London Welsh

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

London Welsh

Post by strawclearer »

Bad news from the BBC about London Welsh - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37259590

Should this be left to market forces; do they hope for a 'sugar daddy'; or should the RFU step in?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: London Welsh

Post by Doghashadhisday »

I wonder if we will see headlines like that for Saracens, Bath and Wasps eventually :smt003
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Doghashadhisday wrote:I wonder if we will see headlines like that for Saracens, Bath and Wasps eventually :smt003
I doubt that the movers and shakers (i.e. the very rich) will end up with crippling points deductions.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Doghashadhisday wrote:I wonder if we will see headlines like that for Saracens, Bath and Wasps eventually :smt003
No!

They are too big... LW are not a big club, the others have big conglomerate backing.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

You would have thought that the Welsh RFU who have so trumpeted a presence in the English capital for so long would stump up with what was required or shut up completely. Sadly I think neither of those scenarios will play out.
Yorkshire man
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkshire man »

I am afraid that what may happen to LW almost happened to Rotherham after their brief second visit to the premiership. Both were clubs whose grounds didn't meet requirements, promoted late, and had to spend large sums of money on players who overall were not really up to premiership standards. The crippler in this financial nightmare of course is on top of that they both had to pay for grounds to play at. Effectively their visits to the premiership cost them huge sums of money, far more than was generated. Rotherham have survived, although I understand things are still tight, lets hope LW do. On my few visits to their home at Richmond we were always given a great welcome and the post match festivities were always exceptional.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Not sure about the legal position but is that an opportunity for a Premiership club to secure a Championship position for a development/feeder team with dual registered players.
MJB

Post by MJB »

Good news - LW have paid off their debts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37259590
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Agreed it's good news but perhaps they should take a long hard look at Bedford's approach to understand what might be good for them in the future............