Lions 2017

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2017

Post by tigerburnie »

The Lions is a minority in Europe as very few have been able to afford to see them play. Very important before the advent of the AI's when we saw our lads against the southern hemisphere sides, now that happens every year. This has sadly been diminished to a cash cow for the likes of New Zealand who would possibly be bankrupt without the revenue the Lions tour raises for them.
The players seem to still want to go, but I can see the day when some may decide it's just one trip too far and decline going. A great place for a player to put themselves in the shop window, but as has been said, it could also be detrimental if they get injured.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

"The Lions' jersey is the best-selling shirt in world rugby and the tourists have become such a significant commercial brand that the huge profits from this tour will sustain the ARU for years."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/ ... ew-zealand

A family friend who works on Commercial team for Lions told me the stat regarding best selling shirt in sport.

Cant find any figures for the amount of people who have SKy sports vs BT sport. However, sky appears to be as popular as normal TV whereas BT sport is a lot more niche.

You are all deluded if you think the majority of rugby watching public cares about the Prem. More people watch the Varsity rugby match at Twickenham than pretty much any Prem fixture and tickets are £38 for poor student rugby!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

darganj wrote:"The Lions' jersey is the best-selling shirt in world rugby and the tourists have become such a significant commercial brand that the huge profits from this tour will sustain the ARU for years."

A family friend who works on Commercial team for Lions told me the stat regarding best selling shirt in sport.

Cant find any figures for the amount of people who have SKy sports vs BT sport. However, sky appears to be as popular as normal TV whereas BT sport is a lot more niche.

You are all deluded if you think the majority of rugby watching public cares about the Prem. More people watch the Varsity rugby match at Twickenham than pretty much any Prem fixture and tickets are £38 for poor student rugby!
Weapons grade Bollix.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

darganj wrote:"The Lions' jersey is the best-selling shirt in world rugby and the tourists have become such a significant commercial brand that the huge profits from this tour will sustain the ARU for years."

As of 2015 (see what I did there?) the Team USA rugby shirt is the best selling jersey in the world based on sales. The Lions isn't in the top 10.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Where is the link?

I would be very impressed if USA Rugby sold more shirts than Lions, fair play to them if they have.

So last year, roughly 28,000 people attended Varsity Match rugby vs welford road capacity of 25kish?

Varsity match football attracted about 3-4k vs Old Trafford of about 80k.

We can see which sport has fully supported club level!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

darganj wrote:Where is the link?

I would be very impressed if USA Rugby sold more shirts than Lions, fair play to them if they have.

So last year, roughly 28,000 people attended Varsity Match rugby vs welford road capacity of 25kish?

28 000 attended the Varsity Match as opposed to 25 000 (ish) at Welford Rd.

Well, no sh*t Sherlock. Twickenham has an over 80 000 capacity, which allows the Varsity match to attract a larger gate than any AP club. I suspect if Welford Rd had a larger capacity it 'could' attract in excess of 30 000 for some matches.

Just out of interest, what do you think the gate was for the LDH last year?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Previous thread...

http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... ns&start=0

The Lions is a success commercially and popular with supporters and with players at this current time. It's going nowhere. End of story.

Roly doesn't like it so anytime it's mentioned will kick off.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Still waiting for the link to the USA shirt sales................
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Roly wrote:

Well, no sh*t Sherlock. Twickenham has an over 80 000 capacity, which allows the Varsity match to attract a larger gate than any AP club. I suspect if Welford Rd had a larger capacity it 'could' attract in excess of 30 000 for some matches.

Didnt you say on a previous thread that Welford Road wouldnt sell out more than twice this year.

I imagine they would sell 30k if they played the Lions and had the capacity.

You never have a consistent argument between threads
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote:Previous thread...

http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... ns&start=0

The Lions is a success commercially and popular with supporters and with players at this current time. It's going nowhere. End of story.

Roly doesn't like it so anytime it's mentioned will kick off.
Yes, of course. 90% of the rugby watching public want to see less AP matches (or couldn't care less about domestic rugby), the Lions shirt is the best selling sports shirt in the world and all the pigs are fed, watered and ready to fly.

Apple sell a lot of :censored: to fan-boys, although it may make them commercially successful, doesn't make their products particularly desirable to a majority of consumers.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

To be selected for a Lions tour has to be the target of all the top British and Irish players and to be picked for the test team would the pinnacle of their rugby career.
Lions tours are once every four years, which in my opinion is manageable and I for one hope that they continue. I was privileged to go to South Africa in 1997 and among the games I saw was the second test in Durban that clinched the series - undoubtedly the best match that I have ever watched live.
For the fans in the host country, it is an exceptional even, and for me and the other Lions supporters, they bent over backwards with their hospitality and warmth.
It is true that this tour's opening match is too soon after the end of our domestic season, and that should be carefully looked at for future tours.
OK, the demands on players today are high but no player would ever dream of turning down an invitation to wear that famous red jersey.
Semper in excretia
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

darganj wrote:Still waiting for the link to the USA shirt sales................
There you go - and that took about 10 seconds.

http://365.worldrugbyshop.com/top-10-se ... arch-2015/
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

darganj wrote:
Roly wrote:

Didnt you say on a previous thread that Welford Road wouldnt sell out more than twice this year.

I imagine they would sell 30k if they played the Lions and had the capacity.

You never have a consistent argument between threads
And the Varsity match attracts 28 000 once a year ( a match you used as an example).

Never mind consistency between threads, some coherence from you would be helpful.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Roly wrote:
darganj wrote:Still waiting for the link to the USA shirt sales................
There you go - and that took about 10 seconds.

http://365.worldrugbyshop.com/top-10-se ... arch-2015/
hahahahahahaha

That list obviously just includes countries and not the Lions and its just sales off that website/store.

Are you a complete muppet? It doesnt include England, do you think Italy sell more of their national shirts than England?!

Most England rugby fans dont buy their blimming rugby shirt off worldrugbyshop.com

You are a muppet.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

I wonder just who is the most 'challenged'..

On the other hand, I haven't claimed that 90% of the rugby public want the internationals and Lions tours and less AP games, or that the Varsity match is more popular than AP rugby because in one fixture a year, they managed to almost quarter fill Twickenham.