Should they be in trouble or not?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Should they be in trouble or not?

Post by ellis9 »

I've just seen comments on Twitter from some Saracens players criticising JP Doyle after the game with Exeter. After winning a penalty from a ruck, quite a few Saracens players came sprinting over to the ruck and they all started celebrating. Doyle then called Brad Barritt over and said he doesn't appreciate that when Exeter players are on the floor, that what they have done is acceptable and to make sure they don't do it again.

If Saracens players had criticised the ref there and then, they would have been penalised and possibly sin binned. Some of them have now criticised the ref on Twitter. Should appropriate action be taken against the players?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Should they be in trouble or not?

Post by sapajo »

ellis9 wrote:I've just seen comments on Twitter from some Saracens players criticising JP Doyle after the game with Exeter. After winning a penalty from a ruck, quite a few Saracens players came sprinting over to the ruck and they all started celebrating. Doyle then called Brad Barritt over and said he doesn't appreciate that when Exeter players are on the floor, that what they have done is acceptable and to make sure they don't do it again.

If Saracens players had criticised the ref there and then, they would have been penalised and possibly sin binned. Some of them have now criticised the ref on Twitter. Should appropriate action be taken against the players?
As you stated above because JP said what they (the saracens players) had done was acceptable, then by definition they have done nothing wrong so should not be in trouble :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Maybe you're still half asleep?

I have put that Doyle said he doesn't appreciate what they did is acceptable meaning he doesn't think it's acceptable. :smt023
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ellis9 wrote:Maybe you're still half asleep?

I have put that Doyle said he doesn't appreciate what they did is acceptable meaning he doesn't think it's acceptable. :smt023
Thanks for the clarity :smt001
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

ellis9 wrote:I've just seen comments on Twitter from some Saracens players criticising JP Doyle after the game with Exeter. After winning a penalty from a ruck, quite a few Saracens players came sprinting over to the ruck and they all started celebrating. Doyle then called Brad Barritt over and said he doesn't appreciate that when Exeter players are on the floor, that what they have done is acceptable and to make sure they don't do it again.

I reckon we should start playing better rather than hoping for some suspensions for Sarries players if we want to beat them
I'm not cynical just experienced
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I didn't mention it in the hope it would benefit us, I mentioned it because you cannot criticise a ref during the game, quite rightly, so why should criticising him publicly (which is probably worse) not get punished?
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

All very interesting, given what I have just read by Stuart Barnes on JPD as follows :

""Next penalty, the guy goes in the bin" . So JP Doyle warned Saracens in the 70th minute of yesterday's game. Don't you just love a referee ready to exercise his authority ?
............ They (Saracens) were as much in control of the referee as they were last season's Premiership runners-up and the wind that blows at Sandy Park.
Doyle just didn't know it. That is how street smart Saracens are. In the final 11 minutes of this all enveloping performance, the champions, the team on their final warning, proceeded to concede not one solitary penalty. They do not give away penalties on a whim, but when it is deemed essential..............."
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

chewbacca wrote:

I reckon we should start playing better rather than hoping for some suspensions for Sarries players if we want to beat them
Tigers are going to have to start playing better if they want to beat the likes of Worcester, Bristol and Falcons, let alone Saracens.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Roly and chewbaca, what are your thoughts on the original question though? This isn't the topic to discuss our performance, there are other threads already on that.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Roly wrote:
chewbacca wrote:

Tigers are going to have to start playing better if they want to beat the likes of Worcester, Bristol and Falcons, let alone Saracens.
To be fair, I think we'll beat Worcester, Bristol and Falcons, both home and away! :smt002

I'm inclined to take the view that players criticising the referee post match is bringing the game into disrepute and should be punished. At the very least the club should fine them for unsporting behaviour - however rubbish the refereeing decisions may have been.

:smt018 :smt018 :smt018
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

ellis9 wrote:Roly and chewbaca, what are your thoughts on the original question though? This isn't the topic to discuss our performance, there are other threads already on that.
Hi Ellis9. Personally I dont think it appropriate for supporters of a team not involved in the particular contest to comment on players behaviour per se where it is not overtly foul play. Equally I dislike applauding and cheering the opposition when they make an error rather than we achieve some superiority by dint of superior play, something not uncommon these days. Strangely enough I am also willing to applaud excellence in play whichever side executes it. Tragically at this particular time Sarries seem able to exhibit excellent control and judgement, along with a good infrastructure and coaching, which probably results in their league position.
I'm not cynical just experienced
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

For me there are 4 things that need to be curtailed / eliminated from the game:

1. Players criticising the referee or other officials - sanction should be instant sin bin for all involved
2. The constant whingeing in the referee's ear that some players seem to indulge throughout matches - ref should tell offenders to stop with threat of immediate sin bin if they don't and if after sin binning they return and start whingeing again instant red
3. Players asking for the ref to go to the TMO because they think a decision is wrong. Going to the TMO is a decision for the ref alone unless, of course, the TMO has spotted something worthy of review

These first 3 are all covered by the fact that it has always been accepted that a team captain may ask the ref to clarify a decision and it may be that Rugby should follow the example of other sports eg cricket where reviews can be requested by the team captain. If Rugby does adopt this the number of reviews should be limited to a sensible amount eg two per team per half.

4. "Congratulating" opposition players on their mistakes. This is the worst sort of non-sportmanship and needs to be eradicated from the game.

In the past Rugby has prided itself on respect for the officials and opposition and this is one of the reasons I have followed it for many years. The fact that the game has gone professional should make no difference to this.

Some posters may agree or disagree with me on these issues and I respect all their views equally which I believe should be the way we conduct ourselves on this forum and as Rugby supporters generally.

Incidentally my views expressed above will not prevent me as a supporter giving the match officials some friendly advice from the terrace when I feel it is necessary :smt005
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Clearly, yes. Shouting in the heat of the moment because you believe the decision to be wrong may draw a sanction; criticism when all have had a chance to cool down (literally) and considerable time has passed is reprehensible. One of Saracens much vaunted new virtues is "humility". hahahahhahahaha.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Going back to the OP, I believe that they should be censored. We are losing sight of what Rugby is about and that is the Spirit of the game. I believe that covers conduct, both on and off the field, respect for officials, players and spectators.
Saracens have recently thought they are above censure and do not, in my view, follow the Spirit. They have brought an arrogance to the game, not needed, as they are the best team in England.
Well done JP for pulling them into line.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Going back to the OP, I believe that they should be censored. We are losing sight of what Rugby is about and that is the Spirit of the game. I believe that covers conduct, both on and off the field, respect for officials, players and spectators.
Saracens have recently thought they are above censure and do not, in my view, follow the Spirit. They have brought an arrogance to the game, not needed, as they are the best team in England.
Well done JP for pulling them into line.
:smt023 +1
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!