Tigers v Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Wasps

Post by ourla »

Think we will miss TV more than Manu right now.

Expecting a more controlled performance this week.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Thank god Robson isn't playing for them.

I don't think Leicester show Ben Youngs enough respect. He should be starting, he is the better player.

Interesting to hear what is up with Manu
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Dom Barrow, Manu and Vianu all came off with injury last week so not surprising they are not in this weeks squad. I agree with Darganj that Ben Youngs is a better scrum half than Sam H but he was late back into pre-season due to being with England in Australia and Sam has done brilliantly for us in Ben's absence, it would be unfair to drop last weeks man of the match; and before it is suggested Sam is not as good a 10 as either Freddie or Owen.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Leicester spent 50 minutes showing all the frailties of execution that bedeviled them in the big games last season. Not wanting to take anything away from Gloucester who showed exemplary hands and support running in that spell, it could be argued that Tigers gifted 3 of the tries with two interceptions (Tait and Betham) and Manu's crass attempts to charge out of the line. Its probably a good thing he isn't in the team this week.

Meanwhile Wasps showed some good invention in the backs but looked a little light of firepower up front, especially at the breakdown. They will need to see a big improvement in that area if they are not to be over-run by Tigers, while the home team will need to improve their support running and just play with a little more nous rather than trying to force everything.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

One of the reasons I continue to pay my season ticket is to see our best players in action. Alas Manu to use RAF parlance is fast becoming a "hanger queen" ie he requires a great deal of regular maintenance and has an unfavorable ratio of maintenance time to game time. Fingers crossed that he can get back to his best and we get to see him in all his pomp :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Frankly their picked backs are better than ours. We will need to dominate in the forwards to win this game - but we are capable of doing so.

I despair over our centres. I've been saying all summer that we are massively short in this position, given Manu's injury record and Toomua's late arrival.

Smith is reliable, a good club man, but just look at Wasps options; Gopperth, Daly, Eastmond and Beale!

Cockers has concentrated too much on improving the pack at the expense of the centres. Even now all the talk is about a new No. 8 not a centre.

I could be wrong and Manu have a near injury free season (needs to also get some form) and Toomua likewise (currently badly concussed, not for the first time), hope I am, but fear the worst.

We can still win tomorrow however with the crowd in full voice!!!
Soggypitch
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Smith and Betham looked well balanced in defence as a partnership last season and Thompstone will add some extra strength hopefully will keep Gopperth, Daly and Wade frustrated. We can get to cips through our forwards and although Cips did a job on us last season @ Welford road Simpson is no Stringer and if we can get on top of him we SHOULD be able to get on top of Cips.

In fact Smith and Betham where prob our best centre combo last season.

And Soggypitch you know Beale and Eastmond are both injured so why mention them?

Our midfield is fine IMO
Toomua, Smith
Manu, Betham, JPP

I mean you have to balance out the cost we desperately needed to add more strength to out pack and still need an 8, you can't do with having 4 WC centres, Wasps backs are great but the tight 5 is vunerable.

Harrison starts for me ATM he had a excellent game V Glous, and gives Ben a bit extra rest.
mariochanvelli

Post by mariochanvelli »

"It’s obviously been good to train on the back of a win this week, but there’s still been plenty to work on. Our second half performance was far better than our first half last Sunday, and we managed to get ourselves over the line, but we know we’ll need to step up again if we’re to be in with a chance of getting the result we want against the Tigers"
Quote from Dai Young. Just replace sunday with friday and tigers with wasps and it would seem awfully fitting.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

darganj wrote:I don't think Leicester show Ben Youngs enough respect. He should be starting, he is the better player.
Everybody goes on about player welfare then when you give a guy a bit of a rest it's showing disrespect. You can't win.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

sapajo wrote:One of the reasons I continue to pay my season ticket is to see our best players in action.
You are seeing the best that is available.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

ourla wrote:
darganj wrote:I don't think Leicester show Ben Youngs enough respect. He should be starting, he is the better player.
Everybody goes on about player welfare then when you give a guy a bit of a rest it's showing disrespect. You can't win.
Haha I was just thinking this...
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote:
sapajo wrote:One of the reasons I continue to pay my season ticket is to see our best players in action.
You are seeing the best that is available.
Obviously :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I agree that Ben Youngs is the better scrum half but I would have been massively surprised if he had been picked ahead of Harrison after his man of the match faultless performance last week.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

ourla wrote:
You can, rest him against Worcester (away and home) and Bristol (away and home) and Newcastle at home.

Not Wasps at home when he wants to keep the England starting 9 shirt. He must be fuming
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

darganj wrote:
ourla wrote:
You can, rest him against Worcester (away and home) and Bristol (away and home) and Newcastle at home.

Not Wasps at home when he wants to keep the England starting 9 shirt. He must be fuming
1) Player welfare does not = rest players at your convenience.

2) What makes you think his England shirt is under threat?