Tigers v Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SIBARITE

Re: Tigers v Wasps

Post by SIBARITE »

ellis9 wrote:Could you enlighten us on what mistakes the club made and not learned from?
Keeping Cockers!
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

So which of you unhappy people (posing as supporters) want Tigers sold to a big cash buyer?
In this thread there is talk of mistakes and in another thread rumours as to why someone went else where. Why wont you substantiate what you post?
Too many people not being plain and open and just posting as trolls?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

SIBARITE wrote:
ellis9 wrote:Could you enlighten us on what mistakes the club made and not learned from?
Keeping Cockers!
Cockers has two years left on his contract. When he signed the long term contract we were attempting to keep him from heading to Clermont. As such I doubt he's on a pittance. It would therefore be expensive to not keep Cockers. Whilst we are not fulfilling out potential we are consistently in the top four so it's not exactly grounds for spending big to get rid of him when a replacement would also be expensive.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

sam16111986 wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:
Keeping Cockers!
Cockers has two years left on his contract. When he signed the long term contract we were attempting to keep him from heading to Clermont. As such I doubt he's on a pittance. It would therefore be expensive to not keep Cockers. Whilst we are not fulfilling out potential we are consistently in the top four so it's not exactly grounds for spending big to get rid of him when a replacement would also be expensive.

So we will accept "mediocrity" or falling standards for the next two years? Cockers is quoted that "You can't accept mediocrity" We see agents putting out rumours in all sports to put pressure on teams to up their offer. It looks like Cockers agent played a blinder.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mediocrity would be mid table. We've been consistently above average. We'd all prefer the team to excel but changing DOR does not guarantee that (have you seen Quins this season?). Add to that the club are already undertaking several projects and trying to keep up with the increased salary cap, perhaps there isn't the money to consider paying two DORs for the next two seasons (paying off Cockers and then signing another).

We've invested in Mauger and a new look squad and game plan. I'm happy to give them another season to see what they can manage. After that Cockers only has one deal and options become available.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

sam16111986 wrote:Mediocrity would be mid table. We've been consistently above average. We'd all prefer the team to excel but changing DOR does not guarantee that (have you seen Quins this season?). Add to that the club are already undertaking several projects and trying to keep up with the increased salary cap, perhaps there isn't the money to consider paying two DORs for the next two seasons (paying off Cockers and then signing another).

We've invested in Mauger and a new look squad and game plan. I'm happy to give them another season to see what they can manage. After that Cockers only has one deal and options become available.
Its all relative. Mid table would be a great season for some teams. Mediocrity for Tigers is fourth and getting knocked out in the semi's. Fifth is beyond comprehension. We shall see in due course if Cockers survives by the skin of his teeth....... or not.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

SIBARITE wrote:
sam16111986 wrote:Mediocrity would be mid table. We've been consistently above average. We'd all prefer the team to excel but changing DOR does not guarantee that (have you seen Quins this season?). Add to that the club are already undertaking several projects and trying to keep up with the increased salary cap, perhaps there isn't the money to consider paying two DORs for the next two seasons (paying off Cockers and then signing another).

Its all relative. Mid table would be a great season for some teams. Mediocrity for Tigers is fourth and getting knocked out in the semi's. Fifth is beyond comprehension. We shall see in due course if Cockers survives by the skin of his teeth....... or not.
So if fourth is mediocre, third must be barely adequate, second might be ok, first could be begrudgingly said to be verging on good.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete »

ourla wrote:
Tigerpete wrote:I think the issue is that people are looking at the last two games and saying don't worry we will improve and here's some stats to prove it. Well here is another stat, we have been underperforming for the last 3 years not the last 2 games, and that for me is the issue that is being ignored.........
What does that mean it exactly? Are you saying you have a guaranteed performance level that the club should meet each and every season? What is that level?

And give we have underperformed for the last three seasons.. what do you think should happen? Which members of the board, coaching and player staff would you like to cut?
I'm not quite sure what you don't understand. We have the biggest revenues, the biggest fan base and the biggest attendances. We have under performed for 3 years. The board will not change themselves, but perhaps, just perhaps, they should look at bringing in the best coach. Look what happened with England when those in power finally looked at the issues.

To your question "What is that level" well it used to be finishing in the top 1 or 2 and competing in the Final at Twickenham every year. Making excuses and lowering Standards is not what we should be doing. Not every team can win, but every team would love to have the advantages that we have....
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

h's dad wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:

So if fourth is mediocre, third must be barely adequate, second might be ok, first could be begrudgingly said to be verging on good. The deluded outlook of the vicarious no-hoper.

I'd say he has more cause for pessimism that optimism at this point in time.
Last edited by Roly on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Please can we keep this on topic......if you wish to discuss the whys and wherefores of Cockerill and the coaches, please feel free to start a new thread.
Please respect all users opinions.

Thanks
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tigerpete wrote:I'm not quite sure what you don't understand. We have the biggest revenues, the biggest fan base and the biggest attendances. We have under performed for 3 years. The board will not change themselves, but perhaps, just perhaps, they should look at bringing in the best coach. Look what happened with England when those in power finally looked at the issues.

To your question "What is that level" well it used to be finishing in the top 1 or 2 and competing in the Final at Twickenham every year. Making excuses and lowering Standards is not what we should be doing. Not every team can win, but every team would love to have the advantages that we have....
I don't know how about revenues but there are several teams that spend up to the salary cap same as we do and have the resources in terms of coaching and facilities equal to ours. So in purely financial terms I don't buy the expectation.

I am not making excuses or accepting lower standards. There is a lot of talk about what "Eddie Jones" did for England but you've got to remember we only get him because of the disaster bestowed on us by Lancaster and his coaching team. If Tigers had a season equivalent to Englands RWC then there is no doubt in my mind Cockers we'd resign long before any board decision would be required. Now I get the argument that many people could see that train wreck coming and we should act now rather than watch the calamity occur. But Cockers has been around a lot longer than Lancaster, has a better track record and tried to address the issues with new coaches, style, personnel, a shake up of the Academy, etc. I for one thought last season was a good one. And I am not prepared to get caught up in frenzy for change just yet. It's worth remembering also that we talk a lot about how Tigers look after their own. Apart from Hansen the coaching staff is loaded with ex-Tigers. We need to be careful, not sentimental. But there could be long term consequences of doing what some are suggesting. Who knows, maybe I'm too cautious. We got rid of Deano.