Lions 2017

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

grobyman

Lions 2017

Post by grobyman »

I know it's only the start of the new season and a lot of water has yet to pass under the bridge, but how many of the current squad would make the Lions selection?

Looking at present international experience (and those in favour or not, eg Tom Youngs), I would guess that Ben Youngs, Dan Cole are potentially in the running; Manu if he returns to form of 2/3 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Ellis Genge as an outside shot if he continues on his current trajectory, sees a call up. Beyond that, I can't see us being too troubled and the incredulous scheduling may impact more on Saracens than us. A mixed blessing!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2017

Post by Noddy555 »

The thing that concerns me most is not who is appointed as the coach although I do agree with the appointment of Warren Gatland, is the provisional gruelling schedule of matches, after a busy Aviva and Pro 12 season, and to ask them to play their first match less than 10 days after the Aviva Final is ludicrous. I have a view that the tour shouldn't start until at least the end of June even if that means cancelling a couple of the provincial matches. No Wonder that we haven't won since 1971 with a side that contained the Welsh wizards of Barry John and Gareth Edwards and was led by that rock Willy John McBride, if that team had had to endure the Aviva season the result may well have been different.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Hopefully, none.

Scrap the Lions, this is 2016, not the 1970's.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
DC1989

Post by DC1989 »

What difference does that make?
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

Noddy555 wrote: No Wonder that we haven't won since 1971 with a side that contained the Welsh wizards of Barry John and Gareth Edwards and was led by that rock Willy John McBride, if that team had had to endure the Aviva season the result may well have been different.
John Dawes captained the 71 Lions to New Zealand, Willy John captained the 74 Lions to South Africa. Unfortunately given the awful scheduling I can't see us winning the series next year.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Roly wrote:Hopefully, none.

I hate agreeing with Roly.
Ordinarily, I'd be borderline ambivalent but with Gatland at the helm I can scarcely be bothered with it.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Roly wrote:Hopefully, none.

+1 :smt023

While the Lions Tour was/is/maybe seen by the players as another high point of their career, IMO it does not, as implied by Roly, appear to be the draw of the amateur game it once was?

The demands of the professional game takes so much out of players these days so to have a tour of this length is IMO barking!!

I for one would like to see the Lions Tour done away with purely on the grounds of allowing our NH players time to rest and be fully fit for the next season that we as supporters pay to see.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Currently, Tigers players play 22 Aviva Premiership games, at least the pool stages in Europe, the Autumn internationals, the Six Nations and, every 2 years either a Lions tour or a World Cup. Every 2 years there is basically a 50 week season.
When Brad Thorn came it was pointed out that he had played 400 first class games. Given his age, I thought that averaged about 20 a year.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Old Hob wrote:Currently, Tigers players play 22 Aviva Premiership games, at least the pool stages in Europe, the Autumn internationals, the Six Nations and, every 2 years either a Lions tour or a World Cup. Every 2 years there is basically a 50 week season.
When Brad Thorn came it was pointed out that he had played 400 first class games. Given his age, I thought that averaged about 20 a year.
Did that include the rugby league games?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think that for the players the Lions remains very important, however for the clubs it is seen as a drain on the players who are likely to be at best exhausted and at worst injured. Would Cole have been out for so long without the Lions? Would Manu have suffered the pectoral injury?

You can see why the clubs are unhappy at the schedule which may see some players playing an additional 5 or more games on top of the regular season which is more than they did playing for England down under this summer.

There seem to be more games on this tour than those recently which may explain some of the clubs' discontent.
Last edited by mol2 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

The Lions shirt is the most bought sporting shirt in the world, it sells more than the Real Madrid shirt.

Something of that commercial importance and scale is here to stay.

Also its :censored: fun and entertaining to watch.

Club rugby will be the thing that gets trimmed down, 90% of the rugby public want the internationals and Lions tours and less Prem games. You have to remember on these forums and who regularly attend Prem games are a real minority.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

darganj wrote:The Lions shirt is the most bought sporting shirt in the world, it sells more than the Real Madrid shirt.

Club rugby will be the thing that gets trimmed down, 90% of the rugby public want the internationals and Lions tours and less Prem games. You have to remember on these forums and who regularly attend Prem games are a real minority.
Would you care to substantiate that? I suspect you're dealing in speculation.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Roly wrote:
darganj wrote:The Lions shirt is the most bought sporting shirt in the world, it sells more than the Real Madrid shirt.

Well when I look at all the people I know who watch rugby, I would say about 10% of them watch Prem games.

Most of them only watch the AIs, Six Nations and Lions tours. I bet most of them couldn't tell you who was in the Prem final last year.

I reckon 90% of men, women and children who watch rugby don't watch Prem rugby regularly if at all.

Isn't all Prem rugby on BT Sport? I only have BT sport to watch Prem rugby, I doubt many of the people I know do that, I reckon there are only a few.

Do you really think most people who watch rugby (remember we are including men, women and kids who watch 6 nations on BBC) care about the Prem?
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Club rugby will be the thing that gets trimmed down, 90% of the rugby public want the internationals and Lions tours and less Prem games. You have to remember on these forums and who regularly attend Prem games are a real minority.[/quote]

What planet are you on - 90% want less prem games and more internationals _ I await with interest to being the only one in ten who challenge you on this - garbage!!!

Yes I like the internationals and go regularly, yes I love the Lions tours and will be going again and would not want to see either diminished ( except perhaps the extra Autumn international which was put in for the opening of the "new stand" at Twickenham). Would I miss the summer tours - probably but they could be shorter which would help player burn out.
Hehehehehehehehe
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

darganj wrote:
Roly wrote:

Well when I look at all the people I know who watch rugby, I would say about 10% of them watch Prem games.

Most of them only watch the AIs, Six Nations and Lions tours. I bet most of them couldn't tell you who was in the Prem final last year.

I reckon 90% of men, women and children who watch rugby don't watch Prem rugby regularly if at all.

Isn't all Prem rugby on BT Sport? I only have BT sport to watch Prem rugby, I doubt many of the people I know do that, I reckon there are only a few.

Do you really think most people who watch rugby (remember we are including men, women and kids who watch 6 nations on BBC) care about the Prem?
And the vast majority of England's internationals - and the Lions is on Sky, so not quite sure that particular argument stacks up. The rest is apparently your opinion.

Oh, and the Lions jersey isn't even in the top 10 best selling jerseys in rugby, let alone your assertion that it out-sells shirts from the global sport that is football.