right by the opposition players that was the issue.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
Having watched Rugby Tonight Extra, he said he did not have a problem with what they did, it was doing it right by the opposition players that was the issue.
J P Doyle ought to get a life. The Saracens players were not breaking any rules, just because he thinks its inappropriate, doesn't mean he can stop player celebration because he thinks it might upset the opposition.

That's why Saracens are the benchmark. They want every play, every point, every match so badly. It means everything to them. Its passion and commitment and they all work so hard for each other.

I for one wouldn't mind our team showing a bit of the same energy.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

strawclearer wrote:The sooner we put the Wasps match behind us, the happier I'll be so...

We need more passion and 'enforcement' in the pack (so I'd start with Genge, Barrow and Williams) and a play-maker / 2nd receiver at 12 (Owen Williams for me). I'm assuming Tuilagi and Barrow will be fit but not Veainu...

1) Genge
2) Youngs
3) Cole
4) Barrow
5) Kitchener
6) Williams
7) O'Connor
8) McCaffrey
9) Youngs
10) Burns
11) Betham
12) Williams
13) Tuilagi
14) Thompstone
15) JPP

16) Ayerza
17) Mcguigan
18) Mulipola
19) Fitzgerald
20) Evans
21) Harrison
22) Smith
23) Hamilton

This has to be a 5-pointer!
Two teams who were happy after Round 1 and distraught after round 2. Two teams who need to play a lot better, show more application and dedication if they are to achieve their potential. Both sets of players should be truly embarrassed by their performances last week.

Tigers should beat Falcons. I know their fans insist we underestimate their players, but there are very few I would take and put into the Tigers' starting XV. However play as they have been and Falcons could very easily get another TBP win.

As well as looking long and hard at himself, I hope RC has fired a rocket up some backsides this week in training. There are far too many players coasting. Both hookers, Ayerza, Fitzgerald, Tait, Betham all for starters. Personally I hope we see Thacker and Evans return to the squad to give Tigers an injection of the explosive up front. Slater will miss the game which will be a loss as he's been very good whilst others have laboured. Hopefully Kitchener will get a chance to start with Barrow.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I like the sound of Kitch and Barrow, nice balance to gives us the lineout and the grunt in the set piece, get those two elements right and a win is there for the taking. Just need the backs to protect the ball a bit more and that will come with practice on the field.
COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrrsssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

Roly wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:
J P Doyle ought to get a life. The Saracens players were not breaking any rules, just because he thinks its inappropriate, doesn't mean he can stop player celebration because he thinks it might upset the opposition.

That's why Saracens are the benchmark. They want every play, every point, every match so badly. It means everything to them. Its passion and commitment and they all work so hard for each other.

I for one wouldn't mind our team showing a bit of the same energy.
:smt041 Agreed
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
TTRITH wrote:Bateman doesn't give much else bar scrummaging.
What!? Have you watch him play for Tigers? Probably the most mobile prop around the park (other than a rampaging Genge), it's excellent hands too; just like he had last season at hooker. He was Popping up at first receiver last weekend with a beauty of a pass that set up McCaffrey's (just about supported) break into the Glaws 22.

As for dropping McCaffrey: considering the performance of the first too weekends, it'd be hard to argue dropping one of your standout 2 or 3 performers.
Completely agree. Bateman is up there with the most underrated in the squad. Rarely let us down last year and provided much needed impact from the bench. Remember Racing? We were awful until he came on.

As for Balmain, this is his 'make or break' season. So much opportunity last year and never hit the levels he should be capable of.

A straight selction contest between those two and Bateman wins every time at present.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Team:

Leicester Tigers (v Newcastle Falcons, away, Sunday 3pm)
15 Mathew Tait (c)
14 Telusa Veainu
13 Peter Betham
12 Owen Williams
11 JP Pietersen
10 Freddie Burns
9 Ben Youngs
1 Ellis Genge
2 George McGuigan
3 Dan Cole
4 Mike Fitzgerald
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Mike Williams
7 Brendon O'Connor
8 Luke Hamilton

Replacements
16 Tom Youngs
17 Marcos Ayerza
18 Greg Bateman
19 Ed Slater
20 Will Evans
21 Jono Kitto
22 Jack Roberts
23 Adam Thompstone
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Good looking team will be interesting to see how Hamilton goes at 8..weather looking good I think this team will go out and make a statement :smt023

Also interesting to see Slater on the bench given his dislike for the surface and McGuigan will be an interesting test for him

Bateman is one of the best carrying forwards we have....if he can just carry on improving his scrummaging (as I am sure he will having moved to 3 from 2 this season) he is head and shoulders above Balmain for me...

I think this will be Balmains last season with us unfortunately he hasn't progressed as hoped..
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Smart call starting with McGuigan, who will be experienced in scrummaging on that plastic monstrosity.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Newcastle Falcons team v Leicester Tigers (Sunday, 3pm, Kingston Park Stadium)

15 Simon Hammersley

14 Vereniki Goneva

13 Dominic Waldouck

12 Juan Pablo Socino

11 Sinoti Sinoti

10 Mike Delany

9 Sonatane Takulua

1 Sam Lockwood

2 Scott Lawson

3 Jon Welsh

4 Calum Green

5 Evan Olmstead

6 Mark Wilson

7 Will Welch (captain)

8 Ally Hogg

Replacements

16 Ben Sowrey

17 Rob Vickers

18 Paddy Ryan

19 Will Witty

20 Dan Temm

21 Michael Young

22 Joel Hodgson

23 Belisario Agulla
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:Smart call starting with McGuigan, who will be experienced in scrummaging on that plastic monstrosity.
Thacker would still have been a better option methinks.