Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Excuses

Post by Old Hob »

Here's a different response from a DOR after a dire performance:

From the BBC sport website:

Northampton director of rugby Jim Mallinder: "It was difficult. We haven't had any rain in training and it is a completely different game when it rains. We are all learning, but there were some positive aspects as well.

"We want to get our balance right between our attacking and defensive game and we will be swapping and changing throughout the season.

"Defensively we were very strong, generally they didn't create any chances and we were putting them under a lot of pressure, but attacking-wise we still have some things work on."
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Excuses

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Is it officially autumn now?

Saints had better watch they don't get the wrong sort of leaves on the pitch too.

People talk about Cockers' position being under pressure, Mallinder really can't have much credit left in the bank.

Reminds me of Comical Ali........Comical Jim :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

On Friday, whilst shopping in Leicester, I bumped into an ex-colleague, who is a Saints STH. He wasn't enthusiastic about the coming season, and thought that his DoR would be gone if Saints didn't make the playoffs. He was saying that recruitment there is iffy, with Picamoles being the prime example. He said they already had a perfectly good back row, but they needed a flyhalf. He said that paying the money out for North was stupid if they didn't give him the ball.
His last comment was 'At least you have a decent pitch now'!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Old Hob wrote:Here's a different response from a DOR after a dire performance:

From the BBC sport website:

Northampton director of rugby Jim Mallinder: "It was difficult. We haven't had any rain in training and it is a completely different game when it rains. We are all learning, but there were some positive aspects as well.

"We want to get our balance right between our attacking and defensive game and we will be swapping and changing throughout the season.

"Defensively we were very strong, generally they didn't create any chances and we were putting them under a lot of pressure, but attacking-wise we still have some things work on."
I'm not sure I've ever heard RC say this, but its often opined on here that 'Tigers will be alright when the pitches firm up in Spring....'

Obviously the rain suits Saints better than it does Tigers...
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I think if he has another bad season Mallender will be sacked.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Noddy555 wrote:I think if he has another bad season Mallender will be sacked.
Stains fans needn't worry if Voldemort Snr is sacked - his replacement is getting back into the swing of things...

"Stuart Lancaster has joined Leinster under Leo Cullen as a senior coach for the rest of the season." ESR

:smt005
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37275289

Interesting to contrast these & other comments coming out of Northampton with another coach (Rob Baxter) who's team lost at the weekend but said this :-
"Overall, the way I would look at it is we have put in a pretty good base-line with our first performance.

"The guys needed a really tough game to get the legs and the lungs going. We are up and running now. Of course, I would have liked to have won. Am I hugely disappointed with the performance? No.

"There were a few frustrating elements there, but nothing that we can't put right very quickly."
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

tigercaspian wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37275289

Interesting to contrast these & other comments coming out of Northampton with another coach (Rob Baxter) who's team lost at the weekend but said this :-
"Overall, the way I would look at it is we have put in a pretty good base-line with our first performance.

"The guys needed a really tough game to get the legs and the lungs going. We are up and running now. Of course, I would have liked to have won. Am I hugely disappointed with the performance? No.

"There were a few frustrating elements there, but nothing that we can't put right very quickly."
Just emphasises the impression I always get of Baxter, not only is he a thoroughly competent and knowledgeable coach, he is also a really nice bloke who tells it, politely, like it is.

As for Voldemort......
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

The contrast is not so surprising - given his achievements at Exeter Rob Baxter must have the longest line of credit going - is nothing short of incredible what he's done overall at that club and he's probably the least vulnerable coach in the country as a result, so can speak freely. Whereas Saints appear to have stalled and started going backwards over the last 2 seasons, despite the money invested, hence Voldemort feeling the pressure.

Saints look a bit like Tigers a couple of years ago where it was hard to know what we were trying to achieve when we went on the pitch (not saying that all is rosy here, but definitely better than it was) and it was not clear what was being imparted by the coaches, or any positive effect of this. Rudderless and lacking in creativity or intent would about sum it up.
Joe The Tigers Fan
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

strawclearer wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:I think if he has another bad season Mallender will be sacked.
Stains fans needn't worry if Voldemort Snr is sacked - his replacement is getting back into the swing of things...

"Stuart Lancaster has joined Leinster under Leo Cullen as a senior coach for the rest of the season." ESR

:smt005
Perhaps SLancaster can learn something from a distinguished former Tiger; he certainly has a long way to go!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Jim Mallender has a reasonable record in getting his teams (Saints and Sale) there or thereabouts and an abysmal record when it comes to winning front line competitions i.e. Premiership and Champions Cup, I do not count the Challenge Cup as it is played by previous season's failures.
Last edited by Cagey Tiger on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I'm just hoping that when we play them the weather on match day is completely different from that of the previous week. :smt043
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina