8)McCaffrey
9)Harrison
10)Burns
11)Pietersen
12)Smith
13)Betham
14)Thompstone
15)Veainu

Replacements: Genge, McGuigan, Bateman, Fitzgerald, Hamilton/Evans, Youngs, Manu, Tait
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Wasps

Post by sapajo »

As much as I would like to see Fitzgerald and Williams starting, I believe their returns from injury will be managed via the bench.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

All very interesting agree with most, Cole to start, Harrison on the bench (for safety dual cover) and one of Fitzgerald or Williams on the bench for Evans...

Smith to start as Manu still appears to need someone in his ear saying "hold" "hold" "hold"

For me the question is whether either JPP OR Veainou have a kicking FB game as if so tait would be lucky to be on the bench.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

To me, whoever allocates the refs is putting unfair pressure on GG, in this case, and any other ref in a similar situation. No matter how impartial they are, if they have to adjudicate a contentious decision, they cannot win. They will either be accused of bias (if they decide for "their" team) or over compensating for any perceived bias (if they decide against). Really clever, not. :smt018
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Veianu
Betham
Manu
Smith
Pietersen
Burns
Harrison
Ayerza
Youngs
Cole
Kitchener
Barrow
Evans
O'Connor
McCaffrey

McGuigan
Genge
Bateman
Fitzgerald
M. Williams
Youngs
Tait
Thompstone
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I agree with your team JS. Manu at 13 not on the bench as some are advocating. He needs game time in his best position.
Soggypitch
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

So my opinion on Manu is that he is a better 13 for Leicester whether England choose to agree or not. The Premiership defences are weaker between 12&13 13&wing than the are between 10&12 due to the abundance of decent 7's in the league. Just about every time Manu had the ball in hand last week there were 2-3 players tackling him, often including kvesic. Manu is always better with a play maker on his inside to put him into space so I would be tempted with

1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Barrow
5. Slater
6. Williams
7. O'Connor
8. McCaffrey
9. Youngs (still the better game manager)
10. Burns
11. Pieterson
12. Tait
13. Tuilagi
14. Betham
15. Vieanu

16. Thacker
17. Genge
18. Mulipola/Bateman
19. Kitchener
20. Evans
21. Harrison
22. Smith
23. Thompstone
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The reality is players like Manu will always find they have 2 or 3 players tackling him and will appear to do little.

That's as much his role as bulldozing through defences - whilst he is occupying the defence, holes open up for everyone else irrespective of he touches the ball. He only gets the glory when teams decide they don't need to mark him more closely than the average centre.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Noddy555 wrote:We shouldn't be concerned with who's reffing the match we should be concerned with Tigers performance. Judging from last Fridays game their are still 3 perennial problems:-

1. Powder puff tackling particularly from our backs.

2. Defensive positioning again from the backs but also the forwards too.

3. Inabilities to retrieve the ball in the loose, if Harry Thacker is fit I'd play him somewhere in the back row just for his capabilities in the loose. Oh for the days of Julian Salvi.
Absolutely agree.

Who is reffing should be irrelevant if the team removes the potential for indifferent officiating from the equation.

FWIW, I thought Garner had a good game last week, but I do agree with others here that some of his decisions are questionable.

However, if you're going forward, and you're nice and tight, he wont have anything to get wrong. We can only hope that Tigers start the game v Wasps as they finished v Glaws, otherwise it will be embarrassing.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Soggypitch wrote:I agree with your team JS. Manu at 13 not on the bench as some are advocating. He needs game time in his best position.
Alright, but the first time he runs out of the line to miss a tackle, he should be substituted and shot.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

We must put out our best team against Wasps and get the flankers to take care of Cypriani and Gopperth who have two of the smartest brains in British Rugby. We must also tackle properly and compete well at the breakdown, otherwise this could be a whopping defeat.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Noddy555 wrote:We must put out our best team against Wasps and get the flankers to take care of Cypriani and Gopperth who have two of the smartest brains in British Rugby. We must also tackle properly and compete well at the breakdown, otherwise this could be a whopping defeat.
When Cipriani got Gopperth (and later in the game, Wade) running, they were destructive. Only the tightest defence is good enough. Which is why I'd bench Tuilagi if Smith is available.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Advantage of playing Manu at 12 is that you can get him running down the 10/12 channel. DC is a great cover defender but he doesn't like big guys running straight at him. JG is solid but not the big 12 defender that a lot of teams have. Manu could have some joy down this line on Saturday and DC will be less inclined to take the ball to the line when attacking (which is where he is most dangerous) if Manu is standing opposite.

Long term I think Manu much prefers 13. He gets more space, more time to build up speed but he is away from the better defenders. 12 is a strong position in the AP this year and includes some big guys. Being closer to the ruck/maul/scrum also means that back row players can get to him quicker and are hitting him on the angle.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Roly wrote:Who is reffing should be irrelevant if the team removes the potential for indifferent officiating from the equation.
Roly, I never had you down as a hopeless romantic. There are 2 teams of (most of the time) 15 imperfect players, with opposing aims, who play with a ball designed to behave awkwardly. Ignoring other variables such as the weather, there are so many things out of an individual team's control. No way can they stop marginal calls arising thus leaving scope for indifferent officiating.

Marginal calls may not arise, but not because anybody deliberately set out to make sure there weren't any - they can try and reduce the possibility, but not eradicate them completely.